Release Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (without data)
preview1.png

You'll need to copy the data from the original game (Steam, GoG or original CD version). Copy all the ".gro" files and all folders (but not the Bin one) in apddata/serioussam2 to play.

The game use gl4es, and use the recently opensourced Serious Engine 1.
The game runs ok on Gigahertz model, but is more demanding than the First Encounter. FrameRate are globaly a bit lower, but still playable. It's advised to use the latest SGX Driver for better performance and stability.
Some preconfigured config are there on first run, but fell free to play with the various parameters.

History log
=========

Build 08
-----------

• Fixed some dithering issue.
Build 07
-----------

• Fixed physic issues with "The Pit" level (plus many other graphics issues)
Build 06
-----------

• Some more optim
  • Updated libs
  • Compiled with gcc 7.1
Build 05
-------------

• Never released
Build 04
-----------

• NEON (and some non-NEON) optimisations from @notaz
  • compiled with gcc 6.1
Build 03
-----------

• Updated sources
  • Added autodetect script for glshim
Build 02
-----------

• Updated sources
  • Use SDL2 now
  • Fixed the PXML
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Some Pandora configuration
Sources are available here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/Serious-Engine

Last edited:
PtitSeb FTW! I tested it on my CC and it does run, albeit slowly. If you crank down all the graphics settings, it's actually playable.

I also tried hosting a LAN game on my GHz but the IP is set to localhost and thus cannot be discovered by the other clients. I wonder why this is, maybe it's just a matter of configuring it right and there is some IP setting hidden in the config files? If anyone finds out, please do tell how did it!

I think I'll get a tattoo of ptitSebs face...

You can manually specify the server IP address when joining a session. However I was getting some CRC error when trying LAN play on my Pandori, not sure what is up with it. I do get some message on the server side saying there was an attempt to connect.

well yes, but when hosting a server, the server says it's IP is localhost and that can't be right. I wasn't able to discover the game with the client so I couldn't attempt to join. How did you get that far?

Holy moly! Didnt expect that! Awesome! Wonder how it'll perform on my Rebirth

Holy moly! Didnt expect that! Awesome! Wonder how it'll perform on my Rebirth
Better than I thought it would actually... It runs fairly well with Rendering setting down to low and running at 1Ghz.

Updated build is on the repo, in sync with the First Encounter build.

Build 02
-----------

• Updated sources
  • Use SDL2 now
  • Fixed the PXML

Thanks. On build 01, I tried it on my Rebirth with a freshly installed newest SGX driver. It worked fine in the beginning where you walk in the grass towards the temple, but inside the temple the game glitched up entirely, getting stuck in walls etc. Could it be that the SGX driver doesn't work in conjunction with a Rebirth model in this particular game? Played Diablo 2 perfectly afterwards, but maybe that game doesn't rely on the driver.

@JePP : I think it may happens when the games slow down too much. This build 02 maybe a more resilient to this issue, you should try again.

New build on the repo. The intro cinematic movie when starting a new game now works to the end :)

Build 03
-----------

• Updated sources
    • Added autodetect script for glshim

Hi all !
Thanks. On build 01, I tried it on my Rebirth with a freshly installed newest SGX driver. It worked fine in the beginning where you walk in the grass towards the temple, but inside the temple the game glitched up entirely, getting stuck in walls etc. Could it be that the SGX driver doesn't work in conjunction with a Rebirth model in this particular game? Played Diablo 2 perfectly afterwards, but maybe that game doesn't rely on the driver.
Same issues here (build 3) on a Rebirth unit, OC @ 1GHz, SGX driver 4.10 :(
That Second Encounter is much slower than the first one, but it's still playable though...

Cheers, Magic Sam

@Magic Sam : try to lower all detail on the Advanced Video settings (mainly geometry details in fact, textures to medium should be fine, as long as they are 16bits).
Tell me what kind of fps (using LiveSystemInfo) you have when you enter the temple (I had no issu there previously, but I may need to retry).

@Magic Sam : try to lower all detail on the Advanced Video settings (mainly geometry details in fact, textures to medium should be fine, as long as they are 16bits).
Tell me what kind of fps (using LiveSystemInfo) you have when you enter the temple (I had no issu there previously, but I may need to retry).
All options were already set to their lowest possible value the first time ;)
I gave the game another try, this time with @notaz ' Live system info:
- beginning (waterfall): ~15 FPS
- first monsters in the valley: ~10 FPS
- first werebull (depending on where you are and how you play): ~5 FPS --> GLITCHES (screen split in two, etc...)
- temple in sight: ~12 FPS
- monsters in the temple's yard: ~10 FPS
- inside the temple: ~25 FPS and more (the second time I played, the game didn't glitch in the room with the guy and his chainsaw...)
- tunnel and second part of the valley: ~10 FPS (sometimes more, sometimes less...)

So the game appears to glitch randomly, depending on the FPS you get. Most of the time, it will glitch around 5 FPS... Worrying about the framerate makes the game less interesting to play IMHO...:( I hope you'll find a way to improve the performances on CC and Rebirth units, even though I know it's easier said than done :)

Under water, the oxygen-meter also doesn't seem to work correctly.

On a brigher note, this game really looks good, esthetically-wise. Croteam really knows how to make good looking, interesting levels ! :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Yeah, that what I thought. Very low fps make the physics engine go berzerk.
Not sure on how to improve the performances here, this engine is very well optimized already!
Seems (but I'm not sure), the monster have more polys in TSE than in TFE. I'll see if there are some parameters that can be altered by hand to reduce polycount (at the expanse of visual of course).

Last edited:
Seems (but I'm not sure), the monster have move polys in TSE than in TFE. I'll see if there are some parameters that can be altered by hand to reduce polycount (at the expanse of visual of course).
That's exactly what I thought when the first werebull sent me high up in the air: "hmmm, this werebull has more polygons than before !" :p
Seriously (pun intended) though, I agree with you regarding the polycount. I think it could greatly help with the framerate issues.

And as always, thank you very much for your hard work on this game :) It still amazes me to play such a great, good looking game on such a tiny handheld computer !

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1461442554,1461437891][/doublepost]Hi again !

In the Valley of the Jaguar, the bouncing pads (the ones looking like conveyor belts with flowing water,) bring our little Pandora to its knees...

And the fighting scene just after, in the open, makes matters worse. It looks more like a slideshow than a video game...

No glitches though :p

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back