Snes9X4D4P

jonlad1 said:
I'm sure this will be sorted with proper ports, but will it be possible for the emus to utilise all of the Pandoras screen? Full resolution?
I hope you're not intending to stretch the aspect on those square screen consoles! :p
But yes, I'm pretty sure a whole variety of scaling techniques will be available...
...even horrible ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work Skeezix, this fulfills the "day one SNES" requests, and the sky is the limit after that. :)

I was just looking at the description in the file archive. "Press SPACE to bring up the menu" sounded odd at first, then I had a kind of satisfying realisation that I wasn't reading a GP2X or Dingoo description. Hard to explain, but it raised my excitement level.

Bosbeetle said:
Is there any chance for zsnes or is that to heavily optimised for x86 and directx
Pretty sure it's not directx, it runs fine on Linux.

Bosbeetle said:
Aninhumer said:
Bosbeetle said:
Is there any chance for zsnes or is that to heavily optimised for x86 and directx
Pretty sure it's not directx, it runs fine on Linux.
ah okay sorry didnt check good enough

...but IIRC zsnes contains some x86 assembly, which would have to be rewritten.

rabidpoobear said:
The 'devs' in this case are not the same as the 'devs' in the other communities like GP2X and Wiz and Dingoo. The 'devs' is a small subset of programmers who currently have Pandora units (say maybe 20 people?) whereas normally 'devs' refers to everyone in the community who is a programmer and creates software for the Pandora.

20? A lot less. Basically, it was mostly notaz, DJWillis, skeezix, vimacs, cpasjuste, pickle and me working on the OS.
Pickle and cpasjuste were mostly working on software ports so we could check the OS for bugs, while the rest was working on OS and drivers.

Not a big team for such a complicated OS with tons of drivers...

So pretty much everyone that currently has prototype units is working on fixing up the OS for shipping - the stuff on the NAND. Everything on the SD cards can be updated as frequently as desired - eg. they could release a new SNES build every day until it plays all games 100% if they want - but on the NAND it's only probably going to change every month or so. So emulators have nothing to do with current dev work. There are a few people who are ALSO working on emulators, but it's not the current focus for a lot of the devs. Once the Pandoras ship, lots of people will be working on emulators and many other things.

Exactly. A broken OS will lead to a lot of problems. So that had TOP priority.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
rabidpoobear said:
The 'devs' is a small subset of programmers who currently have Pandora units (say maybe 20 people?)

20? A lot less. Basically, it was mostly notaz, DJWillis, skeezix, vimacs, cpasjuste, pickle and me working on the OS.
Pickle and cpasjuste were mostly working on software ports so we could check the OS for bugs, while the rest was working on OS and drivers.

Not a big team for such a complicated OS with tons of drivers...
I agree, the team is very productive and making great stuff, especially considering you all are doing this in spare time!
I actually wrote 50 originally and then realized that was way too high, then changed it to 20. So I guess I was still too high.

I'll be devving the second I get my Pandora, and I plan on releasing a lot of projects for it. I've already got a few half-finished apps I just have to clean up and add a few features to. I hope you make it okay on Monday, I'm excited about the webcam!

Thanks for putting this up Skeezix, it'll be great to be able to use a SNES emulator on day one. I really hope the App Store comes up soon, so all the people who want to donate will be able to. You all deserve it.

Like somebody says, once the Pandoras have shipped with the thankfully lovely and stable OS, then every one of those 4000 is a _potential_ developer. This can only be a good thing.

*teehee* Fun times. I'm dieing to see if I get a shipping-conf email today, as I ordered in the first 5 minutes myself. *so excited*

I really think its going to be an exciting time, as there is so much more development potential for this gadget than many others.

jeff

B-ZaR said:
...but IIRC zsnes contains some x86 assembly, which would have to be rewritten.

Yep, zsnes is pretty much only for x86 processors. It won't be on Pandora...and it really won't need to be.

I'm curious as to whether any filters/enhancements will be possible though, since Pandora will have more than enough power for standard fullspeed.

paulguy said:
Would be neat if you could load shaders for filters, rather than using the CPU.
Why? Are filters usually performed on CPU? That just doesn't seem logical.

skeezix said:
*teehee* Fun times. I'm dieing to see if I get a shipping-conf email today, as I ordered in the first 5 minutes myself. *so excited*

I really think its going to be an exciting time, as there is so much more development potential for this gadget than many others.

jeff
know its off topic here, but did you get a confirmation email?

Been dying myself :)

Peace, SNES, & Bong rips!

Link

Mr.Confuzed said:
Why would it be illogical? The CPU is doing the base drawing anyway, it's simple to code up some scalars and filters to perform while it's rendering. It's actually extra work for the programmer to have the GPU do it.

WizardStan said:
Mr.Confuzed said:
Why would it be illogical? The CPU is doing the base drawing anyway, it's simple to code up some scalars and filters to perform while it's rendering. It's actually extra work for the programmer to have the GPU do it.

Think of it like a photoshop filter/effect on each frame. Filters on emulators have been around way longer than GPU shaders have existed.

Just tried the SNES Emulator.
Mario Kart: Fullspeed.
Mario RPG: Fullspeed.
Yoshis Island: Fullspeed with a few frames skipping.

So, for an emulator without any optimization, this runs very well. :)

Back