Scummvm For The Wiz: Early Alpha.

Hi, Full Throttle seems to run perfectly as well (except saving of course"]
Thanks a lot!!!
Nice!!! Good to know that, haven't tried it yet :D. ScummVM runs quite well but it crashes a bit for me playing Monkey Island 1. I can play that game for about 10 minutes and then Scumm VM exits out into Wiz menu. Same thing with DOTT.

Regards

André[/quote]After playing for a longer period of time than I did yesterday, I ended up having this same issue with MI2. It just abruptly decided to crash, I can't think of anything particular that could have caused this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. IJ3 + IJ4 crash back to the WIZ Menu after the Intro. Same for all the LucasArts Games i tried, but Elvira, Kyranida and Lure of the Temptress seem to work fine.

Same here. IJ3 + IJ4 crash back to the WIZ Menu after the Intro. Same for all the LucasArts Games i tried, but Elvira, Kyranida and Lure of the Temptress seem to work fine.
Pretty sure all the segfaults are happening in engines that autosave and of course that is broken (along with saves) as it is getting very weird stuff bubbled up from the Wiz. It's a pain in the bum to fully debug.

Other than that the port is progressing nicely now, got the virtual keyboard running (but it looks very crude, still work to do there) and fixed up a myriad of little things like the volume etc..
I just need to nail the last of these filesystem bugs and I'll get a release out as it should be in pretty good shape at that point. All the code is now in ScummVM's SVN and its an official port.

Pretty sure all the segfaults are happening in engines that autosave and of course that is broken (along with saves) as it is getting very weird stuff bubbled up from the Wiz. It's a pain in the bum to fully debug.

Other than that the port is progressing nicely now, got the virtual keyboard running (but it looks very crude, still work to do there"] and fixed up a myriad of little things like the volume etc..
I just need to nail the last of these filesystem bugs and I'll get a release out as it should be in pretty good shape at that point. All the code is now in ScummVM's SVN and its an official port.[/quote]Nice, can't wait :).

Regards

André

I just tried Loom this morning and it runs fine but I don't any sound. Neither effects or music anybody else have that issue with Loom?

Regards

André

I tested a little of Loom, but I don't remember if I even had the sound turned up or not. I'll try it out later today if I get the chance, unless someone beats me to it.

Also, the crashing I had in MI2 was definitely from the autosave. I thought it was the game because it crashed at the same point twice, but I suppose it just took me the exact same amount of time to get there both times. As soon as I disabled autosave, it stopped doing that.

I tested a little of Loom, but I don't remember if I even had the sound turned up or not. I'll try it out later today if I get the chance, unless someone beats me to it.

Also, the crashing I had in MI2 was definitely from the autosave. I thought it was the game because it crashed at the same point twice, but I suppose it just took me the exact same amount of time to get there both times. As soon as I disabled autosave, it stopped doing that.
I got it working with sound now. I completely forgot that the music and voices from LOOM are embedded on the CD as a music file. So I simply ripped that file and converted it into a mp3 32kbit (22 kHz) and everything was ok :D. I first tried with a higher bitrate (192 then 96) and those make LOOM lag quite a bit because it takes time to initialise the music and voices.

Regards

André

Here is a link to a quick interim build I have done, saves are still broken (that is proving a real pain to fix) but a lot of other stuff is in and working.

It is built against SVN rev. 41385.

Lot's of small fixes and speed-ups.
Volume Controls - Now working fine.
Virtual Keyboard - In and working, it's a little rough and the graphics suck. Hold the Left trigger and then tap Right to bring it up.

If your good at keyboard graphics (ideally in SVG) than drop me a line ;) (Please, the ones at the moment are really crappy).

------------------

I would appreciate if someone could give this a quick once over, I don't really want it announced anywhere as it really is just a tidy up of the old build and until saves are sorted I don't see any point doing another formal release.

All engines that are present in SVN are enabled (including Tinsel and SCI) so it would be cool if someone could test those.

Download Here - scummvm-wiz-2009-06-08.zip

I can't say anything about speed-ups, it was perfect in the previous version with the games I tried, and Full Throttle should be upper class. Maybe it makes some difference when lowering the CPU speed.

Volume controls work fine now, thanks.

Jup, the keyboard needs bigger buttons, and if you enter a savegame name using it, the game (MI1 in my case) crashes and returns to the menu. If you do the same without it, even the same file name: "." you get the message "Failed to save game state to file: xxx", but the game continues to run (for some time).

Hi John!

-Volume and keyboard work
-Leisure Suit Larry 2 (SCI) runs fine (but there seem to be no sound)

For good keyboard graphics I always think about Ruckage first... ;)

This release seems to be at least a little bit more stable.

Regards,
Stephan

So...

I have Sam & Max from my old CDs...
I ripped it down to data files to play on Win32 ScummVM.
And I compressed the MONSTER.SOU file using the ScummVm Tools.
It wont play on the Wiz,
just as the first bit of audio dialogue starts "Friends, Friends, You wanna be Friends...",
it is a full fledged crash.
So I rummaged for my old CDs again, and got the uncompressed MONSTER.SOU.
No problems, Sam & Max are working smoothly.
So I theorize that Ogg support ( the tools compress WAVs in MONSTER.SOU to OGGs ) is broken.

To further test this,
I dusted off Loom CD.
Gathered it's data files, ripped the WAV audio, converted it to straight Ogg files.
Boom, Bash, Bing, Bomb. It's a no go.
Removed the Ogg files from the GameDir.
Loom is in business.

I also tested KQ1, KQ2 & KQ3...
( KQ4 wasn't recognized as a game. )
Worked fine... Predicted text worked, etc.
No Saves, but we all know that at this point.

Legend of Kyrandia works fine.
However, it will crash near the end of the intro, when the hero says something to Grandpa.
Restarting, whatever flag that says I've seen the intro is set, and thus I go directly to "START A NEW GAME".
Oddly the music wont play until I move off the first screen ( up to grandpa's tree shack ).
But once the music is playing, everything is perfect as far as I can tell.

I ripped 7th Guest from my CDs.
It was a complete crash from the Start.
Never made it to the game, selected START from ScummVM menu, black screen, Wiz Menu.
Oh, Well...

I have ripped LoK2 and LoK3, I'll be trying them now,
but I wanted to report what I knew about the Ogg ( even tho it seems I am late to the party, :)

I'll be testing more, as I dust off more CDs.
I'll grab the update SVN... and let ya'll know.
-DEJ

Like I wrote earlier in the thread LOOM works fine for me with sound and voices. I have a 32-kbit, 22 kHz mp3 file in the game directory.

Regards

André

Like I wrote earlier in the thread LOOM works fine for me with sound and voices. I have a 32-kbit, 22 kHz mp3 file in the game directory.
Thanks for that, regarding OGG Vorbis (well Tremor) it looks like the built in lib is fooked (a simple test app can also bork the Wiz).

This leaves me a few options, start to static link everything on the grounds the Wiz firmware is suspect ;) or just force users to install a libpack to the Wiz before they run ScummVM, thoughts?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH could be used but personally I consider it a complete hack :(. I don't like the scatter gun approach and (on desktop systems anyway) the cause for fallout almost always makes it more pain than it is worth. In this case I could get away with it but it still offends my sense of elegance.

One option would be to use something like "export LDFLAGS="-R/path/to/libs" or use of -L options when building to add a custom search path to the executable but that is not without it's issues and relative paths in there problematic IIRC (and I hate hard coding).

Either way, it makes bundling a pain as I would have to grab libs from all over the place and pop them with the executable and make sure the search path had preference over the build in system lib paths etc..

It's something I would really like to avoid and I'll confess that static linking is the easy way out as it will 'just work'. I don't like static linking, don't get me wrong, but crappy libs that can't be relied on don't inspire confidence in the underlying system ;).

Regards

André
Yeah MP3 works fine, I was only trying to test Ogg, which clearly is a problem.

Speaking of doesn't ScummVM support WAV audio, Loom wouldn't play Track.WAV.
But of course it did play the Track.MP3...

Lok2 works, but isn't playable.
The opening, and intro are perfect.
But as soon as you start a NEW GAME, it trys to autosave,
and BING BANG BOOM BOMB: BlackScreen -> Wiz Desktop.

LoK3 wouldn't recognize as a Game from the ADD GAME in the main ScummVM interface.
LoK3 works perfectly... It even ignores the SAVE GAME bug.
Where both LoK1&2 crash when the Save Fails.. LoK3 just keeps on truckin'

I'll keep dusting off more games, and report back.
-DEJ

On a hunch I hardcoded the SAVE PATH for Loom...
I set it to /mnt/nand/games/
No Love. :(
It created the file, but it was 0 bytes.

Whatever the trouble is, it is not isolated to the SD card.
-DEJ

-DEJ
Haven't you turned off the autosave function in ScummVM? Because that solved all my problems for the Lucasart games.

Regards

André

-DEJ
Haven't you turned off the autosave function in ScummVM? Because that solved all my problems for the Lucasart games.

Regards

André
I think I was a bit to fast with what I wrote. I tried using the new version ScummVM with autosave off and I still get crashes with Indy 4 and DotT. Loom seems to run fine but I've only played the games for 10-20 minutes each.

Regards

André

Back