Snes9X4D4P

EvilDragon said:
Just tried the SNES Emulator.
Mario Kart: Fullspeed.
Mario RPG: Fullspeed.
Yoshis Island: Fullspeed with a few frames skipping.

So, for an emulator without any optimization, this runs very well. :)
Can you try Kirby Super Star with Sound? Because before I had tried that game on my PSP I thought I was unstoppable and that my PSP could emulate almost anything but even now it only works without sound at a playable frame rate and even than you need frame-skip 2!

Last edited by a moderator:
If Super Mario RPG runs full speed, I'm going to make an educated guess that Kirby Super Deluxe also will. ;) They use the same on-cartridge add-on chip.

Prometheus said:
If Super Mario RPG runs full speed, I'm going to make an educated guess that Kirby Super Deluxe also will. ;) They use the same on-cartridge add-on chip.
Yes they do both use SA-1 however for some reason Mario RPG runs much faster on PSPs than Kirby :(

EvilDragon said:

That's awesome Ed. I always new an optimized SNES emu should have no problems running these games, as the Pandora has some decent horsepower, at least a lot more than the GP2X/Wiz.

Can you try Starfox for me when you get a chance? I'm curious how an "FX" chip game will run. Also, can you give a blog update when you get a chance, so we can all get the rest of the details in regards to the remaining cases and boards, production schedule and what not.

Thanks Again,
Chris

EvilDragon said:

Yay, thank you ED. Been in the back of my mind that after all this waiting I'd be disappointed, you just verified I will not be :)

#1 reason I got the pandora, full speed (without frameskip) snes emulation in my pocket.

EDIT: if I may, is that with sound and at 500/600 MHz?

snes9x4d4p is crappily ported (sorry!), but yeah, runs more or less full speed at 500; I've set the pnd to 600 just to be sure for some of the crazier titles. But once someone who has big love for the snes (or lots of free time :) gets in and puts in asm cores and a decent blitter code instead of my brute force one, it'll run much faster etc. So expect much to come.. I did this port just off the cuff one night :)

jeff

skeezix said:
snes9x4d4p is crappily ported (sorry!), but yeah, runs more or less full speed at 500; I've set the pnd to 600 just to be sure for some of the crazier titles. But once someone who has big love for the snes (or lots of free time :) gets in and puts in asm cores and a decent blitter code instead of my brute force one, it'll run much faster etc. So expect much to come.. I did this port just off the cuff one night :)

jeff

And we thank you for it!

I do hope someone does try to optimize the port though. If not to improve performance for those small number of games that don't run perfectly, then to let us underclock the CPU and save battery life.

it'd be trivial to put a zenity picker up front to let you select a clockrate (say), or built it into the emu (the pandora libs include functions for setting it, etc.)

I'm sure one of dozens of people will pick up SNES; if no one does, I'll adopt it ;) But I've got a lot of other things on the go, prefer someone else to do that. (Don't you just love that half my pet things are things no one else cares about? Text adventures, Atari ST, turn baswed slow paced games, you'd jjust all love if I was into PSX and SNES, but alas, I am not :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Don't you just love that half my pet things are things no one else cares about?
Hey, it's not my fault you got a prototype. :p

WizardStan said:
Mr.Confuzed said:
Why? Are filters usually performed on CPU? That just doesn't seem logical.
Why would it be illogical? The CPU is doing the base drawing anyway, it's simple to code up some scalars and filters to perform while it's rendering. It's actually extra work for the programmer to have the GPU do it.
Well, if the filters are applied during rendering, then it makes sense. I assume that they are applied after rendering, for modularity's sake; in which case it would be logical to apply filters via GPU, if possible, for performance reasons.

skeezix or ED can you guys test the following for me if you get time.

Black Throne
Super Metriod
Mortal Kombat 2
Bio Metal

To see these games running full speed without frameskip on a handheld would be dream come true for me :)

I can't wait to recieve my Panda next week :)

The problem with having the SGX do anything at all to the image is that normally it's dog slow to upload new images to it. There's some TI texture streaming extension somewhere to address this though. Not sure if it's available on Pandora or not.

I must have missed this http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,61 Thanks for porting that one can't wait to try it out :)

Playing Yoshi's Island this week on the Panda will bring a tear to my eye :D :pandora2ut4:

@all paypalers: You can support me too ... just because i worked several month on my Snes9x4D Emulator. Added all special chips like Fx1, Fx2, OBC1, SH1, DSP2, DSP3, DSP4 aso. Sadly i only have a Dingoo and no Pandora or Wiz.

skeezix: Could you send me your patches as i noted in the readme, i can add it to the code repository. Only one repository for one snes emulator would be more usefull. I can also add you as developer, that you can submit code. You can also benefit from this, just because i'm further enhancing my emulator.

The svn can be found here:
http://crankgaming.blogspot.com/

greetz from dingoonity^community
SiENcE

SiENcE said:
@all paypalers: You can support me too ... just because i worked several month on my Snes9x4D Emulator. Added all special chips like Fx1, Fx2, OBC1, SH1, DSP2, DSP3, DSP4 aso. Sadly i only have a Dingoo and no Pandora or Wiz.

skeezix: Could you send me your patches as i noted in the readme, i can add it to the code repository. Only one repository for one snes emulator would be more usefull. I can also add you as developer, that you can submit code. You can also benefit from this, just because i'm further enhancing my emulator.

The svn can be found here:
http://crankgaming.blogspot.com/

greetz from dingoonity^community
SiENcE

I will give u -0.01 euros for asking for money

Mithrildor said:
That's uncalled for. The devs are your friends, don't be rude to them or they shall have to smack you.

Mithrildor said:

@Mithrildor: I'm not asking for money! You should read more carefully! I just said (as you can read, some people in this thread want donate money to skeezix) if someone they can support me too, just because Snes9x4D is my work!
So don't troll around!
I also don't need money, maybe only to buy an pandora ;-), that i can also develop for this great device.

Hey skeezix where is the code of your Snes9x4D modifications? I would find it good if we could work together.

I only want to merge his modifications back into the main trunk of Snes9x4D. That further Snes9x4D version can also be build for Pandora.

Back