'stuff' Arriving In Uk 22Nd March

borgqueenx said:
Can someone answer the question i had in a other reply in this thread? Thanks...

CraigIx's twitter says "Looks like everything will have arrived here by the 22nd. How exciting."

Not just the cases. I assume nothing has been shipped there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
Maybe if you actually had a project plan and shared it with everyone and updated it daily like a real project manager these sort of ill feelings and misconceptions would not occur as everyone would know where the milestones and goal posts were and what to expect rather than dripping it out one accidental tweet at a time and keeping them in suspense.
HAH, that is the funniest thing I've ever heard. There are two types of project managers: the ones that update daily, causing at least one hour per day of lost production and often more, and then wonder why their project is falling behind; and those that set the project plan and then disappear, or get annoyed when you ask them for updates, or bother them with your petty problems, and so help you if you can't keep to the schedule because of something totally out of your control, especially if it was something he could have helped with if you had just told him there was a problem. :p
Which kind of manager do you think Craig would be? ;)

When you come at them with that atitude they certainly have my pity. The two types of project managers are good and bad just like the two types of resources are productive value adding and dead weight. It does not take a whole hour of an entire team's time to look around and see if anything has changed that would alter the current timeline and speak up. Maybe if you try actually doing the job to hold up your end of it and notify the rest of the team when you're going to fail no matter whose fault it would all go a lot smoother. Sorry but it's just not that hard. There is a big book called the PMBOK that can show you the methodology that people have been using and doing it right to deliver stuff on time for over a quarter century.

MooTheKow said:
borgqueenx said:
Can someone answer the question i had in a other reply in this thread? Thanks...

CraigIx's twitter says "Looks like everything will have arrived here by the 22nd. How exciting."

Not just the cases. I assume nothing has been shipped there yet.
Thanks. But craig could mean all the 4000 cases only when saying "everything" :(
can you please reply craigix?

MooTheKow said:
craigix said:
These messages about 'but why didn't you know' 'this is bad management' 'you don't know about manufacturing' is actually your own naivety about the industry.

We were originally estimated a far far lower figure for assembling the units which inexplicably ballooned to over double with no real explanation. Maybe they just don't have time to assemble the units. Maybe they don't want to. Maybe there is more money elsewhere.

This does happen in this industry for any of the above and more reasons.

Who really knows - what I do know though is that it should have always been done here. It makes so much more sense and gives us so much more control.

The whole team is looking forward to this now.

Everything is always someone else's fault, isn't it? It'd be much easier to believe if the blame didn't always fall on someone else's shoulders for every single thing that has gone wrong the last year and a half. Just once I'd like to see you actually apologize for doing something wrong instead of laying the blame elsewhere and then criticizing those of us who are unhappy about it.

Always.

I know you've seen this before Moo, but just for some extra context:

gibberish said:
how about this for irony.

MWeston said:
Our assembler and manufacturers make products for companies like Nokia so this won't be some two bit operation in the back of someone's garage. We will be able to provide a great quality product because we are making commitments with these companies well beyond the first 3000 so that pricing will be reasonable and we don't have to build junk in order to make a buck!

Much to read in this thread, I'll parse through in detail later. Just one thing beforehand: That '1000 cases a day' is a myth, which has already been corrected. I'm too lazy to search for quotes right now :p

Prometheus said:
xopher said:
Excellent! I'll spend my time waiting becoming a master at the game pick-up-sticks, I will school each and every one of you. Great news, thanks for the update!
Confirmed: Pick-up Sticks with online play and high score tables, coming to a Pandora near you.

Complete with emulated multi-touch interface action for full finger pick up action....GO!

Back on topic: At least the updates will be spot-on when the assembly-line begins (I like using hyphens even when unnecessary)

MooTheKow said:
I thought I was going to have Pandora to play while sitting around the hospital when my Daughter was born (even though that was going to be months later than I initially expected). She's going to be celebrating her first birthday before I get my Pandora. Let that sink in for a moment.

HA! That's hilarious! I'm more or less in that same boat! But I've got #2 due in mid-April! HAHAHA!

The whole team is tired of these posts by armchair project managers.

If you want to lecture us in making a handheld please put your cards on the table and let us know of your own amazing inventions which you have brought to market before getting all high and mighty here.

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts.

What's a Pandora?

I'm willing wait even a little longer if somebody can figure out how to make the Pandora act as a belt buckle, in addition to it's normal functionality.
Like on the Nintendo cartoon.

Also, if you guys are signing them, can you sign mine...

"Sorry about the other night.

-Harry Von Stuben"

Thanks!

Sphinxter said:
When you come at them with that atitude they certainly have my pity.
They don't need pity, they need to recognize that when I say "it'll be done in 5 days", tomorrow my answer will be "it'll be done in 4 days" and no amount of "can't you go any faster?" will change that. The good ones will either trust my judgment, or at most send a daily email asking if everything is on track or if there are any problems. The bad ones schedule a one hour meeting with all developers to figure out where everyone is sitting daily, which seems to be what you want Craig to do, take time out every day to update everyone on what the schedule is, which in most cases will be yesterdays schedule minus one. Or perhaps you think he should disseminate everything to everyone? The art team needs to know when the network team hits a glitch sort of thing?
Let Craig do his thing and stop telling him how he should be doing it, because you can't possibly know that your way would work better unless you had all the details right from the very start.

craigix said:

If you want to lecture us in making a handheld please put your cards on the table and let us know of your own amazing inventions which you have brought to market before getting all high and mighty here.

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts.
I agree here bro! If anything, this is getting people in the UK/EU their Pandoras quicker. I would rather bust my tail for a few 12 hour days chopping it up with other folks involved assembling Pandoras than be a couple hundred K in the hole. Its a smart business decision in my eyes getting Texas out of the final assembly loop and taking that cost/labor in-house.

Peace & Village Hall,

Link

craigix said:

+1

Its really really annoying to hear so many people bitch and moan about the project when its operating under such extraordinary circumstances. Its the exact same concept as a backseat driver and I think I speak for most of us that we all hate backseat drivers. The fact that the project has gotten this far despite all the setbacks makes me happy and confident that the little machine I bought will be arriving (whenever that may be) crafted with love and care.

View Postcraigix, on 02 March 2010 - 09:06 PM, said:

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts......... what is sick, is you people worship the ground this abusive , shit , dont care about people, idiot craing. why do yall worship this nut. he treats people like crap, as the above is prooView Postcraigix, on 02 March 2010 - 09:06 PM, said:

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts.r reading the avf. i tried to be quiet this time, but since i wont be gettinga unit, as if anyone will anyway, its pathetic that yall walk around rolling out the red carpet for this nut. ed and mr. weston, are not the so called team, its only the one that has lied to me then, and the rest of you now. all the texas stuff, and the assebly fees are all lies, as they knew before hand about all of that, there are no boards in teas , nor anywhere else, so mr. craig after reading the above, talking to people like their shit, i will do the same to you, shut your damn mouth. you have the biggest inflated ego I have ever come across in real life, or on the net. but thats easy to explain, you dont have a conscience. and the truth is, several thousand people have canceld their orders, thta is why they are running around like chickens, trying to come up with another lie, to keep the few left that havent cancel, from canceling. let the ban, all you inflated nuts.

I only discovered the Pandora 6 months ago, so I don't know the long, long road a lot of you have endured. Just 6 months of it.

A little longer, right? The pieces are coming together. Literally. The team itself is going to construct the Pandoras. Who else would you want putting yours together?

This comes down to real faith in the Pandora crew. Yeah, there have been stumbles and falls, but they keep getting up, keep moving forward; this thing is getting closer and closer to in-your-hands reality.

In addition to working as a voice actor, I'm also a studio engineer - and I can't tell you how many times we've recorded full, 8 hour projects, only to throw it all away and start from scratch. All the planning in the world, especially when you're doing something new, can't take every variable into account. There will be screw ups. And there will be delays.

I have to imagine, most teams throw in the towel by now. Fatigue, constant disappointment, the money dries up. But those with a vision to get things done, to finish what was started, no matter how many issues arise - are the ones you want to work with and stand by until the end.

So, have some faith, folks. This is their baby, and we're just waiting for them to deliver it for us, without any birth defects. They're the ones conceiving it, which is by far the more difficult.

We're closer to "the end" than ever before, which has had the odd effect of making people more annoyed than excited. Perhaps I'm a little naive on the effect of all the difficulties along the way (Paypal, etc.), but whatever...I can read and imagine.

It's almost here. Buckle up. Have faith. And support the team that hasn't stopped pushing forward.

Thanks, guys.

"aces and eights", I think you are wrong :) If I may ask, why make millions of accounts instead of sticking to one?

WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
When you come at them with that atitude they certainly have my pity.
They don't need pity, they need to recognize that when I say "it'll be done in 5 days", tomorrow my answer will be "it'll be done in 4 days" and no amount of "can't you go any faster?" will change that. The good ones will either trust my judgment, or at most send a daily email asking if everything is on track or if there are any problems. The bad ones schedule a one hour meeting with all developers to figure out where everyone is sitting daily, which seems to be what you want Craig to do, take time out every day to update everyone on what the schedule is, which in most cases will be yesterdays schedule minus one. Or perhaps you think he should disseminate everything to everyone? The art team needs to know when the network team hits a glitch sort of thing?
Let Craig do his thing and stop telling him how he should be doing it, because you can't possibly know that your way would work better unless you had all the details right from the very start.

Not at all, just update the map when something comes up to change it and display it for everyone to see, is that too much, does it hurt your sensibilities? Whatever your personal experience is that has soured you on project management I'm sorry for you but it has nothing to do with the managing of anything else, maybe your project manager in question has some good reason to doubt your ability to deliver in a timely fashionl, I don't know the details and frankly couldn't care less, I have nothing invested in your project.

You seem to have the grasp of it, not having all the details from the very start is the problem, people do not know what's involved or when to expect it and get things misconstrued, rumors, false assumptions and thus starts the bane of every project, users with unreasonable expectations. Details and information usually put an end to it. Clearly defined milestones and the steps to achieve them in reaching the goal. I'm just making a suggestion, Craigx can take it or leave it, he's a big boy.

craigix said:

Right. So despite the fact that I've had a lot of project management experience I'm quite certain that since it has nothing to do with some sort of "amazing invention" you'll just pass it off like any other comment. You've completely ignored several valid points and as MooTheKow said, you're always shifting blame and not taking any of the responsibility for when things go wrong. I'm not lecturing you in how to make a handheld, I'm lecturing on project management. You don't have to be a world-class trained chef to tell that mouldy cheese with cigarette butts makes for a bad meal.

Again, as I've stated before, I'm not expecting you to take all the blame. Heck no, the OPT has done an amazing job coming through with a product despite setbacks. But accepting responsibility for the things that are your fault to me is one of the key things to having good PR. Own up to what you do.

Had I realized way back when what was going to happen I probably would have volunteered to assist with project management, though given your attitude I doubt that would have been accepted.

Here's a free bit of advice that might save you some time:

When you post some new detail on the project status, don't just bury it in some forum thread. Put it in a new post or better yet, have a "OpenPandora Project Updates" thread that the entire team (and the team only) can post to. Discussions can happen off that thread, but new information could start there. That way we don't have to dig through an entire forum just to find out what the latest thing is that's going on.

Secondly, when you do update, spend a bit more time to fill out what you mean by things. Haven't you noticed by now that a lot of the posts that people put up all have to do with trying to interpret a one-line (or nearly one-line) update when it could have been solved by some surrounding context to that one line? It would probably save tons of time to give a more detailed account of the update rather than spending the time to update, read what people question about it, update with another one-line message, rinse, repeat.

And the other thing that is disappointing with everyone complaining about my posts (or posts like mine) is that they fail to recognize that I'm trying to be very fair in my posting. I am acknowledging that a lot of other problems have cropped up that are completely out of OPT's control. This issue seems to be extremely polarized in many peoples minds and that just gets us nowhere.

aces and eights said:
View Postcraigix, on 02 March 2010 - 09:06 PM, said:

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts......... what is sick, is you people worship the ground this abusive , shit , dont care about people, idiot craing. why do yall worship this nut. he treats people like crap, as the above is prooView Postcraigix, on 02 March 2010 - 09:06 PM, said:

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts.r reading the avf. i tried to be quiet this time, but since i wont be gettinga unit, as if anyone will anyway, its pathetic that yall walk around rolling out the red carpet for this nut. ed and mr. weston, are not the so called team, its only the one that has lied to me then, and the rest of you now. all the texas stuff, and the assebly fees are all lies, as they knew before hand about all of that, there are no boards in teas , nor anywhere else, so mr. craig after reading the above, talking to people like their shit, i will do the same to you, shut your damn mouth. you have the biggest inflated ego I have ever come across in real life, or on the net. but thats easy to explain, you dont have a conscience. and the truth is, several thousand people have canceld their orders, thta is why they are running around like chickens, trying to come up with another lie, to keep the few left that havent cancel, from canceling. let the ban, all you inflated nuts.

G.E.R.A.L.D, Is that you again ???.

EDIT: Oh, It is. :rolleyes: Bye bye Gerald :D

Trooper

Back