Startup Sound?

In Linux, if you are using the .xinitrc file (I think that's the one), you can just add a line like "exec <whatever the player is called> <soundfile>". It's located in the home directory on normal distributions. You may have to research what player plays what audio file. At least, that's how my system worked.

I think Xfce has a "startup applications" configuration in the control panel, so there's probably a way to set it up through there as well.

Depends how early on .. .xinitrc just brings up your DE but I'm bettng we're talking about rigt at power on

we could probably slip something into /etc (for after kernel, but set to early run level) as doing it in uboot/etc might be goofy. Neat idea ... )
hmm :)

jeffphone

skeezix said:
... as doing it in uboot/etc might be goofy. Neat idea ... )
hmm :)

do i hear magic in progress? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood. Yeah, having a boot animation would be pretty cool.

KodeIn said:
I'd love that animation at startup btw. I'm forever checking the volume all the time coz the pandora doesn't make any sounds at all. I guess I'm just used to windows but I miss having atleast some sound here or there. Thought we might of had some sound for when stuff finishes downloading etc but the pandora is god dam mute :)

I think a boot animation would be stupid. It slows down the boot so you can watch a movie. I really just want to get to the software. I think the boot screen is good right now. Just speed up the boot and possibly add the macintosh boot up chime.

maplesugarlover said:
add the macintosh boot up chime.

So we can all feel like killing ourselves every time we boot up our Pandoras?

-God Ginrai

KodeIn said:

Didn't see the point of the Tux inclusion in that intro. Too contrasting compared to the other flying objects which are all consoles. Otherwise good animation but I don't like the voice at the end.

I've not looked but I'd bet you could add goofy sounds to xfce? Check he control panels?

Nothing beats the plop noise the old Neetons used to make when you tap the stylus.

Jeff

Maybe something like an animation of Craig falling off of his roof or a slowly rotating bust of ED to the sound of Pet Shop Boys.
:lol:

Weird this topic should come up!

I did offer to create a startup 'jingle' a few months back... Craig did get in touch about it, but there were lots of question marks over whether it would be possible, and perhaps I should just do an "Pandora theme" MP3 to ship with each pandora so there was something on there to test the sound.

But I guess with the team being so busy it just didn't happen, and it's not top priority when people are barking for their Pandoras. ;)

CoLD SToRAGE said:
I did offer to create a startup 'jingle' a few months back... Craig did get in touch about it, but there were lots of question marks over whether it would be possible, and perhaps I should just do an "Pandora theme" MP3 to ship with each pandora so there was something on there to test the sound.
I'm pretty certain it will be possible at some point.
Even if OP aren't working on it, someone will probably hack something together to play a bootup sound soon.

Aninhumer said:
CoLD SToRAGE said:
I'm pretty certain it will be possible at some point.
Even if OP aren't working on it, someone will probably hack something together to play a bootup sound soon.
It's a shame this didn't happen.

CoLD SToRAGE said:
Weird this topic should come up!

But I guess with the team being so busy it just didn't happen, and it's not top priority when people are barking for their Pandoras. ;)

It's not the first time it's been mentioned in recent days either, IIRC - and whatever happened about the wallpapers? Are they included somewhere somehow?

maplesugarlover said:
Better than a short clip playing every time you turn on the pandora , and why does that chime make you suicidal ?
I don't really see how a short clip and a sound are that different.
There's probably a way to do it without lengthening boot time too, if anything it would just give you something to look at while you wait.

If you want to turn it off, or change it, I'm sure it would be possible, so I don't see why you're against it?

Aninhumer said:
maplesugarlover said:
Better than a short clip playing every time you turn on the pandora , and why does that chime make you suicidal ?
I don't really see how a short clip and a sound are that different.
There's probably a way to do it without lengthening boot time too, if anything it would just give you something to look at while you wait.

If you want to turn it off, or change it, I'm sure it would be possible, so I don't see why you're against it?
An option to configure it , or turn it off would be great. Just thought that it would be in the firmware or hard to change.

Back