Speccyal K v0.4 released !

_tyrell_

Website
www.speccyal.be
This 48k/128k spectrum emulator (supporting AY-3-8910 sound, virtual keyboard, custom keys ...) for the GP32 has been updated to version v0.4.

What's new:

- Savestates added. For saving, press L+R simultaneously. A snapshot of the currently emulated machine will be performed to a .SAV file. This corresponds to a .SNA if working in 48k mode, or a .Z80 if working in 128k mode. The savestate will be *automatically* loaded the next time the game is selected in the file browser. Please note that as of now, loading a SLT savestate won't work. This is really 100% functional for 48k .ZNA or 48k/128k .Z80 files.

- Added a "reboot gp32" option (active as soon as the option menu is exited). This option is not saved on SMC, otherwise it would be impossible to launch the emulator :p

- Added more keys in the virtual keyboard: ss, cs, en, bs, sp (symbol shift, caps shift, enter, back space, space).

- Changed the way the " key is working : it's not sending a LOAD"" command anymore, but is simply sending the " key, because it was causing too many problems (depending on the rendering option).

- Recompiled with GCC. A nice side effect is that sound is better (less background noise).

- Reduced the executable size to about 50% of the original size, thanks to b2fxec (thanks Mr. Spiv)

Get it at http://www.speccyal.be

_tyrell_

Excellent stuff, thanks!

*downloads, hoping it'll work!*

[edit - works fine, thanks Tyrell - great stuff as ever!]

Which group of roms has this dizzy that everyone wants in it, I am too lazy to find out myself :D

rcx21000 posted on May 26 2003 said:
Which group of roms has this dizzy that everyone wants in it, I am too lazy to find out myself :D
EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED ABOUT DIZZY

tyrell, one thing m8, when you assign EN (enter) to Fire2 (B button) it doesnt work... works fine on FIRE 1, but not 2 for some reason

if you put space on it its fine (jump in dizzy)

Last edited by a moderator:
tyrell, im having real bother with the assigning keys, like i said in the other post only thats with one game, but finding sometimes assinging keys just doesnt work

For example i just loaded Fantasy Land Dizzy and set SP to F1 and EN to F2, pressing A works as normal (EN), but pressing B doesnt jump as it should with the space... you can see this by going to the keyboard as norm and pressing SP, makes Dizzy jump :)

Any ideas?

any chance you could change it from FIRE 1&2 to A&B... or am i reading that wrong :)

EDIT: im actually completely confused how your FIRE 1&2 works... in some games (trying only the different Dizzy games here) the A & B buttons seem to swap round.. eg, ive set EN to FIRE 2, then in one game pressing B will bring up inventory... then in another pressing A will bring up the inventory.

But in most, one or the other key assignment doesnt work

im confusing myself, hope u can make out what i mean with all that rambling :)

M^4 posted on May 26 2003 said:
Bonks posted on May 26 2003 said:
Does this site know about the GamePark32? Perhaps they can add a link to the Speccyal K emulator? I am not a Dizzy fan so I figure one of his fans might want to contact them. :D
Good idea, might just do that get some more publicity :D

Cause we Dizzy fans are in the masses!!! :p

_tyrell_ posted on May 26 2003 said:
Going to check about the custom keys problem.

_tyrell_
Has anybody noticed some games that don't work with the latest version of Speccyal K?

Bruce Lee being a case in point, after you leave the first screen it crashes. Worked ok in previous versions.

Almost m8, this is getting weirder... i think it keeps reverting to use joystick controls somehow or another.

with 0.4b Dizzy 1 & 2 work fine, but any after that no matter what i set the Fire 1 to it is always defaulting to EN (i think this was what the joystick default is aint it?)

BUT, if you hold left or right (set to Z and X for Dizzy) and press the button, it worked fine (as in i had it set to SPACE (jump) so when walking and pressing it worked, but standing still it acted like ENTER)

Hope this helps narrow it down more :)

Hi, I just tried this out and the save state doesn't seem to be working for me. I find that if I press L+R to save a snapshot, when I next go to load the game the screen comes up as expected and then resets to 1982 Sinclair Research Limited. I have tried 2 games so far, Bomb Jack and Batty, and this happened both times. My snapshots are from World Of Spectrum. Is anyone else having this problem?

I just tested a Bombjack savestate (the SNA version) and it's working. I pressed L+R at second level, did a reset, then loaded the snapshot again and continued to play as normal.

_tyrell_

Hey guys,

I'm a new GP32 owner from Portugal (Wonder if there's any other Portuguese GP32'ers here or in any other GP32 forum besides me?!) :rolleyes:

1st of all, Thanks Tyrell for the doing a Speccy emu for this fantastic machine... The ZX Spectrum (as well as the AMiGA) is my fav home computer of all times and your emu really brought back some nice old memories :)

A600, mate... I used to have the same problem because I've been launching previous versions (.fxe) from a dir inside /GPMM using WindUps (like: /GPMM/Speccy/speccyal.fxe).

When I replaced the version 3 to version 4b into this very same path and launching through WindUps, it would always reset my GP32.

Now I'm running the app directly from GP32's Free Launcher (/GPMM/speccyal.fxe) and the emu runs fine!

Hope this helps!!! :)

Hmmm... Isn't a *EMU* some kind of animal from Australia?! :D

Thats a good point WildBoing, id forgotten all about that cause i stopped using windups ages ago, i wonder if this is a cause for a lot of problems with some folks on some emus :unsure:

Back