Some Good Linux Games.

BZFlag is an awesome game, however the controls are a little... different, shall we say?

Controls:
  • Position of mouse relative to center decides the direction to move your tank in. Upper-left corner turns your tank to the left while moving forward, while moving your mouse to directly below the center of the screen (alright, mouse box, but let's not confuse things) drives your tank in reverse without turning.
  • Left-click fires a shot, laser, or shock-wave, depending on the flag you have at the time.
  • Right-click identifies who you are looking at, and what flag they have.
  • Tab key causes your tank to jump if the map you are in enabled jumping.
All the other actions are probably fine assigned to the keyboard, but these need Pandora-specific mappings.

Also, the 3D in BZFlag is not very intense at all. In fact, it's probably one of the only FPS that doesn't focus on graphics.

javaJake said:
BZFlag is an awesome game, however the controls are a little... different, shall we say?

Controls:
  • Position of mouse relative to center decides the direction to move your tank in. Upper-left corner turns your tank to the left while moving forward, while moving your mouse to directly below the center of the screen (alright, mouse box, but let's not confuse things) drives your tank in reverse without turning.
  • Left-click fires a shot, laser, or shock-wave, depending on the flag you have at the time.
All the other actions are probably fine assigned to the keyboard, but these need Pandora-specific mappings.

Also, the 3D in BZFlag is not very intense at all. In fact, it's probably one of the only FPS that doesn't focus on graphics.
Would be easy, in my opinion. Just map the position of the mouse to what direction and how far the analogs are!

Last edited by a moderator:
Means someone has to work on it, and all developers around here will no doubt be busy on launch day to write their own stuff. Maybe if there's a "HOWTO Port Software" document in the wiki I'll take a hack at it. :p

javaJake said:

Controls:

I can't speak from authority here, but I would think any tank game is just begging to be ported to use the analog sticks for independent control of the treads...

Sphinxter said:
Cannot wait to get home and try this one but I'm a penny-arcade fan.
http://www.playgreenhouse.com/game/HOTHG-000001-01/

I tried this on my UMPC which is more powerful than the pandora and had a woeful time with it.

I don't think it will work on the Pandora, but I think you're just saying that you're excited about the game and going off topic. The demo was really good!

With a touch screen, one game that should work well in this form factor is POWDER, http://www.zincland.com/powder. While it has a dependency on SDL, in practice it only needs a dumb frame buffer so could be ported prior to an SDL port.

Disclaimer: As the author, it is a bit of hubris to include my own creation in a reply to "good games"

jlait said:
With a touch screen, one game that should work well in this form factor is POWDER, http://www.zincland.com/powder. While it has a dependency on SDL, in practice it only needs a dumb frame buffer so could be ported prior to an SDL port.

Disclaimer: As the author, it is a bit of hubris to include my own creation in a reply to "good games"

You can't go too far wrong with a Roguelike, so I'm sure it's a good game. :p

jlait said:

This actually looks really good, and with some high-resolution sprites and a bit of touch-screen magic, this would be a game that I'd get highly addicted to :D

jlait said:

You could have it on the GP2X - see my sig.

I just haven't got around to the touch screen support yet (doesn't help not having an F-200).

Parkydr said:
jlait said:

You could have it on the GP2X - see my sig.

I just haven't got around to the touch screen support yet (doesn't help not having an F-200).

Wow! I hadn't realized you had made that port. Excellent work! The GP2X is a platform I really wanted to support as I like the open attitude to homebrew, but without hardware never got around to trying to cross compile for.

Did you make any changes outside of port/gp2x to support this platform? Would you mind if I roll your changes into the main baseline so I can keep the gp2x version up to date? (I can set up a cross compiler and just compile each version blind, like I do for the PSP version) Is "Parkydr" the name I should credit for the port?

jlait said:
Did you make any changes outside of port/gp2x to support this platform?
Here's the source code with my changes.

I've just added a ports/gp2x directory, a buildall.gp2x.sh script and makerules.GP2X.

You may won't to fiddle with the build script, it uses the host compiler for the data generation and the cross compiler for the gp2x stuff. You could just compile the GP2X bits separately like the PSP.

The rest of the code should be unchanged 104 source.

Would you mind if I roll
your changes into the main baseline so I can keep the gp2x version up to date? (I can set up a cross compiler and just compile each version blind, like I do for the PSP version)

Of course not, I'd be honoured :)

Is "Parkydr" the name I should credit for the port?

I'd prefer to be credited as "Dave Parker".

whats the name of the game where you have to catch penguins with drawing lines to put them in as less space as possible? =) i like it :D

&| quake 3 !!

Back