Scorched Gp Beta2

It has happened in 1 vs. 1 but mostly i'm playing with 2 other opponents. I would like it if you made them a little worse in easy mode. Great work, btw.

Found a minor "bug" (not really ;))

The internal name of the .fxe is "Schorched GP"

Great game :) Loved it on my Amiga, will love it on the GP32.

Some suggestions:
- Killing quotes (YES! I miss them! :) The quotes the tanks say randomly when they shoot or get killed).

- Instead of a simple dot above your tank to show the approximate direction, it would be nice if the shooting pipe will show the direction (as in most other Scorched games :))

EvilDragon posted on Sep 29 2005 at 01:13 AM said:
Found a minor "bug" (not really ;))

The internal name of the .fxe is "Schorched GP"

Great game :) Loved it on my Amiga, will love it on the GP32.

Some suggestions:
- Killing quotes (YES! I miss them! :) The quotes the tanks say randomly when they shoot or get killed).

- Instead of a simple dot above your tank to show the approximate direction, it would be nice if the shooting pipe will show the direction (as in most other Scorched games :))
the barrel already does show the direction, but on 7 pixel wide tank the barrel is only 1-2 pixels long, take a close look ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiest posted on Sep 29 2005 at 09:00 AM said:
Are you ignoring my post on purpose?  <_<
lol, i didn't see it ^^
well, if you reduce the ammo that much that people can run out of it, no wonder the game crashes :p, but i'll make a check for that next version :)

about the source, i forgot to include the prg file of the land generation (only an older one is included :) )
you can use the older one i think, but i'll upload the latest one :)

http://users.pandora.be/racemaniac/Fenix/missing.zip
put this prg in the data folder, and it should compile :)

btw, are you ignoring my post in the code snippets thread on purpose :p
please post some snippets about reading/writing files :)

Moogle already did :D And I just didn`t check the Fenix forum for some time, as I was busy experimenting with psp homebrew :D Sorry :)

Just tried this out for the first time- this game is great! I hope you continue working on this, it has already become one of my favorite homebrew titles :)

i think the current music is good :D
i was testing the latest version on my gp32, when i disabled music, the strangest things happened (screwed up menus and the game simply crashing ^^)
and noone noticed so far ^^

*edit* and i already fixed a bug, first featur of the next version ^^
i don't think anybody will mind since noone noticed yet :)

OK, here are some bug reports/questions:

-What is the point of a tracing missile? I'm really confused! And why does the CPU use them so often?
-For some reason, after I finish a game and the GP tells me to press B to return to the main menu, more often than not once I press B the screen just freezes (either that or it's taking a REALLY long time). --OK, I see that this has been addressed--
-How exactly is it calculated who wins? Is it by who has the greatest score in the end? Are scores carried over to the next round if you didn't buy as many weapons in the shop as you could've?
-How exactly is the score calculated? Is it X points for a certain amount of damage that you give to another tank?
-Sometimes the enemy tanks don't notice that there's some land right in front of them that blocks their shot... although they do notice the 2nd or 3rd time around
-which exact point are your missiles projected from? Is it from the little circle or from the tank itself? The reason I ask is that sometimes there's a really thin vertical wall of land in front of an enemy tank, and it somehow seems able to shoot right through it.

And I agree with ED - tank messages would be cool (it would also be really fun if we could add our own! Maybe if you created a txt file with them that users could edit?)

Also, the music is cool, but would it be possible to add some more selections (or let us choose our own)?

Esn posted on Sep 30 2005 at 12:50 AM said:
OK, here are some bug reports/questions:

-What is the point of a tracing missile? I'm really confused! And why does the CPU use them so often?
-For some reason, after I finish a game and the GP tells me to press B to return to the main menu, more often than not once I press B the screen just freezes (either that or it's taking a REALLY long time). --OK, I see that this has been addressed--
-How exactly is it calculated who wins? Is it by who has the greatest score in the end? Are scores carried over to the next round if you didn't buy as many weapons in the shop as you could've?
-How exactly is the score calculated? Is it X points for a certain amount of damage that you give to another tank?
-Sometimes the enemy tanks don't notice that there's some land right in front of them that blocks their shot... although they do notice the 2nd or 3rd time around
-which exact point are your missiles projected from? Is it from the little circle or from the tank itself? The reason I ask is that sometimes there's a really thin vertical wall of land in front of an enemy tank, and it somehow seems able to shoot right through it.

And I agree with ED - tank messages would be cool (it would also be really fun if we could add our own! Maybe if you created a txt file with them that users could edit?)

Also, the music is cool, but would it be possible to add some more selections (or let us choose our own)?
the tracing missile does absolutely nothing, and ,normally the comp should only use it if he's shooting pretty far off ^^
-fixed ;)
-greatest score indeed, and score and money are seperated, don't worry :), you can buy all you can, your score will remain the same
-the score is 25 times the damage you did, and another 2500 if you kill and opponent
-making a good AI isn't easy, there's a random deviation of the calculated shot, so it's pretty hard to see what's an ai mistake and what's just utter randomness :)
-it's about at the circle, not from the tank itself.
-about the music, i'll see what i can do :)

Racemaniac posted on Sep 30 2005 at 07:22 AM said:
the tracing missile does absolutely nothing, and ,normally the comp should only use it if he's shooting pretty far off ^^
But if its purpose is to be a test shot, wouldn't a grenade accomplish the same thing? I'm using the standard settings (unlimited grenades) and the AI keeps using tracing missiles... much more often than seems necessary. The tracing missile seems kind of useless to me, TBH, unless you don't have unlimited supplies of any other ammunition (but then you're screwed anyway).

The tracing missile can be more usefull if it allows you to have one more turn after using it, to fire any other weapon except itself (in this case, of course, a tracing missile would be a coveted item and would have to cost a decent amount of money).

In its current form I'm just not sure what the use is. ;)

greatest score indeed, and score and money are seperated, don't worry :), you can buy all you can, your score will remain the same
So are you saying that the score doesn't reset in between rounds? It seems to me like it does, because I don't seem to have a lot more points the second time I shop for something.

Could you post the scores of all the competitors after the end of a round/game, instead of just saying "player 3 won the game"? That way I'll will be able to see who's leading in points in between rounds, and so I'll obviously try to kill them off quickly. :)

Esn posted on Sep 30 2005 at 09:47 AM said:
Racemaniac posted on Sep 30 2005 at 07:22 AM said:
But if its purpose is to be a test shot, wouldn't a grenade accomplish the same thing? I'm using the standard settings (unlimited grenades) and the AI keeps using tracing missiles... much more often than seems necessary. The tracing missile seems kind of useless to me, TBH, unless you don't have unlimited supplies of any other ammunition (but then you're screwed anyway).

The tracing missile can be more usefull if it allows you to have one more turn after using it, to fire any other weapon except itself (in this case, of course, a tracing missile would be a coveted item and would have to cost a decent amount of money).

In its current form I'm just not sure what the use is. ;)

greatest score indeed, and score and money are seperated, don't worry :), you can buy all you can, your score will remain the same
So are you saying that the score doesn't reset in between rounds? It seems to me like it does, because I don't seem to have a lot more points the second time I shop for something.

Could you post the scores of all the competitors after the end of a round/game, instead of just saying "player 3 won the game"? That way I'll will be able to see who's leading in points in between rounds, and so I'll obviously try to kill them off quickly. :)
every time you hit you gain score and money (the same amount), if you buy something it gets deducted from your money, but not from your score.
and the next round you'll just have the money you've got after buying, it's not that in between roudns you can buy for the amount of money your score is at.

about the tracer: it can only select it when it finds no other viable options, it'll then just take a random weapon of those available. it doesn't take amount of ammo into account :)
also, when playing versus an easy opponent, it can shoot badly pretty often ,so it using a tracer can be pretty common indeed :)

Racemaniac posted on Sep 28 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
i'll now test how the version that uses the splashscreen for background works on the gp32, i don't think it'll give any slowdowns, but you never know...
runs perfectly on the gp32 :)

if you got some background or terrain to test with, send it :)

I was thinking along the lines of having a .PNG or .BMP file somewhere that the user could edit, rather than something embedded into the code. I would do a background or something when I have time but it may be awhile.

I don't like the dither really either. It would be cleaner if there were bands of color but closer together in value.

It is a nice game though thanks for it :)

DaveC posted on Sep 30 2005 at 09:10 PM said:
Racemaniac posted on Sep 28 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
i'll now test how the version that uses the splashscreen for background works on the gp32, i don't think it'll give any slowdowns, but you never know...
runs perfectly on the gp32 :)

if you got some background or terrain to test with, send it :)

I was thinking along the lines of having a .PNG or .BMP file somewhere that the user could edit, rather than something embedded into the code. I would do a background or something when I have time but it may be awhile.

I don't like the dither really either. It would be cleaner if there were bands of color but closer together in value.

It is a nice game though thanks for it :)
okay, i've done some testing, i think i can just have the program accept any ping in a certain directory ^^, should make it easy to add custom backgrounds/foregrounds/music :D
that's a good thing isn't it :D, just put it in a directory and the program will find it (if everything works the way i hope it will that is ;) )

and i fixed the palette :)
take your pick
dithered
NewPaletteDithered.jpg

OR

layered
NewPaletteLayered.jpg

and perhaps even both ;), now i got 2 different files i got to compile with if i want dithered or layered :), but making it a selection shouldn't be too hard.

btw, some seem to want more weapons, post your ideas here ^^ (and please not too many independent things, as you see with rapidfire/funky bomb, several seperate bullets and sound make the game stutter :) )

I like the new dithered one. :) However, a the other one's nice too, so a selection might be nice.

As for new weapons - how about a homing missile? It'll target the nearet tank the moment it passes the halfway point as it falls. Bad luck if the nearest tank happens to be you. ;)

Also, what about
Could you post the scores of all the competitors after the end of a round/game, instead of just saying "player 3 won the game"? That way I'll will be able to see who's leading in points in between rounds, and so I'll obviously try to kill them off quickly.
?

Esn posted on Oct 1 2005 at 07:12 AM said:
I like the new dithered one. :) However, a the other one's nice too, so a selection might be nice.

As for new weapons - how about a homing missile? It'll target the nearet tank the moment it passes the halfway point as it falls. Bad luck if the nearest tank happens to be you. ;)

Also, what about
Could you post the scores of all the competitors after the end of a round/game, instead of just saying "player 3 won the game"? That way I'll will be able to see who's leading in points in between rounds, and so I'll obviously try to kill them off quickly.
?
well, any suggestions about the end of round/game screen are also welcome indeed :)
those are also pretty temporary atm, can be done better indeed :)

okay, some extra on the graphics:
i've now been able to make them selectable (well, i still gotta make the menus for that, but the code is there ^^)
you can either take a plain, gradient or bitmap background
and a plain, layered, gradient or bitmapped land.

the bitmapped land can exist out of 2 seperate bitmaps, one that stay's unchanged (the bottom layer), and only gets eaten away, one like the layers/gradient that gets deformed along with the terrain (a small band on top of the normal bitmap :) )

that should offer some good possibilities i hope :)

i coudl give a screenshot of some of the possibilities in action, but i only got some damn ugly tests atm :p, so perhaps rather not ;)
*edit* still pretty ugly, but a little demonstration of a landscape with 3 bitmaps ^^
Bitmaptest.jpg

K0K0NUT_h3lmut posted on Oct 2 2005 at 01:34 PM said:
Ooh, I do like the idea of tanks being able to say things from custom txt files!
hmm, should also be possible
but how exactly? when do they say things, how do i show it, one text file for all or different files you can select from?

One txt file for human player, one for AI. As for when, add the ability to prefix the phrases so the the game knows when to say them: miss"The sun was in my eyes" or hit_the_enemy"Muhhahaaa" or hit_by_enemy"Is that all you got?". And I guess you could just show them a lil' bit above there heads, but make it so that bullets and tracers are still visible when in the text area(Basically make the test transparent).

Oh, and one question. Is it possible to play this game with two people? If it is not could you please make it so? :D

This game rocks and it still has much potential.

Back