Surely The Case Moulds Should Be Done By Now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need pix, we just need an "moulds are done" statement of craigix or another OP team member. And I haven't read such a statement and there is not such an info onto the officiall to-do-list so I'm 99% sure the moulds are NOT done yet and I'm 98% sure, the OP team itself doesn't know, when the moulds are done...
So nothing really has changed onto the good old "in two months" release-punch-line :D

Yea, I'm kind of surprised that we haven't had an update on this. Something simple would do, like this:

Current Status: not quite done yet
Reason: xyz
Estimate: don't want to estimate, but probably by the end of the week

emil10001 said:
Estimate: don't want to estimate, but probably by the end of the week
Estimate : I don't want to estimate. Here is an estimate.

Of course, as silly as that is ... It sounds about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nation.A.List said:
Monk said:
Good questions. Apparenlty the mould is being shaved.
I have cheese that makes a mould quicker than this Chinese factory

That cracked me up, nice way to start the morning :lol:

btw does dilbert work in china:

70675.strip.gif

I've lost count of how many threads that comic strip has appeared in now! Is it 3... or 4?

Pleng said:
I've lost count of how many threads that comic strip has appeared in now! Is it 3... or 4?

3 I think and you lose count at 3 already, you dont count that often do you ;)

I'm getting worried now. There hasn't been an explanations yet and I doubt it takes 2.5 months to make a case mould. Can anybody confirm the Chinese company is trustworthy?

Shaun. said:
I'm getting worried now. There hasn't been an explanations yet and I doubt it takes 2.5 months to make a case mould. Can anybody confirm the Chinese company is trustworthy?

An injection mould is a pretty difficult thing to make. There was an extensive thread about the process and it has a lot optimization to go through. So I dont think 2,5 month is much to long to make a proper injection mould that will last long enough for all next batches of pandora's. There is even a third party company involved so there also might be some travel back and forth between the 2nd and the 3rd party.

Shaun. said:
From what I can remember (and could be wrong) they've used them before and they also are the same company that produce the keymats I believe?
We have been kept informed, case more complicated than the company thought, Chinese holiday etc. But like everyone else I'm expecting a new update soon, now that they should be hopefully back to work and dealing with it again.

keep an eye on mwestons photobucket site

he tends to put things up there first

But he does tend to get the stuff shipped here there and everywhere - picking up from couriers directly

Personally wait till the start of next week, we may see a pandora in all its glory by then

well fingers crossed we will

Bosbeetle said:
Pleng said:

3 I think and you lose count at 3 already, you dont count that often do you ;)

:p I count fairly often. But not usually so relatively few items over the course of a number of days.

I don’t know why people are so worked up about the case when they just put in an order of the production of all 4000 boards. That is huge. Unless you are one of the first 105 or maybe in the first few hundred. The board production is the bottle neck or the limiting factor. I am told once the molds are done it only takes a few days for them to create the cases. I don’t understand why people are harping about the cases and overlooking the fact the production has started on the boards. I can’t speak for everyone but I am really excited.

aaronson911 said:
I don’t understand why people are harping about the cases and overlooking the fact the production has started on the boards. I can’t speak for everyone but I am really excited.
No one has overlooked it. Everyone is just as excited as you. But there's a different thread for discussing that. This thread is about the cases, so people are going to discuss the cases.

The cases are now the final puzzle piece. While production of the boards is in fact a monumental step forward, the cases are the more important because once the mould is complete and cases produced - we will finally see a finished, real, not vaporware, not prototype, and possibly MINE Pandora. Damn skippy I'm excited! My nipples explode with delight.

It would be a landmark event for somebody, ANYBODY, to receive a Pandora that they had ordered.

@aaron

Well the case is the last thing that is on OP's side of the fence that needs to be manufactured. We are already on V4 of the Pandora board. And that's good to go. The case is like the last mile. PSU's and other accessories can be made rather quickly.

So when we hear the case is "done", I know I will feel very relieved.

Mould making is an art, art will not be rushed, appreciate the craftsmanship. It's one of those things most complicated and difficult of all to design, it not only needs to form and withstand the injection but it needs to cleanly eject all those pieces and reset to do it again over and over without variation. The time requirement is even harder to estimate than program development, it will be done when it's ready and not a second sooner.

I've been trying to stay out of these speculation threads, because they seem to be a fount of misinformation, but it seems like a lot of people are neglecting the logistics of shipping the cases and finished Pandora handhelds when making their predictions. I would think that OpenPandora Ltd. would bulk ship thousands of cases at once, if not the entire lot of 10,000. This could be a few weeks depending on their method. Again with the assembled mass-production Pandoras, wouldn't the non-US orders be bulk shipped? I guess that would mean the first or last X number of production units would be packed into a shipping container and sent overseas, and the rest would be shipped directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back