Revoloution Revealed

mr twit posted on May 17 2005 at 07:10 PM said:
Just watched the Ninty conference, though I missed most of it. I'm a little annoyed that they revealed so little about the Revolution, but what they did say impressed me. It looks astounding, and the ability to download nes, snes and n64 games to it sounds brilliant.
Judging by the screenshots of Xbox 360 and PS3 games (some of which were clearly not in-game footage), I wouldn't be surprised if the Rev had comparable graphics. I mean what game is ever going to need 35 times the power of the xbox or whatever? They will be able to astound us with smoother curves! Realistically animated grass! And needlessly shiny cars! I'm certainly not holding my breath.
Thaat super-backwards compatability does sound cool, I want one! First Ninty console ever I wanted, but I want one!!
Who gives a fook about impossible to use features?
Go Nintendo!
(And Square Enix)

Last edited by a moderator:
i just read the article on gamespot and the revolution sounds like nothing new. Where's the revolution, hopefully not in the controllers. Or is the Gameboy micro the revolution?? Sounds dumb to me, like the GBA is going by way of N-gage

KickinWing posted on May 17 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
i just read the article on gamespot and the revolution sounds like nothing new. Where's the revolution, hopefully not in the controllers. Or is the Gameboy micro the revolution?? Sounds dumb to me, like the GBA is going by way of N-gage
They havent revealed any of the revolutionary features yet. Pretty much all they've said is that its online and plays nes snes n64 and gc games.

mr twit posted on May 17 2005 at 06:10 PM said:
Just watched the Ninty conference, though I missed most of it. I'm a little annoyed that they revealed so little about the Revolution, but what they did say impressed me. It looks astounding, and the ability to download nes, snes and n64 games to it sounds brilliant.
Judging by the screenshots of Xbox 360 and PS3 games (some of which were clearly not in-game footage), I wouldn't be surprised if the Rev had comparable graphics. I mean what game is ever going to need 35 times the power of the xbox or whatever? They will be able to astound us with smoother curves! Realistically animated grass! And needlessly shiny cars! I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Mr Twit, I too love Nintendo. I honestly think they have produced some of the most 'genius' fuelled games of my lifetime. But things like 'shiny cars' DO matter, otherwise we would still be playing pong. There isn't yet a level of "Okay, we've got the graphics sorted, let's look at other things!"

I know it's about so much more than graphics, but there was a day when Ninty was bringing out the great graphic systems (Snes!). And I know that the most impressive specs don't win the war, it's the games. And Ninty make great games. (well, they used too :huh: ).

But the Sony presentation was so impressive. Those in game videos WERE ingame. The Killzone demo was real. I think playing a game like that is going to be incredibly exciting-so much going on in the peripheries as in a real war etc. wow! And Sony said all the right things, about how they have strong franchises-but look, here are our new games etc. They just seem to know exactly what they are doing in this direction.

But Ninty 'seem' to be only offering us a 2 or 3 times powerful Game cube. Now I now that's still powerful enough, but the public ain't gonna buy it! At least not outside Japan. And that's not good for any of us! All us Xbox, psp lovers must acknowledge the sega, ataris etc that are not with us hardware wise.

I think there will still be enough loyal nintendoers across the world to make the next ninty machine pay for itself regardless. But the next one....?

The Xbox hasn't got such a following. In fact there are people I know who would never buy one cos of Microsoft. SO unless they can really compete with Sony, they could be buggered!

But I want them all to succeed! The more that do the better for all of us (at least those with cash to spend :) ).

I just hope Ninty has something large and succulent up it's Silken Sleave......

:D

mr twit posted on May 17 2005 at 06:10 PM said:
It looks astounding, and the ability to download nes, snes and n64 games to it sounds brilliant.

wow,does that mean they get to recycle even more old games?that's genious!

but wait,mh,downloading old games and playing them on a console,wait,where have i seen it before..mh...

DaveC posted on May 17 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
Kop_007 posted on May 17 2005 at 04:09 PM said:
Looks a bit like a PS2.

So far, based on the inside specs it's PS3 for me, for the looks it's the XBOX360.

I dont know where that leaves Nintendo.

In the dust?

Honestly the PS3 absolutely blows everything else away. The moral? Don't fuck with Sony, they will DESTROY you. I am suprised that the cought Microsoft and Nintendo napping like they did. With all of their money and they will release a system half as powerful as the PS3. I would have thought it to be a little closer in power. 360 stuff looks like buffed up PC games, the PS3 stuff looks real. I have a feeling that the 360 will bomb. Everyone will just wait on the sidelines for the better PS3, it is only 6 months away from the 360, and it even plays HD Bluray movies. If I were MS I would scrap the 360 now and either get out of the game business, or come back in 5 years with some real hardware.

And before you lable me a Sony fanboi, in this current generation I like the Xbox best, I haven't touched my PS2 for a year.
stfu M$ might not be revealing everything about 360. they are trying to get backwards compatibility. they cna still improve it and their games both look the same graphically.

lubidog posted on May 17 2005 at 07:17 PM said:
Mr Twit, I too love Nintendo. I honestly think they have produced some of the most 'genius' fuelled games of my lifetime. But things like 'shiny cars' DO matter, otherwise we would still be playing pong. There isn't yet a level of "Okay, we've got the graphics sorted, let's look at other things!"
While I don't disagree that graphics are important in console gaming, what I mean is that the supposed "35x the power of the PS2" that the PS3 has is massive overkill. Whether or not the footage they've shown is in-game (which I highly doubt, they didnt look like a game would), there will not be games of that standard for a very long time. Can you imagine just how much a single game with graphics, modelling, sound and animation of that quality would cost to make, let alone how long it would take to make? Even with the potential to do this, I doubt games will reach this calibre for at least another 10 years, by which time they will be rolling out their next consoles :p Instead, the power will be used on useless crap like animating individual pieces of dust or something that will not affect the game at all.

But Ninty 'seem' to be only offering us a 2 or 3 times powerful Game cube. Now I now that's still powerful enough, but the public ain't gonna buy it! At least not outside Japan. And that's not good for any of us! All us Xbox, psp lovers must acknowledge the sega, ataris etc that are not with us hardware wise.
You have the public confused with the relatively few elitist computer-geek gamers who will actually care what is powering their consoles. The majority of people don't have a clue about the power of their consoles. It is easy to get a skewed view like this on the internet, as almost everyone you find will be one of these people.
In fact, the public has pretty much always bought the weaker system:
Nes vs SMS = Nes
Snes vs Megadrive = Snes
N64 vs PS1 = PS1
PS2 vs Xbox vs GC = PS2
Gameboy vs Gamegear = Gameboy

All that said, I think the next console race is going to be a close one, with each competitor having a certain advantage, the PS3 has the Playstation name and the power, the Xbox has Xbox Live and the Rev has the massive catalogue of retro games, the cheap price and whatever the revolutionary features are.

I am extremely disappointed in Nintendo. I HAVE all the NES, SNES, and N64 games I want as hard copies or on my computer, so why would they thing I'll be gushing over having them on a console, which is supposed to be playing NEW, next-gen games (any money says in a year or so after their release the PS3 and X360 will have emulators that play the same games without having to purchase them again). And yeah, GC backwards compatability is good, but I don't just want to play the games that I already can play... not to mention the fact that the GameCube release schedule has all but dried up for months now.

I like the design, and that's the only thing about this console that I have any semblance of an interest in. Even Sega wouldn't have been dumb enough to try a stunt like this. <_<

just watched the Nintendo video and they said they were only giving hints or something and not revealing all of it but from what they said it sounds awesome

going to watch the sony vid now

mr twit posted on May 17 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
lubidog posted on May 17 2005 at 07:17 PM said:
While I don't disagree that graphics are important in console gaming, what I mean is that the supposed "35x the power of the PS2" that the PS3 has is massive overkill. Whether or not the footage they've shown is in-game (which I highly doubt, they didnt look like a game would), there will not be games of that standard for a very long time. Can you imagine just how much a single game with graphics, modelling, sound and animation of that quality would cost to make, let alone how long it would take to make? Even with the potential to do this, I doubt games will reach this calibre for at least another 10 years, by which time they will be rolling out their next consoles :p Instead, the power will be used on useless crap like animating individual pieces of dust or something that will not affect the game at all.

You have the public confused with the relatively few elitist computer-geek gamers who will actually care what is powering their consoles. The majority of people don't have a clue about the power of their consoles. It is easy to get a skewed view like this on the internet, as almost everyone you find will be one of these people.
In fact, the public has pretty much always bought the weaker system:
Nes vs SMS = Nes
Snes vs Megadrive = Snes
N64 vs PS1 = PS1
PS2 vs Xbox vs GC = PS2
Gameboy vs Gamegear = Gameboy

All that said, I think the next console race is going to be a close one, with each competitor having a certain advantage, the PS3 has the Playstation name and the power, the Xbox has Xbox Live and the Rev has the massive catalogue of retro games, the cheap price and whatever the revolutionary features are.

I agree that the next race will be close, and exciting for those of us that have no company bias. And your point about which console wins is one I absolutely subscribe to! The public just don't care about specs, but about games and style.

But I DO think that this 35*PS2 is important. Picture the scene, you are a casual gamer. You wander into Game, there is a revolution with nice Ninty graphics. "Cool", you think. There is an Xbox "Wow!", you think. Then you see some kids actually playing what looks like an actual movie " !" you think. Before you know what's happening you are at the till with your credit card out! And the presentation WAS showing us actual ingame graphics! The half life engine was undoubtably live, the Killzone was real. It's no good saying you don't believe it cos game s don't look like that, cos that's the point-games now don't look like that but games tomorrow WILL!!! And if they do on one console, and not the other....you get my drift. If the next gen consoles only made games that looked like todays games then what's the point!

About being so complicated that developers won't be able to utilise the new powers, I have that fear too! But they said the same thing before the Xbox, and they have done incredible stuff on there, so I think SOME developers will. Undoubtably some will waste this power, but if a few push the hardware, and fewer but better games are made, then all to the good!

You seem really worried by the PS3s power. It's gotta be good, and exciting for all of us. I will still buy the next Ninty console for sure. IMO they have never let us down. BTW some of the games in your siglist for the DS are coming out for the psp. But Animal Crossing won't, and it's for that reason that I will keep my DS. But I will buy Black and White on the PSP :p

shinneri posted on May 17 2005 at 08:28 PM said:
why would they thing I'll be gushing over having them on a console, which is supposed to be playing NEW, next-gen games (any money says in a year or so after their release the PS3 and X360 will have emulators that play the same games without having to purchase them again).

I'm extremely surprised anyone on this board is actually complaining about being given the option of playing retro games.

and I welcome the ability to play them legally, for once.

If you really have the hard copies then hook up your snes, nes and n64 and stop bitching <_< As for the rest of us, I think this idea is pretty cool.

c0ncept posted on May 17 2005 at 04:38 PM said:
shinneri posted on May 17 2005 at 08:28 PM said:
why would they thing I'll be gushing over having them on a console, which is supposed to be playing NEW, next-gen games (any money says in a year or so after their release the PS3 and X360 will have emulators that play the same games without having to purchase them again).

I'm extremely surprised anyone on this board is actually complaining about being given the option of playing retro games.

and I welcome the ability to play them legally, for once.

If you really have the hard copies then hook up your snes, nes and n64 and stop bitching <_< As for the rest of us, I think this idea is pretty cool.
There's nothing wrong with giving this as an option. But it appears to me that that will be the central focus, which is very bad. The Rev will be so vastly underpowered compared to the other consoles that I don't know how they could ever be considered in competition with PS3 or X360. I know, you can't get the Nintendo games anywhere else, but I'd like something other that first-party titles. I just don't see how an extremely underpowered machine like this could attract third parties.

A retro machine is good, but not if you aren't looking for one.

Does the original poster have the source where he got his information? Because I have not come across anywhere where Nintendo have mentioned that the Rev will be "two to three times more powerful than the Gamecube". In fact, in their conference, Iwata specifically said "We won't be revealing what's inside the box just yet". I very much doubt that Nintendo would mention the power if it really was just 2 to 3 times as powerful, especially since Microsoft and Sony's presentations concentrated completely on the vast power of their consoles.

Edit:
Also,
There's nothing wrong with giving this as an option. But it appears to me that that will be the central focus, which is very bad.
It does not seem like the central focus at all, in fact, Iwata only mentioned this fact very briefly while talking about it's backwards compatibility. Presumably it will just be a nice extra feature to draw in the retro crowds like the NES classics on GBA.

mr twit posted on May 17 2005 at 05:41 PM said:
Does the original poster have the source where he got his information? Because I have not come across anywhere where Nintendo have mentioned that the Rev will be "two to three times more powerful than the Gamecube". In fact, in their conference, Iwata specifically said "We won't be revealing what's inside the box just yet". I very much doubt that Nintendo would mention the power if it really was just 2 to 3 times as powerful, especially since Microsoft and Sony's presentations concentrated completely on the vast power of their consoles.

Edit:
Also,
There's nothing wrong with giving this as an option. But it appears to me that that will be the central focus, which is very bad.
It does not seem like the central focus at all, in fact, Iwata only mentioned this fact very briefly while talking about it's backwards compatibility. Presumably it will just be a nice extra feature to draw in the retro crowds like the NES classics on GBA.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17/ne..._pressconf1.asx

"By Nintendo's own admission, according to a report from USA Today, the system is two to three times as powerful as its current-generation console, the GameCube. Sony's PlayStation 3, announced yesterday, is reportedly dozens of times powerful than its predecessor, the PlayStation 2. "

mr twit posted on May 17 2005 at 04:41 PM said:

Edit:
Also,
I could of sworn he said it was in teh conf.

runescape=crap posted on May 17 2005 at 07:58 PM said:
DaveC posted on May 17 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
Kop_007 posted on May 17 2005 at 04:09 PM said:
Looks a bit like a PS2.

So far, based on the inside specs it's PS3 for me, for the looks it's the XBOX360.

I dont know where that leaves Nintendo.

In the dust?

Honestly the PS3 absolutely blows everything else away. The moral? Don't fuck with Sony, they will DESTROY you. I am suprised that the cought Microsoft and Nintendo napping like they did. With all of their money and they will release a system half as powerful as the PS3. I would have thought it to be a little closer in power. 360 stuff looks like buffed up PC games, the PS3 stuff looks real. I have a feeling that the 360 will bomb. Everyone will just wait on the sidelines for the better PS3, it is only 6 months away from the 360, and it even plays HD Bluray movies. If I were MS I would scrap the 360 now and either get out of the game business, or come back in 5 years with some real hardware.

And before you lable me a Sony fanboi, in this current generation I like the Xbox best, I haven't touched my PS2 for a year.
stfu M$ might not be revealing everything about 360. they are trying to get backwards compatibility. they cna still improve it and their games both look the same graphically.

You are dreaming. 2 Tflops beats 1 Tflop, and BluRay beats DVD. Plus the memory is faster in the PS3 too 3.2 Gig vs 360's paltry 700 Mhz. No matter how much we may have liked the current Xbox, you must admit they really fucked up bad with the weak specs of the new one.

no one's denying that the ps3 is more powerful, it's just that it's not SO much more powerful. the XDR memory will be clocked at 3.2 ghz, but it's a diff format than the GDD3 or whatever the 360 uses, so you can't compare on clock speed alone.
in any case, the ps3 will of course be considerably more powerful than the 360, but whether we'll see games that really show the power gap is what you should worry about. i'm really hoping though, that we'll see stuff that really looks like what was displayed in those tech demos...but does that ever happen? well, gotta be optimistic...

and get off sony's nuts, ok? what is this "don't fuck with sony, they will DESTROY you!" nonesense?

junker posted on May 18 2005 at 04:06 AM said:
and get off sony's nuts, ok? what is this "don't fuck with sony, they will DESTROY you!" nonesense?

Sony makes the l337357 hardware around! (when it don't break)

You will notice 2X the power. The 360 was powerful, so 2X that will be astounding.

i really think the graphics from both systems won't be too far apart...
who knows, though? let's wait for the games!!!

RoboJoe32 posted on May 17 2005 at 05:14 PM said:
well c0ncept, while the sig is true. Market-wise, it's very -dumb- to release something vastly under the expected specs of the market.

Agreed. If there's ever be a really strong reason to think that Nintendo are not going to stay in the console race, this might just be it. It's bad enough they have to fight to shake off their kiddy image (which keeps many people from wanting to buy) and that they have to deal with the least amount of third party support (which keeps people from wanting to buy, but now they will have the weakest system on the market by FAR? NOT the best way to increase sales.

I guess the only Revolution games will only be shown as video footage at E3 :( I'll be there starting tommorow (next three days going to be HELL) hopefully I'll get a better idea of exactly what the system is capable of compared to what I've already seen for Xbox and PS3. From what I'm hearing they will NOT show whatever 'innovation' they are planning though... no controllers will be shown, supposedly. All questions answered tommorow!

Back