Release SuperZaxxon v1.76

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Previous release has some known bugs, so I've simply fired a new build with what we have now. I've been meaning to do that since months ago, but it either was slipping away because of other things in life or I simply had no energy left to do anything after work.

Changelog (since SZ 1.75):
  • kernel: updated to latest stable 3.2.84 (includes dirtycow fix)
  • kernel: fixed off mode related display corruption (loss of gamma) when custom gamma setting is used
  • kernel: /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_*/charge_current is now expressed in uA (Grond)
  • kernel: added end_of_charge_current to control end of charge (Grond)
  • kernel: reduced USB charge current to ~530mA, older value was too high for some hosts and would trigger host overcurrent protection
  • kernel: added mt7610u wifi driver
  • kernel: enabled options needed by Docker (see here for more info)
  • links: updated to 2.13
Special thanks to Grond who contributed some kernel charging related patches incorporated in this release. His changes are aimed at people who run custom OS without charge monitoring daemon from default OS and provide better default charging chip config.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):
Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS" option

Please note:
  • If you are updating from v1.61 or lower, it is highly recommended to do a full reflash because many system libraries have been changed in 1.70 and some users reported failures updating from v1.61 or earlier. Updating from 1.70 should be completely safe.
  • Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
  • User-Modified configs will not be overwritten with the new version.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon v1.76

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

Please note: When reflashing from v1.72 or earlier, some SD cards might not be detected ("Boot from SD1" will not appear). You will need to find another SD card, usually older ones work.

Thanks only such long term support makes the pandora still great.

Large businesses could certainly learn a thing or two about customer service from you guys.

We have a media player that is only just out of warranty and already updates have ceased as a newer model has been released (even though users are still reporting issues on the official forum)

The support shown here more than makes me confident in purchasing a Pyra, others that think the Pyra is expensive should take note.

In the years I've owned a Pandora I could have spent many times that on devices that have come and gone.

My Pandora still keeps running my favourite emulators/games and is still getting updates.

awesome! thanks notaz!
longtime support at it's best, i just *love* this community!!

this release may finally solve my issues i had when using an pc usb-port as power-source, yay! :)
also having the charger-chip not overcharge the battery when using an custom os without running the power-daemon is superneat! thanks grond for the patches!

so whats a good way to get a small debian with this new kernel up and running?
maybe the power-chip patches apply to the newer kernels hns uses for the pyra os development too?

I've just upgraded to this, and the upgrade went well. I've not really tested it yet as I'm in the middle of listening to a radio programme, and I don't quite trust deadbeef to remember where playback has got to after a reload, so I'll be rebooting once I've listened to that. But plain sailing so far, thanks to everyone involved!

Thanks Notaz, my Pandora wouldn't be the same without your updates, very much appreciated.
Great example of how a products life is influenced by the support that is given.

Large businesses could certainly learn a thing or two about customer service from you guys.
Well, don't make a big deal out of it, if you look at the changelog there's nothing substantial in there for a span of 7 months (or so). There is also no company involved, there were never any work or financial relations between me and OP (except some free hardware), it's pretty much my personal project now. OTOH OpenPandora GmbH is a "company" of a one-man-army ED who will still do full support in case your hardware breaks (sometimes even fro free) which is something to be admired more than me firing an aging OS build twice a year with an odd fix or a few.

Thanks notaz!

I have yet to try this new release but some days ago was experimenting with the possibility to use the new 'links browser' released to see .html pages locally inside the sdcard.
I have reached my goal now but unfortunately i forgot how i changed (blame on me...:() .
So now i have the possibility to open an html file inside an SDCard and read the content with displaying correctly also the images (that is great)...the only change that i remember is
changing default web browser in XFCE menu:
I just edited /usr/share/applications/WebBrowser file (real name is xfce4-web-browser.desktop) changing the Exec line
so
Exec=links -g %u

and also changed the default preferred application for viewing html files (go to Setting/Desktop/Xfce 4 Settings Manager/Preferred Applications) and change
under the first Tab (internet) the default "Debian Sensible Browser" and select "other"
inside the box that is opened insert this:
/usr/bin/links "%s"

And now you should be able to open html files with links.

If someone else could test this...as i said maybe i forgot some passage.

Thanks

When this is confirmed working would be good to integrate in new release..;)

I guess I missed this. I will go update now. Thanks for the continued support.

Well, don't make a big deal out of it, if you look at the changelog there's nothing substantial in there for a span of 7 months (or so). There is also no company involved, there were never any work or financial relations between me and OP (except some free hardware), it's pretty much my personal project now. OTOH OpenPandora GmbH is a "company" of a one-man-army ED who will still do full support in case your hardware breaks (sometimes even fro free) which is something to be admired more than me firing an aging OS build twice a year with an odd fix or a few.

Well, but there is also this part which I (and probably most here) understand very well:

... I've been meaning to do that since months ago, but it either was slipping away because of other things in life or I simply had no energy left to do anything after work.

It has been quite a humbling experience to see you contributing to various projects despite that. Quite literally all projects I have an occasional eye on are graced that way, and that most probably means there are a lot more. You deserve the utmost respect!

Reactions: rSl
Awesome! That custom gamma fix is a nice surprise. Thank you, notaz and Grond.

just did a fullflash, runs smoothly -> thanks again! :)

• kernel: reduced USB charge current to ~530mA, older value was too high for some hosts and would trigger host overcurrent protection
It may be, that this fix solved some of my usb charging options. At least I can charge over usb again after a long period! So, thanks, notaz. :)

Reactions: rSl
The charge current may be tuned too, you can try (as root)
Code:
echo 500000 > /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/charge_current
to reduce it further to 500mA in case there are still problems.
Same can be done with the charger port (.../twl4030_ac/charge_current).

Reactions: Ziz
Back