We Are Still Doing The Boards+Population In The Usa, But It Looks Like

Rathum said:
[

That was... odd.

HKTDC gives advice on import duties to/from various countries on their forums. Also, HTS subheading 8471 says computers under 10 kg are free, as others have said.
"the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China and Asia." The Pandora is being manufactured in England on boards populated and produced in America. Cases are made in China, but I don't think that makes the Pandora Chinese. I don't see how the HKTDC applies to your rational and what is so odd about my post?

FFS

Link

Edit: I'm not saying people are going to be paying import tax, I just don't see how Hong Kong & China are valid when the Big Show goes down in the UK and shipping goes from there. Now if you are shipping into Hong Kong from the UK, what does the HKTDC think about competition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mjlink said:
Rathum said:
[

That was... odd.

HKTDC gives advice on import duties to/from various countries on their forums. Also, HTS subheading 8471 says computers under 10 kg are free, as others have said.
"the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China and Asia." The Pandora is being manufactured in England on boards populated and produced in America. Cases are made in China, but I don't think that makes the Pandora Chinese. I don't see how the HKTDC applies to your rational and what is so odd about my post?

FFS

Link

Edit: I'm not saying people are going to be paying import tax, I just don't see how Hong Kong & China are valid when the Big Show goes down in the UK and shipping goes from there. Now if you are shipping into Hong Kong from the UK, what does the HKTDC think about competition?

I was attempting to contribute to the discussion by providing a link to a reputable company stating that there's no import duty on personal computers entering the US. The only thing Hong Kong had to do with my post was that the reputable company in question happens to be a Chinese company.

Your post was odd because it made absolutely no sense with regards to what I wrote or the context of this thread.

Import laws can differ from one country of origin to the next. It's safe to say that the laws for importing something to the US from Hong Kong may be different from the ones governing imports from the UK.

It is worth noting that the information from the Hong Kong based site also ties up with the information from the US government, as noted in posts 22 and 23 of this thread, though. :p

As far as I can see, it's the information that's relevant, not the fact that the site it's being mentioned on happens to be based in Hong Kong. :p

Poem58 said:
Gruso, Monk, Wermy thank you. I'm sorry, I'm just a little stressed.

I know exactly how you feel, no worries mate. It's not "just" an issue for the US either - pretty much every non-European country has the POTENTIAL for customs cock-ups :(

Poem58 said:
It now seems likely there won't be a customs fee. That wasn't so hard. I wonder why that wasn't as likely a year ago, I think the whole Texas assembly idea stopped it bofre the right info came to light. unless I see otherwise, I'm going to assume it's Ok then and happily go back to waiting for my Panda. Thanks guys.

That seems like the most sensible plan to me. I think "there should be no charge" came out several times, but the nature of forums then immediately threw up contrary opinion ;)

WizardStan said:
I'm trying to picture a 10 kilo netbook.

Be careful not to strain yourself!

fiori_musicali said:
Let's get ready for this. Now is the time.

Somebody needs to logisticize stuff like trucks for transporting the parts to Craig's garage assembly line and arranging flight tickets and configuring EvilDragon's alarm clock. I mean, somebody with a knack for it. The actual trip to UK to assemble the Pandoras will develop into a Guy Ritchie movie plot where everything is so complex and intertwined that the Pandoras are only likely to disassemble even further, or the completed units end up in the van of some slick criminal who's never heard from again. With forgiving music in the background. EvilDragon's luggage is certain to get lost in transit, probably accidentally sent to Bermuda or Atlantis, and his passport gets stolen. The OP team could go for a drinking spree and play some Mario Kart that turns into a fight, in the end Craig proceeds to collect everyone's order number. EvilDragon ends up as a hobo in a foreign country. Powered by Craig's optimism, estimates are pushed forward the standard quantity.

I mean... It's just assembly. Right? What could possibly go wrong?

This sounds like a script for a awesome adventure game.
Needs some salt throwing in the game to for all the remarks and dates you need to take with a grain off salt.
Having said that now i understand why they had a salt shortage this winter in the UK.

If the community or developers sponsor me a plane ticket, I'll come help for a full week free of charge. Seriously.

Also, to me it sounds rather exciting to have all units build by the developers them selfs. These will be one-of-a-kind handcrafted items.

Wootson said:
If the community or developers sponsor me a plane ticket, I'll come help for a full week free of charge. Seriously.

Also, to me it sounds rather exciting to have all units build by the developers them selfs. These will be one-of-a-kind handcrafted items.
How close do you live? I'd chip in $10 to this. [edit] probably [/edit]

rabidpoobear said:
Wootson said:

How close do you live? I'd chip in $10 to this. [edit] probably [/edit]

The Netherlands.

Hi,

@ Open Pandora Team: when did you learn about the high price asked for assembly, and when did you decide to do it yourselves ?

I mean, is it something really new, or is it some Craig's "clever marketing" ?

It's hard to believe that until now you didn't know about the assembly cost...

Bye, Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
Hi,

@ Open Pandora Team: when did you learn about the high price asked for assembly, and when did you decide to do it yourselves ?

I mean, is it something really new, or is it some Craig's "clever marketing" ?

It's hard to believe that until now you didn't know about the assembly cost...

Bye, Magic Sam

Stop imagining crazy conspiracies.

Hi Craig !
craigix said:
Please answer my question then ;) When did you learn about the high assembly price ?
Bye and thanks, Magic Sam

EDIT: thanks Gruso for the link, I've read that post before posting but I think I don't really understand the meaning of "quote" in this context...

Magic Sam said:
Hi Craig !
craigix said:
Please answer my question then ;) When did you learn about the high assembly price ?
Bye and thanks, Magic Sam
did you miss the post right above you? ED explained it already pages ago.

Mjlink said:
Poem58 said:
Tokiopop said:
Poem58 said:
there's nothing wrong with my English, so whatever. None of us here are trying to impress an English teacher or get an "A" on our essay.
No but we do like to be easily able to read long posts :p

No offence.

OK. Sorry, but fair is fair. Do you mean:

No, but we do like to be easily able to read long posts. :p

No offense.

:p
I find you a tough read bro. Just being honest here, I skip your posts, lack structure, transition, etc.

Not trying to be a dick.

Peace & Mango,

Link

EDIT: On topic: I've imported a lot of $300-$500 Minidisc recorders from Japan and never had any customs issues. I've also shipped in excess of $10,000 of mindisc recorders overseas or to Canada and never had any complaints through Ebay. Most transactions were under $300, no complaints from my customers.

That's cool. I've been told being on 90mg of Oxycodone and 90mg of Morphine a day plus other crap, it's rather amazing I'm coherent at all. Never felt like that made me less allowed to ask questions or continue to want to have a feeling of normalcy. guess I have to remember that on the internet people have a tendency not to care what might be wrong physically or anything with people. hell I have seen people bash people with mental retardation issues, only because they never took the time to think that if someone can have a sensible thought but has issues getting it out, it may be because they have a problem they must just be lazy. It's like everyone thinks to do or say anything you have to be a GD English major (or even know English at all, which is why I applaud those who try even though they can't do it well at times). what do you all think that if someone has issues typing, spelling or structuring sentences it's just that are stupid or just don't try or something, please help me understand? I didn't go to college, have some issues and bad equipment. Not much of an excuse but I am what I am. Pretty damn insulting to have to explain that all the time. And I consider myself lucky, I feel for those who have worse issues than me, no wonder some people are afraid to leave their homes. People constantly have to pick on your faults even if you are on the internet. it's nothing personal to you either, just a damn shame people have to pick out your faults all the time like they themselves are perfect in every way. I've looked over many of my posts for the last year, not seeing what's so hard to follow. Oh, I see my paragraphs were a bit unbalanced as I edited in things. What's my frickin' order number?

Vorporeal, thanks for that, but as I said I do the best I can. It's kind of hard sometimes to come back and read a question you asked and you don't even know what you wrote. Which I have done, however I haven't said anything unintelligible just maybe bad formatting, but again, didn't know I was being graded. :p Maybe I really should quit. Cause I can't be what I am not and don't really want to spend the rest of my days explaining away why my formatting is off.It's embarrassing enough in the real world to deal with these issues life has hit me with. If I have to go through this online all the time from now on, I really won't have anything to do, and what's the point then?

the problem with playing the worlds smallest violin, is that i can never find it when i need it! :lol:

edit - i do mean this in jest, if thats not clear... we all have problems man. you shouldn't feel you need to share them

Magic Sam said:
EDIT: thanks Gruso for the link, I've read that post before posting but I think I don't really understand the meaning of "quote" in this context...
Quote means 'offer' in this case. ED is German, so that might explain why he uses this word in this context, as Quote exists as a German word too, meaning the same thing.

@Poem
I know what you mean and it makes me sad, too. The problem is partly on both sides, as every insult on the internet shouldn't be taken too serious in the first place. Internet communication can be rather frustrating at times.

I'll happily rip hearts out if someone really turns out to be an ass, intentionally.

RenegadeChic said:
the problem with playing the worlds smallest violin, is that i can never find it when i need it! :lol:

I can only assume this is targeted at me.

Mali, you are right, but you know there are times after so much has gone on in your life that you just can't take it anymore.
It frustrates you that people can be this cold. Then if something happens to them in life, they don't understand why people are so cold to them. Goes around and comes around I guess.

back to topic:
You know where you can put that violin.

@Poem: Sorry again. I try to be very understanding about these things - many people on these forums don't speak English as a primary language, and many barely speak it at all. For those who truly lack the knowledge of the language or ability to express themselves, I understand. I just feel to an extent that if someone can spend an extra 2-3 minutes making their posts a bit more readable (spacing, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc), that saves a hundred or so people 2-3 minutes reading that post. I see it, in a way, as a courtesy to others - I try to make my posts as clear and readable as possible so that other people don't have to waste time figuring out what I meant to say *coughcraigcough*. Pressing enter every 4 sentences or so is quite easy and does WONDERS for making posts easier to read. (Again, no hard feelings or criticisms, just comments and an attempt to illustrate my own sentiments on the issue.)

Poem58 said:
back to topic:
You know where you can put that violin.
:) i think it was there already. i hope you read my edit above ^^

Back