Some Good Linux Games.

Firefox said:
hobbyman said:
warzone 2100

Yeah, that might be a good match for the Pandora.

http://wz2100.net/

I'll have to play it on my EeePc when I get a minute, see how it fares on a 800x480 screen. I think it should be good, the graphics seem a bit small at 1280x1024 when I run it on my Windows box.

I think Warzone 2100 would be perfect for the Pandora. With the 2 joypads being ideal for the 3D navigation and the touch screen support for selecting and moving the units.
I can imagine using the stylus to draw a circle around a group of tanks for selecting them and holding it on the screen for a couple of seconds to bring up the units options menu. This would be even easier than playing it on a laptop :D

Plus the 3D looks very impressive in the newest releases without being too hungry on the old system resources. Wonder if they would consider doing an official port if they can get a dev unit? What better way for them to show off what the game can do.

Multi-player would be rockin too :)

EDIT: As this used to be a commercial game, a good native version could also make the software companies sit up and take more notice too. Might tempt them into porting over some other good games that are too old to sell on PC now :)

EDIT2: I didn't see any harm in testing the water, so I made a new post on the projects forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICEBREAKER! Man, I love that game on my N800. It is incredibly addicting, and with the touchscreen instead of a mouse, it becomes beyond awesome. And the penguins are so cute! Uhg, I mean...(gruff voice) Stupid kiddy games, I am a hardcore gamer and games like that suck. So do penguins. And the wii. Yeah, I'm tough.

Hi. Please, someone port tremulous. Its open-source and its cross platform so people can play multiplayer with friends that play tremulous on pc! If trenulous will be ported to pandora it will be another very good reason to buy :pandora1: !!!!

I'm considering coding a World of Sand for the Pandora, when I finally get one. (if ever, not a whole lot of cash) I half did a clone for the DS, called SandScape. There's a demo out and a Youtube video. The high resolution screen and OMAP should make it far easier to do than it was on the DS.

NeX-Ferret said:
I'm considering coding a World of Sand for the Pandora, when I finally get one. (if ever, not a whole lot of cash) I half did a clone for the DS, called SandScape. There's a demo out and a Youtube video. The high resolution screen and OMAP should make it far easier to do than it was on the DS.
I assume its this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljdrj7Vxzk
If so, color me impressed. I would LOVE to see what you could do with the Pandora Hardware. It runs much better on the DS than I expected!

Yeah, that's the one. A right pig to make that fast, needed pointer manipulation all the time, fixed memory locations and all kinds of shortcuts.

I need something to do, so if nobody else has called it I'll try to port Tux Racer (when the Pandora is released, that is).

No promises, but I doubt it's outside my skill set.

icurafu said:
I tried this on my UMPC which is more powerful than the pandora and had a woeful time with it.
Heh... Pretty much every UMPC doesn't have more 3D muscle right at the moment than the Pandora-
this game's pretty 3D heavy, actually, for as "simple" as things looked in the game.

I don't think it will work on the Pandora, but I think you're just saying that you're excited about the game and going off topic. The demo was really good!

I wouldn't venture a guess either way as to whether or not Penny Arcade Adventures would play or not. I'll get a better feel for things once I get my hands on a Pandora... ;)

Svartalf said:
I wouldn't venture a guess either way as to whether or not Penny Arcade Adventures would play or not. I'll get a better feel for things once I get my hands on a Pandora... ;)
That demo doesn't even run on my laptop (not REALLY old, but still old, X300 Mobility 96MB video RAM, 1.6 Ghz Centrino, 1GB RAM), which can play a lot of games (albeit, not Crysis or anything like that).

Apparently it requires some really new shader engine that my graphics card doesn't support. I'm going to guess that something even more portable than my laptop will not have that shader engine on it.

Just looked it up, minimum requirements:

ATI Radeon 9500 or better / NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 or better / Intel GMA 950 or better with 64 MB of video memory

What the hell? :angry:

BCable said:
ATI Radeon 9500 or better / NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 or better / Intel GMA 950 or better with 64 MB of video memory

What the hell? :angry:
The GMA 950's got me wondering, but the others would imply that you're better off with a little Vertex shader support with the game. The x300 isn't IN the same class as the first two (though the Intel 950 minimum has me wondering...)- I think if they did a re-spin of the Linux engine for Pandora, it'd just fit.

NeX-Ferret said:
Yeah, that's the one. A right pig to make that fast, needed pointer manipulation all the time, fixed memory locations and all kinds of shortcuts.
I think the thing's pretty slick. Can't wait to see it on Pandora- nice show-piece and a fun time-waster for those that like "doodling"... :D

Reminds me of Burning Sand.... Friggin great game, and would love to see something like it on the Pandy ;)

Edit: I'm also +1 for a wishful Armagetron port... I waste so many hours on that game as it is, making it mobile will consume my life.

There's a fun flight-simulator called GL-117. That would be a nice game to show off the hardware, if anyone wanted to port it to 2.0 ES.

Vorporeal said:
There's a fun flight-simulator called GL-117. That would be a nice game to show off the hardware, if anyone wanted to port it to 2.0 ES.
I was really looking for that to improve but it looks like they've stopped working on it :(

Check out a game called Thunder and Lightning for a nice looking flight game (if the web site is back up?) :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Vorporeal said:
I was really looking for that to improve but it looks like they've stopped working on it :(

Check out a game called Thunder and Lightning for a nice looking flight game (if the web site is back up?) :)

I was able to load the frontpage, and I have to say it looks sexy. But then clicking anything brought me an SQL error, and now even the homepage is giving me SQL errors. But yeah, thats a pretty nice looking flight game.

I just discovered GunROAR. I think this would be an awesome game for the Pandora. It's even more fun than Noiz (or at least the same), and its double-stick mode (two player) would match with the Pandora analog nubs. :)

javaJake said:
I just discovered GunROAR. I think this would be an awesome game for the Pandora. It's even more fun than Noiz (or at least the same), and its double-stick mode (two player) would match with the Pandora analog nubs. :)
every ABA game deserves to be ported ^^
My favorite is Torus Trooper tho ^^ addictive as hell, would be great to see that run on the pandora.
and noiz2sa ofcourse (and rrootage etc.... xD they are just so great to play)

Back