SoC Poll - What's most important for you?

Power or Battery - what's more important for you?

• Power - I don't care about battery, as long as it's the FASTEST!

Votes: 38 11.0%
  • Balanced - I don't mind a little shorter battery life if it has more power

Votes: 199 57.5%
  • Battery - I'm pretty sure every current SoC is fast enough for my needs, but I want a long battery l

Votes: 109 31.5%

• Total voters

Voted for balanced and x86. Basically because I want to run steam on this device. To play the linux steam games as well as use as a streaming device. In addition to be a phone replacement (3g) as well as a possible pc replacement (dock)

Im sure x86 will help bring INDIE DEVELOPERS to PYRA easily [effordless]. Basically indie devs will need add to every app/game proper scalling (small code) for Pyra and port's done :D . It couldnt be more easy.. If making a port for pyra from linux x86 will be effordless, why NOT RELEASE it for pyra?
It's not effortless. Most indie games are made for large screens. Look at FTL : it wouldn't work on a 5'' screen. And there are many other like that.

Plus, If the game is written in C/C++/SDL, there shouldn't be much extra work to compile for ARM instead of x86. What's preventing current devs to make stuff on ARM Linux is that the market is very small, not that it's technically difficult.
Pyra's LCD has pretty big resolution already, so im sure there will not be needed to implement any scalling in INDIE PORTs. 

"If the game is written in C/C++/SDL, there shouldn't be much extra work to compile for ARM instead of x86"

True, but only if you're working as a dev'r-freelancer for OP community. In Indie dev studios [ small companies ] it's not working that way. Long version short: Every action in company will generate expenses, even setting up deving env [new desktop pc + linux] and you'll need to create new one position. When deving on x86 to x86 there's no need to create anything new inside small dev company.

Last edited by a moderator:
And another pack of pros (x86)

- Skype on pyra

- Steam on pyra

- upstream apps like gimp, ff, cad-like,

- dropbox on pyra

- Haiku / reactos operating systems out of the box

- bigger audience

- More coders will focus on pyra

- Windows (which isnt a pro for me, but might be for u)

- a lot new opportunities..

Not a given. There is a huge probability it wont boot...
- a lot new opportunities..
And tons of support problem (I for one fear tons of thread like : "where may I downloaded a windows copy that works on pyra ?" not counting the "give me my money back, this shit doesnt run crysis at 60fps)

- upstream apps like gimp, ff, cad-like,
this have nothing to do with architecture you know and debian takes care of availability very well

- Steam on pyra

Unless Gabe buys pyra it'll be mostly experimental thing to be used when docked/connected to monitor/connected to VR glasses

- More coders will focus on pyra
nothing will stop them actually anyway if pyra drivers will present pyra controls as something standard. It's not a SoC or architecture issue

on sd only if it's even possible

And tons of support problem (I for one fear tons of thread like : "where may I downloaded a windows copy that works on pyra ?" not counting the "give me my money back, this shit doesnt run crysis at 60fps)
It's not like we haven't such threads on pandora forums. I believe that if advertising will focus on linux and indie side of things we could handle problems like this (I mean they'll be not that big)

And antivirus. Sorry cant help
if windows/flash/adobe-stuff will be used on pyra :p , yes this would help :D

Of course ED will finally decide [and investors..], but i think we shouldnt kick x86 platform, because it's 'too mainstream' for some geeks.. 

If there will be competitor for pyra, but with x86 onboard, i would buy it instead of pyra. Its because x86 will be more handy for me in many ways. 

And antivirus. Sorry cant help
if windows/flash/adobe-stuff will be used on pyra :p , yes this would help :D

Of course ED will finally decide [and investors..], but i think we shouldnt kick x86 platform, because it's 'too mainstream' for some geeks.. 

If there will be competitor for pyra, but with x86 onboard, i would buy it instead of pyra. Its because x86 will be more handy for me in many ways. 
This is basically how I feel. I'm very excited to see bay trail and the upcoming mullins running steam. Unfortunately they are all using windows and are tablets. I would love a x86 linux clamshell with full keyboard and gaming controls. I've already got an arm gaming and emulation device (nvidia shield) and whiles its ok it doesn't even come close to playing the games or running that apps that I want. An arm pyra would come close to that but an x86 pyra would be ideal.

the pro with going with x86 is a large game library.

bay trail (and cherry trail, the upgrade in q4 2014) can both boot into linux or windows. This is important because of indie games. They will run on all 3 desktop platforms, but most likely on intel/amd equipped machines,not ARM. It also opens up older pc titles (e.g morrowind) for people to play.

Still, I do like the snapdragon 800/805, as they show good performance in cpu and graphics and LTE radios.

Overall the best option would be good power consumption and optimisation between the soc and the OS that will be used, as a 2.4Ghz processor that dies in 1 hr is quite counter-productive to the idea of a handheld. I'd wait until mid to late 2014 to finalise it.

I'd wait until mid to late 2014 to finalise it.
I'm not sure that ED has enough money to be able to wait that long though.
I said that because of new soc releases and the possibility of the pcb/case design not being finished, thus waiting till mid to late 2014 for newer socs and details from qualcomm and other soc vendors. also cherry trail promises vast increases in battery life.(bay trail already has 8+hours on 8 inch devices,un-optimised). theres some benefit to waiting, but if it does screw up funding then arm should do just fine.

thus waiting till mid to late 2014 for newer socs
There are ALWAYS newer SoCs. By mid 2014 there'll be something else announced and just wait until late 2014, when something else will be announced so maybe wait until early 2015... an arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere and ED is choosing to draw it closer to now so that he can get to production as quickly as possible and minimize his monthly costs without major income. The Pandora production is about to run out, he needs something to take its place, he can't afford to wait too many months more.People (self included) have been saying the Pyra is a year or two away, but I'm starting to think I've been very wrong about that, EvilDragon seems to have a much tighter schedule than I'd originally realized. He needs something he can get and test ASAP, not 6 or 8 months from now.

thus waiting till mid to late 2014 for newer socs
There are ALWAYS newer SoCs. By mid 2014 there'll be something else announced and just wait until late 2014, when something else will be announced so maybe wait until early 2015... an arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere and ED is choosing to draw it closer to now so that he can get to production as quickly as possible and minimize his monthly costs without major income. The Pandora production is about to run out, he needs something to take its place, he can't afford to wait too many months more.
People (self included) have been saying the Pyra is a year or two away, but I'm starting to think I've been very wrong about that, EvilDragon seems to have a much tighter schedule than I'd originally realized. He needs something he can get and test ASAP, not 6 or 8 months from now.
I hesitated to write more or less this, as this is obvious. A choice has to be made.

By mid 2014 there'll be something else announced and just wait until late 2014, when something else will be announced so maybe wait until early 2015... an arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere and ED is choosing to draw it closer to now so that he can get to production as quickly as possible and minimize his monthly costs without major income.
THE-LINE-MUST.jpg

Back