SuperZaxxon v1.73 - maintenance release

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
So we had a few useful fixes that were not yet released, so I thought I'd do another SuperZaxxon update.

Release highlights:

• Support for larger than 2GB PNDs.
  • Some u-boot (bootloader) fixes to improve SD card compatibility. Useful for future reflashes, running OS from SD or custom OSes.
  • The usual stable 3.2 kernel update (up to 3.2.74 now).
  • Enabled more stuff in the kernel (JFS filesystem, more HID drivers, ch9x00 USB wifi driver).
  • Updated packages: util-linux, bluez, parted, dosfstools, freetype.
  • Some PND system fixes (problems after running GINGE; not unmounting PNDs)

It shouldn't be hard to guess who has hit the 2GB limit. Can't stop our man without limits with a silly limit like that.

Packages were updated because some people asked. It's mostly tools and should be safe (not break any PNDs).

The u-boot fixes require to use the flasher. If you want the u-boot update but don't want to wipe your system, you can prepare the SD card like you would for a reflash, only leave rootfs.img and rootfs.md5 files out. It will then reflash u-boot but leave your rootfs intact. Note: this will also update the kernel, so you should run "upgrade OS" before updating the bootloader to get the kernel modules.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):
Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS" option

Please note:
  • If you are updating from v1.61 or lower, it is highly recommended to do a full reflash because many system libraries have been changed in 1.70 and some users reported failures updating from v1.61 or earlier. Updating from 1.70 should be completely safe.
  • Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
  • User-Modified configs will not be overwritten with the new version.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.73

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

Please note: When reflashing from v1.72 or earlier, some SD cards might not be detected ("Boot from SD1" will not appear). You will need to find another SD card, usually older ones work.

Last edited:
Haha!  We can't stop ptitSeb going out of bound, but we can't stop you for improving our Pandoras either!  Thank you and we love you notaz! :)

I've got some 4GB DBPs ;)  Updates are always nice though! 

Cheers as usual notaz!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm upgrading from 1.72 plus a few incremental fixes, presumably it's still worth reflashing assuming you're not able to reflash the bootloader via an OS update, right?  Although I've never had a problem with the unit not recognising my Sandisc cards, so perhaps I'll just do an incremental update again for now.

If I upgrade my OS, will it remove samba again?

If I'm upgrading from 1.72 plus a few incremental fixes, presumably it's still worth reflashing assuming you're not able to reflash the bootloader via an OS update, right?  Although I've never had a problem with the unit not recognising my Sandisc cards, so perhaps I'll just do an incremental update again for now.

The first post has instructions how to update the bootloader without wiping the rootfs.

If I upgrade my OS, will it remove samba again?

The incremental update shouldn't do it.

Thanks Notaz, just wondering why the SD cards no longer use their names just mmcblk0 and mmcblk1 now (no real issues there, just was easier to tell which was which in GINGE :p  and when manually traversing dirs in terminal)

Thanks Notaz, just wondering why the SD cards no longer use their names just mmcblk0 and mmcblk1 now (no real issues there, just was easier to tell which was which in GINGE :p  and when manually traversing dirs in terminal)

That's not supposed to happen. Try rebooting, if that doesn't help, something went wrong with your update.

I did a fresh flash on the device and found two problems:

When i tried to Upgrade OS:

update-alternatives: Error: not linking //etc/default/mountall to mountall.busybox since //etc/default/mountall exists and is not a link
Configuring busybox-mountall.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "busybox-mountall" postinst script returned status 1.
 * opkg_configure: busybox-mountall.postinst returned 1.

Deleting mountall file solved the problem.

Then i had the same problem as Hooka.

I did umount the SD, and mmcblk0p1 folder was still there, so i deleted it, mounted again, and now the folder has the correct name.

I got quite a few of those error: not linking ones, they whipped by pretty fast but looked like they were all busybox related. If the upgrade saves a log somewhere let me know and I'll check it out or fire it your way notaz...

The sd's show their names on the desktop it's just the /media/mmcblk0 instead of say /media/PWNDRADEV or whatever...

Back