Silence!

i've never expected my computer screens to be daylight readable.

are we being picky?

On one side reflections are not only a problem under daylight.

On other side, I would expect my modern pocket computer to be readable under daylight as my smartphone does (both have modernLCD displays with LED backlight I suppose), although I am realistic and it is very possible Pyra can't fulfill this expectation (at least its keyboard will be usable in darkness :) while GPD keyboard can't). When I carry a modern computer in my pocket I expect to be able to use it under all light circumstances in normal life (that includes daylight as still I am not a vampire although my skin color can indicate other things :) ).

It may be you are less demanding.

Last edited:
If it is to be usable in daylight, it should be completely glossy like a smartphone screen. Personally, I don't think matte is an advantage, when I use a glossy screen on my phone I find it usable in most light conditions.

ED never gave a shipping date, so any expectations were purely speculation on the part of the community.

Well, I don't agree with you. We didn't have an exact date of course, but there was an expectation. Himself said recently that if he would know how long it would take, he woudn't do it. So even its private expectations about timing were broken.

Of course the 3-months TM was people trusting its imagination, not ED.

on a slightly related note, last bios update for the GPD Pocket is from August last year and they do not seem to plan an update to fix Spectre ... so I personally would not trust them with that kind of money again
I personally have been avoiding the Windows Updates so I can avoid the updates that patch it. Not worth the performance hit imo if it's just going to be myself using it.

I personally have been avoiding the Windows Updates so I can avoid the updates that patch it. Not worth the performance hit imo if it's just going to be myself using it.

Isn't the point of security patches to keep others from using it though? Meltdown/Spectre has been shown to be exploitable through JavaScript (with unpatched browsers), so it would seem the barrier of entry is pretty much just some form of remote code execution.

You should take a look at modern technology instead of relying on your experience with decades old bricks. Just because hardly anyone uses them anymore doesn't mean that they haven't advanced.

The Pyra started development in 2007, with already old tech, so it is also a "decade" old brick

Last edited:
The Pyra started development in 2007, with already old tech, so it is also a "decade" old brick

Ditnt you mean „Pandora“ ??

But as the Pyra and the Pandora use both the same mechanics (Its 2 Caseparts whit a hinge between, and some Electronical Parts) its a pretty old design

Also it’s no matter of Prozessor Power but of the things you do whit it..

As I would be happy just whit a new Pandora Device and the specs aren’t important for me (as long it’s plays PSX and DS) im happy whit my Pyra

Reactions: rSl
That is kinda why we have the Pyra. Pretty sure I am not alone in using decades old bricks.

I know that isn't your point, but, still, gotta love the old stuff.

The CPU design in this netbook I'm still using will hit 10 next quarter, and I suspect I bought it soon after launch so I'd expect the machine itself to be 10 by christmas. The CPU design in my build machine is actually 10 this quarter, and just old enough not to be hit by spectre attacks I suspect, but I suspect the machine itself hails from a year or two after that.

If it is to be usable in daylight, it should be completely glossy like a smartphone screen.

I don't think it is obligatory: on we have seen a Thinkpad with brighter glossy screen with problems under daylight (not direct sunlight, but daylight), while other with matte and darker screen did a better job.

Obviously if you think on a matte display with even less bright you can have problems, but that isn't correlated to matte display, as they can be bright enough if it is designed so.

Personally, I don't think matte is an advantage, when I use a glossy screen on my phone I find it usable in most light conditions.

My smartphone can get very very high bright (with "AUTO" mode), and can compensate under daylight, but reflections are uncomfortable under a lot circumstances.

In my experience sing a computer with a glossy display (even glossy plastic around display) is very uncomfortable. I prefer matte display without doubt. And if you look to most professional monitors (may be Apple excluded :) ) you will see most have matte non-reflective displays. Even casing is matte (I remember a workplace where we had matte display but bright plastic casing, and reflections on that case was disturbing).

Modern smartphones have capacitive touch screens, and all capacitive screens I have know about are glossy (I don't know if it'd be possible to make a capacitive screen without glossy, but I have never seen one).

Only one of my notebooks have a glossy display (it is convertible tablet-ultrabook and has capacitive touch screen) and it is good if you don't have bright images or lights behind, because when you have them that glossy display is a torture.

I suppose in an office environment you can have a lot of sources behind (cell lights, windows...).
[doublepost=1520106824,1520104954][/doublepost]
The CPU design in this netbook I'm still using will hit 10 next quarter, and I suspect I bought it soon after launch so I'd expect the machine itself to be 10 by christmas. The CPU design in my build machine is actually 10 this quarter, and just old enough not to be hit by spectre attacks I suspect, but I suspect the machine itself hails from a year or two after that.

If it has an Intel CPU only some models of Atom, lowest ones (usually with no more than 2GB of RAM), are immune to Spectre.

In https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/ there is a list (you can look at this sublist: https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/7/ where you can find Atom models). But I think this list is not complete: they are not showing very old CPU, because it is too much old. For example it seems that even Pentium III and II and even Pentium Pro would be affected.

It may be simpler to look at a list with no affected CPU :D
For example: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/list-of-cpus-most-likely-immune-to-spectre/123128
Early Intel Atoms including S/D/N Series: Diamondville, Pineview, Cedar View.

It is amusing that Itanium (IA-64), the architecture Intel wanted to success x86 to go to 64 bits (losing direct compatibility [1]), is totally immune to Meltdown-Spectre. Datacenters running Itanium can be happy now.

PD: All Raspberrt Pi are immune to Meltdown-Spectre bugs.

[1]: Some Itanium had hard support to translate x86 to IA-64 but performance was bad.

As far as I understand Spectre/Meltdown, Pentium3 should not be affected. They don't do speculative access to memory as far as I know.

As far as I understand Spectre/Meltdown, Pentium3 should not be affected. They don't do speculative access to memory as far as I know.
Speculative execution was introduced as a part of the out-of-order architecture of the Pentium Pro.

Do the clickable nubs on the PYRA need to be centered before you can click them?

Decades, plural.

I used to have a Palm IIIc myself, the difference to the Pandora is huge.

Yep I had one of those, and a jornada 720, dell axim x5.

Just saying you can't call the Pyra tech "new" because it wasn't at the start of the project.

That said we all want it because of the capabilities.
[doublepost=1520138712,1520138623][/doublepost]
That is kinda why we have the Pyra. Pretty sure I am not alone in using decades old bricks.

I know that isn't your point, but, still, gotta love the old stuff.

You aren't. I still daily drive my Pandora, and eeepc701. Both of which are 10+ years old

Back