Revo K101 - GBA Clone ( formally "competition time" thread )

Urm, you're overlooking the Acer Revo ;) I have two of them at my house, both connected to TVs :D

Ahhh, yes! The back of my mind new there was something else. It's a brand for a few other things, too, but nothing related.

RAINBOWS!

revo-k101-g.jpg

I've always wanted to have enough GBA at home for a Zelda 4 swords GBA/NGC or FF:CC on NGC with friends.

The K101 looks good, it probably has a better screen than the original GBA/GBAsp and is sold with a linker, you've got my attention ^_^

I would have loved a GBA micro clone, though. It had a pretty good screen, it was compact and good looking.

Maybe for the next iteration of the K1XX series :ph34r:
According to the designer/ project manager (same person) of this console, the K101 has a 3-inch custom-made 960*480 scree with a K1 card which can do hardware AA.

I don't know if it can be called a duel core system, as it has an A7 + A9 infrastructure. At the current stage, A9 isn't even being utilized; the system has some potential.

According to the designer/ project manager (same person) of this console, the K101 has a 3-inch custom-made 960*480 scree with a K1 card which can do hardware AA.

I don't know if it can be called a duel core system, as it has an A7 + A9 infrastructure. At the current stage, A9 isn't even being utilized; the system has some potential.

Quite nice screen if it's real. A7 + A9 duo, if used well can be quite nice.

A nice piece of hardware, are they releasing an optimized SDK?

Even only for the GBA compatibility it was an interesting gaming device, now you're telling me it can do more…

Heh, just need to wait till the release and get some money ready, then.

EDIT: looks like it's available for pre-order at 60$ for the handheld, a cheap pouch, more than probably low quality headphones and a 4Go memory card. But it looks like it's only available in white, I'm going to wait until they get more colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it better to grave dig than start a new thread for this, as there's some device discussion here, too.

I now have my Revo K101, and am actually really enjoying it. It has some flaws, like really weird loose jiggley shoulder buttons. But it's a great GBA clone on which I'm thoroughly enjoying playing Golden Sun at the moment.

I haven't looked much into other platforms. I'm playing a dump of Golden Sun, rather than my original cartridge, which is handy because I don't have to overwrite my old saves, and also I can stick my other games on there too. It runs the cartridge fine, though, just as I'd expect a "GBA" to do.

Screen is great, although lacking in protection due to it not having any plastic in front. And face buttons are all good, despite the weird shoulder buttons.

Getting the firmware updated and the software up and running is an exercise for the ardent Googler though, not much English documentation available, or at least not any I could find.

I have mine too, and am impressed esp for the price. I agree with gadgetoid, although I actually quite like the shoulder buttons and the slightly longer travel distance, somehow feels more visceral.

Overall it has quite a solidly built feel, despite being so light. D-pad, whilst no pandora, seems pretty good from the games I've played ( mind you, I haven't tried it on any fighters as I'm not sure there were any good ones on gba in any event).

I think there have been some save game issues on bigger roms, but haven't tried the new firmware yet which supposedly fixes.

GBA fans look no further, good value little machine. Oddly I find it somewhat appealing as a GBA only machine (apart from the emulated stuff like nes etc) - when I switch on my pandora, I have to decide which system to launch before I even choose a rom - sometimes you can be too spoiled for choice :)

Cheers

Simon

I keep checking the k101 website to see if they have stock. Still on pre orders at the moment, might pick one up when they have stock. The gba was/is a great little machine with some cool games.

Aside of GBA, what this device do? It's compatbile with GB/GBC or it is using the Goomba emulator?

Its a cool device, and i like it, but my poor Pandora is at the moment only second,

Its no competitor to the Pandora/Pyra, but nice to have

And the Original GBA was beautefull??? , or the Gameboy Brick??

Dont be that survacly,

This dont have to look good, its only the matter it works..

Whit diverent colored buttons, it would shure look better, but maybe this way was the mold cheaper..

I remember the GBA SP was still expensive when i got my DS Light..

Thangs to Gameboy Emulation, i can make Savestates in GB Games..

Back