Starving For Pandora!

I'm really starving for a cortex based 800x480 UMPC, that is why I come here every day and hit refresh button several times hopping to learn out something new - that's what I do. It's sad how topics started by our less experienced members are closed on sight without any note on what has caused such a rapid reaction. And it's especially sad because some of them ask about news from the front - the reason most of us are here (IMHO). Some explanation should be given to newcomers. Not every newbie is aware of specificity of news around Panda. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
You're wrong. My point was, the Craiginator was just going to be a simple upgrade to the GP2X, (sort of like the Wiz). But it evolved into much more, and that (much more) is what the Pandora is.
Actually, the Pandora was always called the Pandora from day one (even when it was based on the previous chipsets we looked at), but the name was not disclosed till later. In this time, people came up with there own names, of which "The Craiginator" was one of them.

So, Sphinxter is correct.

sataniC Virus said:
On topic - drinking beer, whiskey and putting stuff up for sale on e-bay to make sure I have the funds when this becomes available :)

Just paid the deposit for 10 days Tornado chasing next May. Surely that has to be the best use for a Pandora (should have it by then I hope!!). Driving up and down Tornado Alley in America for 8 hours a day in a van which has Internet access should give the battery life a run for it's money. I'll never get bored, that one machine will do everything I need whilst all the rest are sat listening to their boring Ipods (or chasing a tornado!).

Mark

PlopperZ said:
I'm tempted to post a wall of text here, but it seems like everyone else is sick and tired of this argument, so I won't ;)
I suppose it doesn't matter what it you call it, it's still a Pandora, and it's still awesome.

vuffi_raa said:
PlopperZ said:
Patiently waiting for my WiBrain to arrive in the mail.
I got one on launch (b1h w/ the big hd and a gig of RAM) I love the thing- check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQV8_pFS6dM that is me with the korg padkontrol and wibrain only

I still haven't received it in the mail :angry:

That's a pretty neat machine you've got there, if I had piles of cash lying around I'd pick one up just to play around with it.

You should send a PM to Skeezix and tell him what you think about your WiBrain. I know he's considering buying one, but wants to know a bit more about it first.

EDIT: Oh, and back OT, I've discovered Urban Terror, so that eats up my time a bit. Not a bad game considering it's free :)

I have the Wibrain and it's a great machine, but now is the worst moment to buy it, Wibrain I1 is coming out in october and looks much better. 3x baterry life, less heat and noise, hsdpa, ssd, Silverthorne, sd slot and the same awesome button/touch pad config. The only thing not looking good is that Silverthrone / Poulsbo gaming support is rough as of today with very preliminary drivers, but supposedly that should improve by October release.

Really, Wibrain B1 is a monster. Almost all emus work great, and many full commercial games work ok like deus ex, max payne, neverwinter nights, jedi knight 2, undying, system shock 2, etc. THe bad thing is that with gaming battery life last about 1 hour, it can get VERY hot, noisy, wifi range is low, USB is badly placed, and size is in no way pocketable, but currently it's the world's best portable gaming machine imho, d-pad works fine, touch pad allows for fps gaming, lots of buttons with good feedback, and besides is a great computer for low level tasks like surfing, word, excel, comic and book reading, whatever. Check umpcportal.com for lots of info in the official forums.

Pandora is such a different beast that they will interact well. A lightweight pocketable computer/console for great emu gaming, music and movie playback, and simple tasks anywhere / anytime with great homebrew and community support. Wibrain allows for more complex gaming, full windows xp support for pseudo-laptop performance that you can use where a 500gr, $500 machine is not at risk of theft. I'll carry Pandora everywhere, but in long, no risk travels Wibrain will be a better option.

sparkymark said:
sataniC Virus said:
On topic - drinking beer, whiskey and putting stuff up for sale on e-bay to make sure I have the funds when this becomes available :)

Just paid the deposit for 10 days Tornado chasing next May. Surely that has to be the best use for a Pandora (should have it by then I hope!!). Driving up and down Tornado Alley in America for 8 hours a day in a van which has Internet access should give the battery life a run for it's money. I'll never get bored, that one machine will do everything I need whilst all the rest are sat listening to their boring Ipods (or chasing a tornado!).

Mark
That sounds pretty cool - what a combination too! Send us the holiday photos...

Back