Second Batch

1magus

I'm sure this has been bought up before but the second batch posts I find are kind of confusing. I was wondering two things:
1. Do you expect the second batch to sell out and if so how quickly?
2. Will the second batch cost more than 330.00 + Shipping 24 US Dollars?

All we've been told so far is that the second batch will be more expensive. You could save on shipping by going surface mail, which would only take about two *RECORD SCRATCH*

Why is the price going up anyway? Is it because the Euro is now worth less than it was before?

its because first units where sold on the loss.
that was done to pay part of development fees.

now they need to recover from red numbers and start profiting something.

Actually, i think i read early on that the price was set after figuring out actual costs, and as the project went on parts changed and further development cost more cash. Combine that with the dipp in economy everywhere but china, it all adds up to a new higher price. And, as more and more units are produced prices should in theory go down, so at around batch ten or so it might be less then the 330 the first batchers paid. On the other hand, at current speed, batch ten will be somewhere around when hell freezes over... No, I'm not suggesting it wont make it to batch ten, it may very well. But i don't see it as happening in the next year or so, and after that the hardware simply will be to slow compared to whats "out there". When it was planed, it was ahead of everything. Now when it's finally here it is on par, or slightly below par in performance. In a year, i just don't see it as anything anyone would spend more then 50-100 bucks on, at most. And that simply wont cover costs. I just hope They make enough cash to make a second generation by then, and that the experience from this one hasn't scared them enough not to go ahead and make a new unit...
B!

DroneB Dev said:
that was done to attract early adopters

fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
Butterman said:
DroneB Dev said:
that was done to pay part of development feesAND was done to attract early adopters

fixed
dont fix what isnt broken! you just made and extra annotation!.
wait! you didnt!

here
Fixed!.

Mr B said:
Actually, i think i read early on that the price was set after figuring out actual costs, and as the project went on parts changed and further development cost more cash. Combine that with the dipp in economy everywhere but china, it all adds up to a new higher price. And, as more and more units are produced prices should in theory go down, so at around batch ten or so it might be less then the 330 the first batchers paid. On the other hand, at current speed, batch ten will be somewhere around when hell freezes over... No, I'm not suggesting it wont make it to batch ten, it may very well. But i don't see it as happening in the next year or so, and after that the hardware simply will be to slow compared to whats "out there". When it was planed, it was ahead of everything. Now when it's finally here it is on par, or slightly below par in performance. In a year, i just don't see it as anything anyone would spend more then 50-100 bucks on, at most. And that simply wont cover costs. I just hope They make enough cash to make a second generation by then, and that the experience from this one hasn't scared them enough not to go ahead and make a new unit...
B!

Are you serious? Hardware specs aren't even close to the only thing people are paying attention to. The Wiz has very poor specs in comparison to the Pandora and doesn't have most of the other features and yet it still sells for $150. The DS has specs on par with the N64 or original Playstation and yet it still sells for over $100. Hardware power alone doesn't mean jack. Also, look at the iphone that has almost the exact same specs as the Pandora without bluetooth, usb, sdhc, a physical keypad, gaming controls, or a full desktop OS and yet it costs like $500. There's nothing else out there like the Pandora and it really doesn't matter how high they jack up the price; people will buy it.

DroneB Dev said:
Butterman said:
DroneB Dev said:
that was done to pay part of development feesAND was done to attract early adopters

fixed
dont fix what isnt broken! you just made and extra annotation!.
wait! you didnt!

here
Fixed!.

If the money was being used to also pay for production fees they would have had to charge us more.

Not only were they making a loss on each unit, but they also were paying for production fees out of their own wallets.

TylerAW said:
Well the price wont go to 400 dollars US will it?
I wouldn't be suprised if it was close to that number.

TylerAW said:
How can it possible go up 70 bucks?!

I can see it going to $400, but at that price point people will expect an entirely different experience than what the Pandora is now. The drivers and OS will have to mature a ton.

TylerAW said:
That is just insane 400 with shipping means 424-435 dollars.

It may seem insane to you...and maybe it is...but they lost tons on this first batch, and parts are more expensive now than they used to be. It's hard to get the parts for the Pandora when they're ordering in such small quantities.

Back