Sony PSP Phone Pics

this kind of got covered up by the announcement of the psp2 but it looks like sony if full speed ahead with the backport of psp software on the psp phone

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/sony-announces-playstation-suite/

it requires android 2.3 it is android wide which is great news for the psp phone and android as a platform more than just the psp phone. (like I was already forcasting but anyway) PSX emulator is already confirmed, psp is not but I don't doubt we will see that some day or at a minimum seeing some of the same titles. I'm extremely excited about this and highly reccomend that if anyone were to port android to the pandora it be at least version 2.3 to take advantage of the software.

What I personally can't wait for is more info on the psx emulator... if this can be tapped into... full speed, full compatibility psx emulator for android... umm... thanks a lot sony!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many Android Smart phones will be launched with gaming controls when PSP Suite launches for Android?

Im thinking the Xperia play will be the first in a long line of others.

I dont think any other manufacturer will be allowed to use the psp suite officially im afriad. (of course im sure it will be hacked to run on other devices.)

I dont think any other manufacturer will be allowed to use the psp suite officially im afriad. (of course im sure it will be hacked to run on other devices.)
hearing their conference on the new psp, they will "certify" android phones for the "psp suite experience" considering how you can use aosp android on any device as you see fit, but for the "google experience" you need to be certified by google. This might be a licensing thing, it may be just be a marketing thing.

How will this translate to sony games and which will get them? I think the best financial choice for sony would be saturate the market.

Do they want hardware sales or software sales more? I bet more people would download their applications if it was available to all.

Would more people buy the psp phone (or certified equilivent) just to play those games to make up for potential software sales? I hardly think the the official sony certified phones will do well enough to make up that difference in profit potential.

Yes my understanding from all the Sony press releases is that the PSP Suite can be put on any Android phone (Android version dependent probably). Their goal seems to be to have it running on as many Android phones as possible to widen the market for Sony & third party PSP games. It's the smartest thing Sony has done in decades.

They are betting on Android as a smartphone/tablet/etc OS and they are betting on the smartphone & tablet market becomming the largest gaming platforms, as such they have developed a business model to take advantage of this. Very very clever.

I'm guessing that certification will probably go to phones that are similarly equipped to the psp phone. So you'll be able to buy, download, and use their software on any android device, but only ones with gaming controls will be certified. Which would be covering themselves against people complaining that they bought game X but were unable to play it properly on their device.

I'm guessing that certification will probably go to phones that are similarly equipped to the psp phone. So you'll be able to buy, download, and use their software on any android device, but only ones with gaming controls will be certified. Which would be covering themselves against people complaining that they bought game X but were unable to play it properly on their device.

This is how I interpret it as well. It's a bold smart move by Sony. Sony has a track record of only having their hardware play media, but I guess they finally realized that proprietary formats weaken the foundation.

All we need now is Android 3.0 HW GUI ported to Android phone flavors and it will be a bad ass device. Can't wait to see what other companies make.

So, this just in, the playstation store, or the play station suite, will be seeing it's way to other android devices!

http://www.androidcentral.com/playstation-suite-coming-tegra-powered-android-devices

http://phandroid.com/2011/03/10/playstation-suite-coming-to-tegra-equipped-devices

http://androidandme.com/2011/03/news/playstation-games-coming-to-tegra-devices

this is great news, as they are not completely focusing on just sony owned hardware! Now it's not as good as all previously existing hardware, but just the fact it's open enough that it's not tied to one specific model of phone, but devices from an entire family of processors means the chances of it being ported to other devices unoffically is extremely high.

and the hint of a PS2 emulator, yes playstation 2!

enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really get the hate for this phone. So what if it doesn't have the controls and battery life that Pandora has, it'll be widely available, have 100% more gaming controls than any other Android phone currently on the market and likely have battery life comparable to current high-end smart phones. If the Xperia Play is priced similarly to phones like the Desire HD I'll be getting one because there's no down side. It does everything other Android devices do plus has gaming controls.

Back