Static IP Address

Shouldn't something like that be done on the router side?

Find the static IP page on the router and put in a static IP and the Pandora's MAC address.

No, it can be configured on pandora:

- Rightclick on the wirelessicon in the taskbar and select "Edit connections" from the popupmenu

- Go to the "Wireless" tab and select the connection (hotspot you are using)

- Click "Edit" and approve the message, which asks you for access to the keyring

- In the window, that opens, click on "IPv4 Settings" tab

- Select "Manual" from the dropdownbox and enter you ip, nameserver, etc.

- After finishing your edits, click the "Applybutton to confirm the chages

Your wifi should reconnect now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Static/Reserved DHCP myself. Saves a lot of headaches later on. Though keep in mind not all routers/modems support it.

my IP provides me with a static IP address which is cool as that means I could host my own website if I wanted.

however I would never leave my main pc on all the time, but maybe if I get a little nas server in the future i would.

No, it can be configured on pandora:

- Rightclick on the wirelessicon in the taskbar and select "Edit connections" from the popupmenu

- Go to the "Wireless" tab and select the connection (hotspot you are using)

- Click "Edit" and approve the message, which asks you for access to the keyring

- In the window, that opens, click on "IPv4 Settings" tab

- Select "Manual" from the dropdownbox and enter you ip, nameserver, etc.

- After finishing your edits, click the "Applybutton to confirm the chages

Your wifi should reconnect now.

Thanks, worked a treat. I'm just setting up samba shares with my Pandora as the server to make transferring files easier. Connecting using the IP address seems to work a lot better than using the named server (moreso on Linux clients than Windoze funnily enough). So that's why I need the static IP address, just saves a few headaches.

I use Static/Reserved DHCP myself. Saves a lot of headaches later on. Though keep in mind not all routers/modems support it.
Never heard of that, is it something you do on the Pandora or on the modem? May have to look into it.

You just go to the router's web interface.

Somewhere under LAN category (that varies depending on manufacturer) you'd find an option to assign a certain IP to a device with certain MAC. Useful when you do port forwarding for some reason - games, torrents or dyndns service. :)

Something like this, dead simple:

Yes, thats the other possibility.

Did this to give my pandora the same ip everytime I connect with it actually.

Ah crap, spoke too soon. Using that method, I consistently get dropped packets when I ping my Pandora from another computer, something which doesn't happen with DHCP. So I've had to switch back (I'd rather not solve this particular problem than have problems with my wifi).

So, trying to solve it from the other end, I can connect to a Samba share served by my Pandora using the IP address, but not the name. In other words, this mount on my fstab table from another computer works:

Code:
//192.168.1.3/pandrom /home/kaprikawn/pandrom 	cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777   0 0

But this does not work:

Code:
//kaprikawnpandora/pandrom /home/kaprikawn/pandrom 	cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777   0 0

Is there any way for other Linux computers to recognise the Samba share using the Pandora's name rather than the IP address?

As a matter of interest, if I try to access the share from a Windows machine using the name (i.e. \\kaprikawnpandora\pandrom) it does work, only linux clients have the problem. But given that I want to run scripts from linux to sync and backup stuff I really could do with a connection from my Arch desktop.

Back