SGX driver installer (beta)

It's quite unlikely we're going to have many new firmwares, so there is not much point to do this now, and we can't put such thing in retroactively.
Agree for the Pandora, but this may be good to have such a functionality built in the Pyra - assuming it may need firmware updates (not related to the OS per se) down the road.  

Wouldn't updated Pyra-specific packages show up in the properly set up package manager anyways?

But I'm hoping (kind of assuming) there'll be a DBP manager just as there was a PND manager you can run to see if anything that's not a .opkg/.dpkg needs patching.  That leaves uboot and the other pre-os parts of the boot process, but we've never needed to update those on the OMAP3, so I doubt we'll need to on the OMAP5 (although perhaps we'll need to guard against 3G as being a way in now, not sure).

However, I've not used a Debian app which actively warns you if there's things to update, though I probably just didn't get round to installing any when I used it.  Ubuntu has one in its default install.  There'll be more to update though, on Debian - I last used stable when I used Debian last, and even that was busier than SZ has been (because they have a lot more devs I guess), and if we're using testing or even unstable then that'll be even more, even accounting for the fact the Pyra OS will probably be more cut down than my own old default+XFCE install was.

Just like you don't update your PC Bios with repositories either.
Which parts of the Pyra do actually have a flashable firmware and how likely is it that we do get such firmware updates, looking back at the Pandora?
And why wouldn't it be possible to distribute these updaters via package management? That way it wouldn't cover 100% of the cases of missed updates, most of them. That is, if they even happen.

why wouldn't it be possible to distribute these updaters via package management?
My guess is that some parts of the firmware need to be written when the drivers/interfaces are not initialized yet - hence you need to do this kind of things out of the OS. It MAY be manageable with reboot scripts (executing a script before the OS loads next time to do that).  

It's quite unlikely we're going to have many new firmwares, so there is not much point to do this now, and we can't put such thing in retroactively.
Agree for the Pandora, but this may be good to have such a functionality built in the Pyra - assuming it may need firmware updates (not related to the OS per se) down the road.
This "feature" for pyra or pandora sounds like a bad idea. For instance my CC had issues with 1.72 so I went back to 1.71. I don't need to be harassed by my own electronics for a downgrade I did myself.

I also don't like the idea of a program randomly sending out info without at least asking if it can, or the option to turn it off

Last edited by a moderator:
This "feature" for pyra or pandora sounds like a bad idea. For instance my CC had issues with 1.72 so I went back to 1.71. I don't need to be harassed by my own electronics for a downgrade I did myself.

I also don't like the idea of a program randomly sending out info without at least asking if it can, or the option to turn it off
Quoted for truth ... ahem Microsoft..

Which driver are you using with Pandora 1GHz? I just installed the last one (4.10) and the game Briqolo stopped working...

There is no "best" driver unfortunately, all of them are broken in different ways, so you need different drivers for different games.

If there was a driver that works for everything, we'd just make it default.

Ok understood :) Looks like all other things are working fine with 4.10... Even a little smoother. Only Briqolo seems to be broken. Maybe it's an opengl problem... I hope that the driver will be updated soon.

Ok understood :) Looks like all other things are working fine with 4.10... Even a little smoother. Only Briqolo seems to be broken. Maybe it's an opengl problem... I hope that the driver will be updated soon.

4.10 drivers (in fact all > 4.03)  does'nt support X11 rendering, only FrameBuffer (or X11 via DRI2, which doesn't work on pandora). So games/software that are not specificaly written to create a FB Context will fail.

Which driver are you using with Pandora 1GHz? I just installed the last one (4.10) and the game Briqolo stopped working...

There is no "best" driver unfortunately, all of them are broken in different ways, so you need different drivers for different games.

If there was a driver that works for everything, we'd just make it default.
I hope this situation will get better onto the Pyra, what do you think? And is it possible to mere all the stuff that works in the Pandora drivers into "one-for-all" driver? Well, I never changed the Driver onto my CC Pandora but recently it's more and more common that some games do not work anymore wit hthe default drivers or even on the old CC Pandoras at all. Also a thing that hopefuly will never happen onto the Pyra.

Well there are a lot less driver releases for OMAP5 and it feels like they're based on the same code from IMG, so it might be there simply will be no choice for games that don't work because of the broken driver.

Well there are a lot less driver releases for OMAP5 and it feels like they're based on the same code from IMG, so it might be there simply will be no choice for games that don't work because of the broken driver.

Hm, so is this good or bad in case of the Pyra? I mean, they DO still support the OMAP5, right?  :ph34r:

No they don't, it's in "legacy mode" already.

A miracle, that such a short-support-strategy doesn't lead into bankruptcy, who buys chips that are not supportet anymore after 1-2 years? Why it just can't be like onto PC where I get still new drivers for my 5 year old graphics card? is it really that hard onto the SoC front? Especialy when I see what new drivers can still pull out of older hardware sometimes.

It doesn't look like TI has sold OMAP5 to anyone but a few board producers, so it's not surprising they want to forget about it.

It's also not completely unsupported as (I think?) TI does pay a few mainline kernel developers who work on many areas that also touch OMAP5, similar to how AMD pays a few people to work on open source drivers for their GPUs. We might get some unofficial help from those people (already had some help mostly in form of advice), but there is no guarantee for that.

I think I have posted about this before, but yeah it looks like it's the norm in the SoC world anyway. Have you ever seen a driver update for a phone? I don't think I have, my old Android phone had an official Android 2.3 -> 4.0 upgrade, but that dragged all the same old kernel and the drivers (they were unchanged).
Want any bugs fixed? Buy a new device.

Back