Racemaniac

Scorched GP programmer
Website
Visit site
splash.jpg

New version, with lots of new things :)
-some weapons have trails :)
-some extra weapons
-ai has been made stronger and selects the weapon it shoots with smart (i hope :p)
-rounds, with buying weapons in between :)
-health shown above the tank
-menus made a bit less responsive, i hope it's okay now :)
-improoved land and sky graphics (changable colors will be for next version :) )
-the game has a name, it's own fxe, with own icon and splashscreen
-lots of bugfixes (music resetting, noise when switching music, roller bullet not hitting,...)

controls:
A: firing/selecting a menu option
B: returning to the main menu
Directional pad: going through the menu options/altering them, changing power/angle of the tank
Start: stopping the current game, and return to main menu
L/R:choosing the next/previous weapon

that should be all, if you find any bugs or things you'd like to see changed, let me know here, i'll see what i can do :)

*NOTICE*i've update the zip at 23h, the long loading after you finish a game is fixed, you can redownload the game, or just the little patch you can find in this thread :)
download here: http://users.pandora.be/racemaniac/Fenix/ScorchedGPBeta2.zip

Racemaniac posted on Sep 28 2005 at 05:21 PM said:
splash.jpg

New version, with lots of new things :)
-some weapons have trails :)
-some extra weapons
-ai has been made stronger and selects the weapon it shoots with smart (i hope :p)
-rounds, with buying weapons in between :)
-health shown above the tank
-menus made a bit less responsive, i hope it's okay now :)
-improoved land and sky graphics (changable colors will be for next version :) )
-the game has a name, it's own fxe, with own icon and splashscreen
-lots of bugfixes (music resetting, noise when switching music, roller bullet not hitting,...)

controls:
A: firing/selecting a menu option
B: returning to the main menu
Directional pad: going through the menu options/altering them, changing power/angle of the tank
Start: stopping the current game, and return to main menu
L/R:choosing the next/previous weapon

that should be all, if you find any bugs or things you'd like to see changed, let me know here, i'll see what i can do :)

Could bitmapped background images be added? I could think of drawing some cool ones to spiff up the graphics a bit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Sep 28 2005 at 06:47 PM said:
Could bitmapped background images be added? I could think of drawing some cool ones to spiff up the graphics a bit :)
hmm, no idea, i'll check out what's possible :)
@green, that's the link indeed ^^

Racemaniac posted on Sep 28 2005 at 05:51 PM said:
Could bitmapped background images be added?  I could think of drawing some cool ones to spiff up the graphics a bit  :)

Are the mountains random generated or pre-drawn? If you are interested I may have a go at some of the graphics a bit. You could like change mountain/backgrounds depending on level etc.

DaveC posted on Sep 28 2005 at 07:08 PM said:
Racemaniac posted on Sep 28 2005 at 05:51 PM said:
Could bitmapped background images be added?   I could think of drawing some cool ones to spiff up the graphics a bit  :)

Are the mountains random generated or pre-drawn? If you are interested I may have a go at some of the graphics a bit. You could like change mountain/backgrounds depending on level etc.
they're generated, but i'm still pretty new to fenix, so i din't really know what's possible :)
it might be possible to make one of both, or even both a bitmap, but i'de have to take a look at how :)

okay, i've taken a look at it, should be possible, i've for a quick test taken the splashscreen as background, and it worked :)
so i can convert the game to use bitmaps for terrain/background :) (or even both probably)

about the backgrounds/mountains:
i can draw any background instead of the gradient i got now :), i just have to add it in the (or a :)) fpg file :)
i can also draw any map for terrain, but it would best then to either have a general terrain bitmap that can take any shape my program generates, completely predefinded terrains seem pretty boring to me :)

i'll now test how the version that uses the splashscreen for background works on the gp32, i don't think it'll give any slowdowns, but you never know...
runs perfectly on the gp32 :)

if you got some background or terrain to test with, send it :)

Sweet, and I think the generated background looks great :D

And it should be possible to add texture to the hills somehow...

Oh and I`m not able to compile your source :blink: "DCB not found" when I click compile&run, nothing happens when I just click compile...

And I found a bug: The game hang up, when no player has any ammo left (atleast I think that was the cause), you should make sure to have for one weapon (the standart one?) unlimited ammo all the time.

Shikigami posted on Sep 28 2005 at 08:58 PM said:
Thanx you for this great game racemaniac  :) When i win/lose a battle and press B to return menu, my gp freeze  ;)
strange, i'll check it out immediatly
any special things you have to do for it to happen?
i just cancelled a game by pressing start and it still worked, now i'm playing a standard game of 3 rounds :)

hmm, i just experienced it too, but it didn't freeze, it only needed some time to load (about 10-15s), i hope the same for you?
i'll check out immediatly what causes this bug (is one of the things i don't notice when testing on the pc, it's WAAAYYY faster)

I had that freezing thing happen to me as well.

I really like the new version except for one mayor thing:

Why did you pick the default palette? All that dithering on the background and the mountains looks really bad. I'd really prefer if you'd use a custom palette OR pick a smooth set of colors out of the default palette.

Dryer Lint posted on Sep 28 2005 at 10:00 PM said:
I had that freezing thing happen to me as well.

I really like the new version except for one mayor thing:

Why did you pick the default palette? All that dithering on the background and the mountains looks really bad. I'd really prefer if you'd use a custom palette OR pick a smooth set of colors out of the default palette.
it's only 256 colors, and the colors will be changable, so this is the best i can do(the terrain looks awesome in shades of blue :) )...

although maybe i'll support premade backgrounds/terrain :), i'm not yet sure how exactly i'd implement that , but we'll see :), but i'll need to learn more about fenix for that, as i'd probably have to read some config file about custom backgrounds/terrains being available :)

does the dithering bother you that much? most people appear to like it :)

btw, i hope people have checked the menu, you can change the startweapons there, if you want to try all the weapons (unless you like the challenge of playing until you can buy them :) )

btw, any comments on things like the ai or so are welcome, i've only done some limited testing, and sometimes it does strange things, but i don't know how it's overall behaviour is :)
i've had an easy opponent take me down in 3 shots once ^^, and i've ahd an easy opponent not hit me for a long time so i could slowly kill him :D

I have the ai on easy and i am still getting killed a LOT. I haven't played it much though and i'm sure ill get better. Great work!

deadlychicken22 posted on Sep 28 2005 at 10:58 PM said:
I have the ai on easy and i am still getting killed a LOT. I haven't played it much though and i'm sure ill get better. Great work!
how many enemies? if it's 1vs1 i have to make the AI easier again ^^, if you're playing with 5 other opponents it's normal to get shot from time to time i think :)
i only hope they never get into a deadlock or so :s, i think most ai problems are away now, they sooner or later have to kill eachother :)

Back