Second Batch Faster?

1magus

Has it been confirmed that the second batch of Pandora Consoles are going to be faster than the first?

No, that has been denied emphatically by Craig and company on numerous occasions. Craig mentioned that they had already ordered for the second batch, so at the very least the second batch will remain the same 600Mhz. They may reconsider for the third batch; I doubt they will, but the possibility is there.

The only way the Pandora will go officially 720/800mhz is if TI discontinue the 600 line.

Anyhow, we shall soon find out if all the 600 chips go to 720...

When I read the topic, I thought the question was, "Would the second batch be manufactured faster" and I thought, "I would have to imagine so; they're no longer ironing out bugs and arguing with the case moulders..."

Faster as in chip-speed, or as in production speed?

In principle, officially, the chips are going to be the same. The OMAP's still being sold as 600Mhz. However, AFAIK, batch-1's chips were bought (and delivered) ~1½ year ago, with all of the usual improvements in chip-processing, so I do expect batch-2's chips to take advantage of that, and be a bit better (even though they're still being sold as the same chip). So they might consume a bit less power, or overclock a bit further. Not just the OMAP, but all other chips as well. But it can just as well be very small, or even unnoticeable. So don't count on it.

As for production speed: all R&D has "now" been performed, most parts are readily available for sale, and the production itself takes only a relatively short while. That is, assuming all parts are still available for sale, or have a fully compatible replacement...
And WizardStan, AFAIK, only some parts with very long lead-times (the nubs) have already been ordered... (aren't those set to arrive "soon" by now?)

atari_eric said:
When I read the topic, I thought the question was, "Would the second batch be manufactured faster" and I thought, "I would have to imagine so; they're no longer ironing out bugs and arguing with the case moulders..."
I though the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
atari_eric said:
That's the same way I read it ;).

Zaephen said:
atari_eric said:
That's the same way I read it ;) .
+1

At no point will the first batch be delayed to be later than the second batch!

craigix said:
The only way the Pandora will go officially 720/800mhz is if TI discontinue the 600 line.

Anyhow, we shall soon find out if all the 600 chips go to 720...

Mmm... Chips. Crinkle cut, home style with the skins on them or reconstituted shaped extruded stuff?

I'm shocked that there isn't already 4 pages of commentary on Craig's statement.

Burn in testing at 720. Mmm...

matenrou said:
yes second batch is faster and will ship out before first batch
Um are you saying people will get the second batch before the first lol?

TylerAW said:
matenrou said:
yes second batch is faster and will ship out before first batch
Um are you saying people will get the second batch before the first lol?

The first lol is already long gone... Maybe they'll make it in time before the next lol.

Back