Stylus Questions

Chip said:
It's plastic. Replacements will be available to order.
What happened to/was the point of the poll? I could have sworn "metal but idelaly black metal" was the clear winner among voters :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Eniko said:
I really shouldn't be surprised that people patent making a pen-shaped plastic object in a certain specific shape, but yet I am. Guess I'm not cynical enough yet.
I just went to an electronicsstore lately and found out that sony patented the button symbols.
If you look at ps-controller-clones you will see that they eather have disrupted lines on the triangle & stuff or just numbers. -> crazy

Eniko said:
I really shouldn't be surprised that people patent making a pen-shaped plastic object in a certain specific shape, but yet I am. Guess I'm not cynical enough yet.

It's not just that you're surprised, it's that you care. When you see companies pull enough of this that you honestly just don't care what they do, then you'll be cynical enough.

peca said:
My opinion is that it looks big enough. Looks nearly same long as Pandora wide and acceptable thickness. I order or make metal one anyway.

My opinion is that MWeston has really big hands.

Gruso said:
The poll was started by a forum member, not a dev team member. No one ever said it would be made according to the poll results.
Indeed - for some reason I thought that the post that prompted the poll was made by a dev - my mistake. It would be a LOT easier if we could instantly see who was OpenPandora and who was not via a "uniform" avatar.

WizardStan said:
My opinion is that MWeston has really big hands.
I don't think so, because:
Chip said:
Dimensions are 100mm long by 5mm diameter.
and if I measure my finger in the position he's holding the stylus I come to aprox. 80mm the tip sticks out a bit so let's say that's the missing 20mm. -> he doesn't have big hands but the pandora is damn! small. (or ofcourse I've got big hands too :D )

Chip said:
fusion_power said:
how long will be the final Pandora Stylus?

OK, I took my Loox N560 (metal with plastic tip and top (I mean opposite side against tip - Sorry, I don't know how name it right in English :/ ), stylus and measure it :
  • diameter: 3 or 3.5 mm (I have plastic ruller only)
  • long: 105 mm
My personal experience that it is:
  • tiny, should be thicker
  • short, should by longer
  • usable, but not very comfortable
I don't know, if there is something, that block longer stylus. If not, then it can be almost 140 mm long (as Pandora width). Hole for it can be symmetrical through Pandora's body allowing left handed users inserting from left side :) Yes, I know that design is done and case go to manufacturing. Take this as my advice for future batch and modders :) I'll be satisfied by arriving Pandora itself, stylus is just bonus.
/ Maybe time to buy ballpen combined with stylus.

EDIT: I just measure some ballpen refill that has size that I feel like comfortable dimensions stylus and it is 115 mm long and 5 or 5.5 mm diameter. So if it is possible I'll drill or cut deeper hole and make little longer stylus as Pandora mod. Or maybe not, as I'm lazy man ;-)

Chip said:
fusion_power said:
how long will be the final Pandora Stylus?
That seems just right. I'm glad it's not the same thickness of a needle like some PDA styli have. Should minimize cramping. B)

peca said:
I don't know, if there is something, that block longer stylus. If not, then it can be almost 140 mm long (as Pandora width). Hole for it can be symmetrical through Pandora's body allowing left handed users inserting from left side :)
The stylus has to stop before it slams into the volume wheel headphone jack. :) Oops, it's over top of the volume wheel.

MWeston said:
peca said:
I don't know, if there is something, that block longer stylus. If not, then it can be almost 140 mm long (as Pandora width). Hole for it can be symmetrical through Pandora's body allowing left handed users inserting from left side :)
The stylus has to stop before it slams into the volume wheel headphone jack. :) Oops, it's over top of the volume wheel.

This is a job for Super-Telescope-Stylus! :D

Well, 10cm is really short for my hands but I think the Stylus will be the last ting I'm worry about. As long the tip of the Stylus doesn't scratch the screen and brings a little bit of friction so a natural drawing/writing feeling is given, I'm fine. :)

The most comfortable stylus I've used is a "Sculpted Stylus" that was made as an aftermarket one for my Tapwave Zodiac. It is 5mm diameter and 108mm long.

Who knows. If/when the Pandora takes off and sells 200K+ units, someone might make an aftermarket stainless steel one for it too.

Xmoon said:
No standard size for stylus?

There is no such thing as a standard size for a stylus. As chip said, all companies (Nintendo, Palm, etc...) make a proprietary stylus and then patent it to prevent cheap knock offs.
This actually explains to me why I've never seen a "DS replacement stylus" that actually fit in the hole for it.

my father's old Palm V has a really nice stylus, I think I'll get one of these or steal it

I don't think any Pandora-style stylus can be patented (or the DS stylus, for that matter, unless it has some characteristics I haven't seen). You can't patent something that's not any kind of innovation, so unless the stylus has electronics in it (like a digitizer pen, maybe) or some other new invention (the stylus-with-screwdriver may qualify, but I doubt it, since it probably wouldn't pass the obviousness requirements, although maybe I'm overestimating the intelligence of the patent workers here). I suppose a specific design could be copyrighted, but even then it would be a pretty weak copyright, because the strength of a copyright is contingent upon the creativity of a work.

However, it appears I could be wrong: is this a patent for the DS stylus? How is it possible to patent an "ornamental design?" I don't understand how this could meet any standard of novelty and non-obviousness that patents are supposed to be held to.

If you can create a new patentable object just by changing ornamentation, the system is even more broken than I thought.

Tom` said:
How is it possible to patent an "ornamental design?" I don't understand how this could meet any standard of novelty and non-obviousness that patents are supposed to be held to.

Answer: patent law is very, very broken.

If you can create a new patentable object just by changing ornamentation, the system is even more broken than I thought.

Take how broken you thought it was, add in how broken you now think it is, double that, and you're approaching something that would register on the same scale of how broken the patent system really is.

This is not patent in invent meaning, but in industrial design meaning. everybody can made stylus, but nobody just the same one, as Nintendo DS stylus. But I guess that if someone make replacement that just fit into NDS, but look differently - has specific shape, it will be OK.

EDIT: So this issues are about design, not about invention. It is aimed against copying designs and profiting from someone other creativity.

peca said:
This is not patent in invent meaning, but in industrial design meaning. everybody can made stylus, but nobody just the same one, as Nintendo DS stylus. But I guess that if someone make replacement that just fit into NDS, but look differently - has specific shape, it will be OK.

EDIT: So this issues are about design, not about invention. It is aimed against copying designs and profiting from someone other creativity.
Yeah, but patents ARE about invention, we have other laws that apply to design. Patent law is about invention, and trying to make it apply to design is an abuse of the system.

Tom` said:
peca said:
So this issues are about design, not about invention. It is aimed against copying designs and profiting from someone other creativity.
Yeah, but patents ARE about invention, we have other laws that apply to design. Patent law is about invention, and trying to make it apply to design is an abuse of the system.

In my country we have "patents" (the same word in Czech as in English) and "industrial design" ("průmyslový vzor" in Czech) which I found translated as "patent" to English too. So I guess that (maybe US) English doesn't differ between patent and industrial design.

You are right! If I think about patent I mean something very special, not yet invented. Not just about some special pattern. :-/

Back