So Are The Batteries Tested At All?

Mithrildor said:
Topic says all

<•02:53:12 PM•> <•GodGinrai•> I think we should warn against people starting it without it being plugged in until they are sure their battery is sufficiently charged

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't say that the title says it all, because it doesn't seem to - whilst I'm aware that one person has had a problem, where has the second one come from?

What did I miss? Charge the batteries for 8hours before using the Pandora? Or what's wrong. I have no idea what I'm talking about

Mithrildor said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53634-received-it-cant-get-it-to-work/
Thanks.

r00tw00t said:
What did I miss? Charge the batteries for 8hours before using the Pandora? Or what's wrong. I have no idea what I'm talking about

2 batteries have turned out not to work. Both users started their Pandoras not plugged in. My assumption is that the battery could have been horribly low on charge and things went awry.

-God Ginrai

aaah :/ I would follow the instructions http://www.pandorawiki.org/User_manual#Charging to be on the safe side

Yes, if the Battery is flat, it can take up to 10 minutes of charging before the Pandora boots up or the charger LED goes on.
If that doesn't help, try removing and reinserting the battery (the way it is explained in the manual) and try to recharge.

All Pandoras we produce are switched on using the battery at least once, however, this is just some quick test that will also work when they are pretty much empty.

Seeing it turned on, booted and then switched off sounds like an empty battery to me.

I know I feared that my Pandora prototype was broken when I first had that problem (that was before we implemented that the Pandora shuts down when the battery goes below 5%), but charging it for a couple of minutes worked.

EvilDragon said:
Yes, if the Battery is flat, it can take up to 10 minutes of charging before the Pandora boots up or the charger LED goes on.
If that doesn't help, try removing and reinserting the battery (the way it is explained in the manual) and try to recharge.

All Pandoras we produce are switched on using the battery at least once, however, this is just some quick test that will also work when they are pretty much empty.

Seeing it turned on, booted and then switched off sounds like an empty battery to me.

I know I feared that my Pandora prototype was broken when I first had that problem (that was before we implemented that the Pandora shuts down when the battery goes below 5%), but charging it for a couple of minutes worked.

Pawprints pandora has been charging for many hours. According to what I heard it charged then the min menu for charging popped up and then it turned off immediatly. Please come online on the IRC (#openpandora, freenode)

So what else is new? This reads like something I've experienced with various other electronics. Open package, charge, then use. This stuff is in all those manuals for a reason ;)

dead/faulty batteries just happen. (happened on my macbook pro..)

if it's really broken, op will most likely replace it (there's a warranty, i think..)

I can't image there ever being a single electronic device in the history of electronics that has ever released and never had a problem. If the only issue with the Pandora is a few bad batteries we should all bow down and thank what ever god watches over computers and electronics.

oh, it sucks to have a dead panda
4581panda.jpg

EvilDragon said:

Does this mean, that the Pandora do not even turn on instantly, when the Handheld is pluged into mains? Or can I instantly use the Pandora during (first) charging? :unsure:

Hum, I was under the impression MWeston changed the design so that the Pandora worked without battery...
Is this not the case? (I might be mistaken, I know normally this ARM chipset needs an battery connected to work)

fusion_power said:
Does this mean, that the Pandora do not even turn on instantly, when the Handheld is pluged into mains? Or can I instantly use the Pandora during (first) charging? :unsure:

I want to know this too. Am I interpreting correctly that this means the Pandora is not powered directly from the AC adapter but that the adapter only powers the charging circuit?

Exophase said:
fusion_power said:

I want to know this too. Am I interpreting correctly that this means the Pandora is not powered directly from the AC adapter but that the adapter only powers the charging circuit?

<•03:53:19 PM•> <•EvilDragon•> GodGinrai: Yeah, it always goes through the AC Adaptor.
<•03:53:24 PM•> <•EvilDragon•> Damn :D
<•03:53:29 PM•> <•EvilDragon•> Through the Charging Circuit.

It still works without a battery in, though.

-God Ginrai

Might be an idea to ask Mweston for some final words on this.
If the battery needs to hold charge to "bootstrap" the charging process then it might be a very good idea to ask people to NOT turn the pandora on until it's say's "full" (or whatever is safe).

ah, i'm too lazy to dig this age-old thread out, but yeah, you couldn't charge and run at least early prototypes at the same time. but i thought mweston did some magic on the rev.4/5 board to fix this?

Back