Stylus

peca

Website
Visit site
I'm curious about stylus characteristics.

As MWeston mentioned, it'll be about 100 mm length.

MWeston said:
The stylus is intended to be stored by coming in the side of the unit and running across the length over top of the two SD cards, ending before it runs into the headphone jack. I think I mentioned before that was something like 100mm of length, give or take a bit.
So what about used material, thickness, weight... I prefer heavy metal (not music genre :) styluses, with plastic tip. It may be telescopic for better length or solid for better weight. Also thicker is better and detachable cover with screwdriver or reset pin (oh, is there some reset button in a hole? may be not, as there's no MSWindows :).

So my opinion is Thick solid metal stylus only with plastic tip. Question (for designers team) is, what kind of stylus will be used?

Last edited by a moderator:
peca said:
(oh, is there some reset button in a hole? may be not, as there's no MSWindows :).
It's called turning it off and on again. :p

My main concern is that the stylus doesn't fall out after being put in/out a lot. My nintendo DSLite stylus falls out all the time now and I don't even use my DS much.

Zarneth said:
peca said:
(oh, is there some reset button in a hole? may be not, as there's no MSWindows :).
It's called turning it off and on again. :p

My main concern is that the stylus doesn't fall out after being put in/out a lot. My nintendo DSLite stylus falls out all the time now and I don't even use my DS much.
Sticky back plastic is your friend (aka Sellotape®).

Just roll some tape around the end (opposite end of the tip) a few times
to make the stylus thicker, should stop the stylus falling out.

Ghetto, But good. :p

EDIT: GranMa.

Trooper

Considering most of the budget is being spent on the device itself, I'd say it'll most likely be a plastic stylus with a metal one as an optional extra at a later date.

You can always buy a better stylus separately if it's such a big concern, can't you (I figure if you're really nit-picky about a good quality stylus, you'd already have your own you bought by itself, or at least have access to better styli)?

Does it really matter? I remember using a small twig with a piece of kleenex on the end with my DS until I got a new one. As long as it doesn't damage the screen it shouldn't matter.

PlopperZ said:
Does it really matter? I remember using a small twig with a piece of kleenex on the end with my DS until I got a new one. As long as it doesn't damage the screen it shouldn't matter.
Yeah!, But was it a quality twig, Made of solid english oak ?, Oh, And you should have used Andrex tissue, Much better quality paper, Stronger, And softer to the touch.

And better for wiping your ar.... Screen with. :p

Trooper

Since I hate styluses I hope all the software will also work via touch and this is something I'll be encouraging as much as possible :)

Miyamoto once stated he likes to use a Qtip for Warioware on DS. :lol:

Yrx said:
Miyamoto once stated he likes to use a Qtip for Warioware on DS. :lol:
Aah! a Qtip! Could've saved a number of scratches on the screen by using one of those. :(

At linuxworld last year I picked up this cool pen with three colors of ink and a fourth one that has a stylus as a tip. Kind of fat with a rubber titty grip on the barrel, very nice. Fun to click on the stylus and hand to people when they ask for a pen too.

Sphinxter said:
At linuxworld last year I picked up this cool pen with three colors of ink and a fourth one that has a stylus as a tip. Kind of fat with a rubber titty grip on the barrel, very nice. Fun to click on the stylus and hand to people when they ask for a pen too.
I had something like that for my palm. It had a pen on one side and a stylus in the other. When I got it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

PlopperZ said:
I had something like that for my palm. It had a pen on one side and a stylus in the other. When I got it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Until you used the wrong end, and got ink over your touch screen? ;)

craigix said:
Since I hate styluses I hope all the software will also work via touch and this is something I'll be encouraging as much as possible :)
That's a good way to sell screen cleaners :D

I have some "Metal Styli", but I much prefer using the end of a finger nail. Can be kinda trigger if things get too small however.

craigix said:
Because nobody wants Fingerprints onto the Screen, you should include one of these little "Thumb nubs" from the NDS. I hope, the Pandora will have a wrist strap so this plastic nub could be attached to it like Nintendo did. :) If a Game needs action conrols onto the Touchscreen ( in vertical mode?) such a finger-thing is also very useful.

will there BTW be screen protectors for it, 2 prevent scratches?

DTH said:
Probably, if not they'd be pretty easy to make, by trimming one made for something with a larger screen.

DTH said:
There are lots of 4.3" screen protectors around; if you can't get one from the makers of pandora, you'll still be able to find one that fits. Just do a google search.

Back