Snes9X4D4P

SiENcE said:
So it needs another patch for Pandora. I will add it to the official sources when Skeezix sends me the patch.

Actually, I think it's just a config file edit that skeezix needs to do.

skeezix said:
(its just a matter of putting "set $HOME=." in the sh-script, so that it thinks home is "here", rather than where it really is.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:

skeezix said:
(its just a matter of putting "set $HOME=." in the sh-script, so that it thinks home is "here", rather than where it really is.
Dare I make the suggestion that libpnd (or pnd_run) should be doing this by default, with an opt-out option in the pxml? That way you don't accidentally risk something writing its config files to the NAND home directory.

WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:

skeezix said:
Dare I make the suggestion that libpnd (or pnd_run) should be doing this by default, with an opt-out option in the pxml? That way you don't accidentally risk something writing its config files to the NAND home directory.

I was actually talking to skeezix earlier to ask if there was a way to make an overlay on the homedir so that even if you install from ipkg, the applications would still write their config data to the sd. (This would work for anything, including PNDs) If I find out anything pursuing this path, I will let you know.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I was actually talking to skeezix earlier to ask if there was a way to make an overlay on the homedir so that even if you install from ipkg, the applications would still write their config data to the sd. (This would work for anything, including PNDs) If I find out anything pursuing this path, I will let you know.
This would be ideal - there's a lot of stuff in the base OS that writes to $HOME right now (xfce and Arora among others). The challenge is of course providing a reliable (as in synchronised) bit of storage on media which can be removed or swapped at any time.

SteveM said:
God Ginrai said:
This would be ideal - there's a lot of stuff in the base OS that writes to $HOME right now (xfce and Arora among others). The challenge is of course providing a reliable (as in synchronised) bit of storage on media which can be removed or swapped at any time.
What sort of stuff does it write to the NAND?
If it's things like bookmarks etc, then I would have thought you want those on the NAND so it's not dependent on whichever SD you have inserted.
As for something like a cache, that I wouldn't care if it was on the SD card.

Na-Noo said:
What sort of stuff does it write to the NAND?
If it's things like bookmarks etc, then I would have thought you want those on the NAND so it's not dependent on whichever SD you have inserted.
As for something like a cache, that I wouldn't care if it was on the SD card.
It's mostly configuration stuff, which I guess is pretty static. There's however also some cache stored there which is rather dynamic and will potentially result in a lot of writes to the NAND. I would much prefer this was on SD.

Aren't major OS releases going to require a reflash of the NAND? Doesn't that mean that the contents of $HOME will be erased?

I hope the reflashing tool backs up $HOME to SD before flashing, then restores it once the job is complete!

I get back to topic now.

Yesterday i added Cheat support to Snes9x4D. CHT Files (used in ZSNES) are now supported. You have to put the {romname}.cht file into the savestate/sram folder.
This cheatfile gets loaded when rom is loaded. All cheats in this file are applied. Currently no ingame menu selection for cheats.

Release soon for Dingoo and Pandora on my blog.

Thanks SiENcE, the videos I've seen of the emulator been played on the Pandora are a little outset is this due to 1:1 scaling?

Is there a way to set it in the middle of the screen?

WizardStan said:

I distinctly remember reading that it does this already, but I guess not...

joshwaan2k said:
Thanks SiENcE, the videos I've seen of the emulator been played on the Pandora are a little outset is this due to 1:1 scaling?

Is there a way to set it in the middle of the screen?

skeezix wrote the scaler for pandora. On weekend i merge his changes into the code. Then i take a look into it. Testing this is a bit problematic. I always build an linux binary for testing. But i can't test on Pandora. But skeezix said, that he will maintain the Pandora builds of Snes9x4D as long as i have no Pandora todo it myself.

Sorry I need to catch up here ..

I'll be posting another snes9x4d4p pnd later, which emits stuff to SD instead of $HOME. Just had no time between launch, work, RL, etc :)

parag0n sent a sh-script change so it can handle 7z roms now; I'll put in the $HOME redirection. (ie: setting $HOME to "." ought to do it, so writes go to appdata.) Shoudl put a fe wmore fixes in for pandora variation --

Suffice to say I'll probably collude with Sience a bit, but give me a bit of time as things are nuts right now :)

jeff

In general, its not wise to try to map all writes to $HOME to SD, or to put the homedir _on_ the SD; why? Because SDs can be ejected or switched in the two slots, etc and so on. Hence, we put the responsibility on porters, which makes seomse sense.. and usually its _trivial_

Sience -- no sweat; I'll check the code, but in theory you're probably just using ~ or $HOME, in which case .. in the sh-script that launches the appwithin the pnd-file, I'll just piut "set $HOME=." and good to go ;) If you're doing directory walking/passwd-walking I'll alter the code.

jeff

skeezix said:
Sience -- no sweat; I'll check the code, but in theory you're probably just using ~ or $HOME, in which case .. in the sh-script that launches the appwithin the pnd-file, I'll just piut "set $HOME=." and good to go ;) If you're doing directory walking/passwd-walking I'll alter the code.

jeff

Does this not mean that any background tasks accessing $HOME will be directed to appdata?

Pleng said:
skeezix said:

jeff

Does this not mean that any background tasks accessing $HOME will be directed to appdata?

I'm pretty sure it would set it as a local variable rather than an environment variable.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Pleng said:
skeezix said:

jeff

I'm pretty sure it would set it as a local variable rather than an environment variable.

-God Ginrai

Yep, local only.

Last edited:
Back