SoC Poll - What's most important for you?

Power or Battery - what's more important for you?

• Power - I don't care about battery, as long as it's the FASTEST!

Votes: 38 11.0%
  • Balanced - I don't mind a little shorter battery life if it has more power

Votes: 199 57.5%
  • Battery - I'm pretty sure every current SoC is fast enough for my needs, but I want a long battery l

Votes: 109 31.5%

• Total voters

NICE. :D

I especially like this quote from that first link:

AllWinner said:
Fundamentally, the UltraOcta A80 and its platforms give OEMs the highest performance, most power-efficient and cost-effective solution for a range of devices, including tablets, portable game consoles, STBs, media players and many others. We’re excited to see the first UltraOcta devices hit the market soon.
I really hope we do get the A80. This sounds so good.

EDIT: It seems that liliputing is already claiming we're using the A80: http://liliputing.com/2014/02/meet-allwinner-ultraocta-a80-processor.html <.< Although, I hope that becomes true.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:

AllWinner said:
Fundamentally, the UltraOcta A80 and its platforms give OEMs the highest performance, most power-efficient and cost-effective solution for a range of devices, including tablets, portable game consoles, STBs, media players and many others. We’re excited to see the first UltraOcta devices hit the market soon.

EDIT: It seems that liliputing is already claiming we're using the A80: http://liliputing.com/2014/02/meet-allwinner-ultraocta-a80-processor.html <.< Although, I hope that becomes true.

-God Ginrai
Whoa!  That quote from Liliputing is nice.  I hope it will be true  :D

And they refuse to update it even after being alerted, I don't think they really get it.. Hope my comment helps -_-

The internet certainly is weird and interesting sometimes...
Agreed. But the good news is that there is some more information out about the A80, and they also seem interested in supplying gaming devices with their SoC. :D

(I was totally hoping you would go "Ah, liliputing spoiled the surprise!" <.<)

-God Ginrai

(I was totally hoping you would go "Ah, liliputing spoiled the surprise!" <.<)
Maybe he can't because of some twisted NDA he had to sign, but actually they were supplied with a free reference design, a couple dev boards and premium support and are now working with the A80 for a planned release in early May at the latest (actually more like two months from now). :)

Yeah, an NDA where only liliputing is allowed to know he's using it. Sounds plausible enough.

AllWinner said:

-God Ginrai
Isn't it great how they link to a side where it says that the Pyra will use OMAP 5?

Hello Guys and Gals the post on lilliputting which covered the Pyra initially gotten an update:

Update: While initial work on the project involve an OMAP5 processor, the team is also now looking into Qualcomm Snapdragon, Allwinner A80, and Intel Bay Trail processor options.
Regarding further options: is a specifically made daughter board out of question? Like asking Nvidias "board partners" to produce and assemble break-out-board style packages or even to have the prototypes manufactured in germany and the final boards in Taiwan (e.g. Asus and the like). 

Another direction could be to investigate into disassembling existing products. For instance to obtain access to an Apple A7(x) one could obtain fully working Apple devices remove the casing and reuse their main circuit board for that case. It would need a interfacing board to include the peripherals the Pyra needs. However the latter comes with heavy drawbacks and is surely a very costly (and hence desperate) option.

Hello Guys and Gals the post on lilliputting which covered the Pyra initially gotten an update:

Update: While initial work on the project involve an OMAP5 processor, the team is also now looking into Qualcomm Snapdragon, Allwinner A80, and Intel Bay Trail processor options.

Still bullshit. Seems like the author is just reading in this forum and updating all the time now...

OMAP5 has always been #1 on the list and still is out of good reasons.

Regarding further options: is a specifically made daughter board out of question?
Daughter board is not only IN the question, it is currently the answer! The most recent design calls for a 2 layer "main board" with the keyboard and nubs and other peripherals, and a complex 8 layer "daughter board" for the SoC, RAM, and eMMC. It's all in the Official News section.

-God Ginrai
Isn't it great how they link to a side where it says that the Pyra will use OMAP 5?
I don't like this company.
bingo.. the chip MIGHT be amazing.. but I don't trust them yet :|

Nothing is stopping ED from sourcing a bunch of samples and giving them a go.

Back