Surely The Case Moulds Should Be Done By Now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least we are getting substantial updates two weeks in a row. On the third week (Early November) We can actually *see* a complete Pandora. Then if everything looks good, the cases get manufactured and sent to Texas. It's gonna be a tight fit to get Pandora out before 2010.

I do find the change from "worst case = October 20th" to "with any luck = October 25th" pretty amusing.

And to think it's been about a week or so since the Golden Week ended.
And to think that the moulds might have been finished before the Golden Week started.

I'm surprised craigix and the team still have any hair left to rip out :)

Thanks for the update mweston

Its the first time we hear some real inside info on the molding company :) Must be hard on you guys having to rely on factories and such. Also with the nub factory tits up etc. One tough rollercoaster you are on.

Good luck for the final straws :)

beanoman said:
Monk said:
Sphinxter said:
Mould making is an art, art will not be rushed, appreciate the craftsmanship. It's one of those things most complicated and difficult of all to design

craigix has (rather vehemently) informed us that the mould design

has been finished for months

The plastic piece that craigix and the OP team want to pop out of the mould has been finished for months, the actual mould has definitely not.

Can you please tell craigix? He's specifically said that the design for the mould was finished months ago. To me "finished" means it's stopped changing (though I suppose I could be alone there) and you can just "make the thing". Though personally I am more inclined to believe MWeston when he says that even now it still needs "some last stage tweaks involving the smooth operation of tooling parts and ejection pieces".

MWeston said:
I won't complain one bit about the extra 23 day delay if the parts come out perfect. <fingers crossed>

It's hard to disagree with that! The better the final Pandora is, the... errr.... well, the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
Can you please tell craigix? He's specifically said that the design for the mould was finished months ago. To me "finished" means it's stopped changing (though I suppose I could be alone there) and you can just "make the thing". Though personally I am more inclined to believe MWeston when he says that even now it still needs "some last stage tweaks involving the smooth operation of tooling parts and ejection pieces".

You seem to be getting confused about wording:

The DESIGN for the moulded plastic outer case was finished months ago - this is what Craigix is talking about and is done.

The ACTUAL physical production mould tool is being made now to the create plastic parts to the DESIGN that was finished months ago.

Have a look at this on wikipedia if you still don't understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding

So the design for the case has been done for ages, but now the Chinese plastic company is designing / machining the mold that will make the case, since injection molds are considerably more complex than just an inverse of whatever you're trying to make.

Sonict said:
Hmmmm... I have a feeling that it sounds like we won't have the final cases before the next "chinese holiday". According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_holidays , the "Chongyang Festival" starts on October 26th. I really hope this isn't the case. Hopefully, I am wrong...

I hope all goes well.

If you look at mweston's post he said it would be done on the 23rd, which is Friday, and shipped out to him on the 25th, which is a Sunday and if the 26th is a holiday, I would assume it would then ship on the 27th, and they should send it to him overnight delivery or it could get there at the beginning of November.

Once he has the case in hand he will have to then assemble it to make sure all the parts fit right. Then once they green light is given for mass production of all the cases, this will take place in the beginning of November. Then the cases will need to be shipped to Texas for mass production of the final pandora.

Right now with all the delays in the construction of the case, I do not see them being able to delivery in 2009, so there goes 2009 being the year of the pandora, this was mention on their old site.

carlgeorge said:
You seem to be getting confused about wording:

The DESIGN for the moulded plastic outer case was finished months ago - this is what Craigix is talking about and is done.

The ACTUAL physical production mould tool is being made now to the create plastic parts to the DESIGN that was finished months ago.

Have a look at this on wikipedia if you still don't understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding

May I refer you to the very page you refered me to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding#Mold_Design

Please look specifically at that section, entitled "Mold Design". It is to this - the mold design - that I refer to when I say "mold design" and it is in response to a comment that the "mold design" was still being tweaked to which craigix responded that it had been finished "months ago". Not the case. The mold design. The mold itself is not simply the opposite of the item you wish to create - it takes design effort to, well, design. Hence the term. But thank you for your concern that I might be getting confused by the terminology.

lulzfish said:
So the design for the case has been done for ages, but now the Chinese plastic company is designing / machining the mold that will make the case, since injection molds are considerably more complex than just an inverse of whatever you're trying to make.

Can I just thank you for knowing that? :D Many thanks indeed.

two things, MWes says they are going to be shipped monday the 25th....
The next time the 25th falls on a monday... is January 2010. I hope this is just due to screwy time zones and stuff, and I'm wrong.

MW said he would be getting some samples, is this so he can look them over and give the go-ahead for mass production?

Here's what I think is a reasonable timeline:

25 Oct-4 Nov: shipping samples(10 days)
4 Nov -6 Nov: giving go ahead for MP(assuming no problems)(2 days)
9 Nov-13 Nov: Case Mass Production(4 days)
16 Nov-27 Nov: case shipping(11 days)
30 Nov-11 Dec: Assembly and packaging(12 days) Boards should definitely be done by this time.
14 Dec-on: shipping

I thought I was pretty liberal with time allotment, this is assuming no work done on weekends
Can anyone see gaping holes in this timeline?

El Jefe said:
two things, MWes says they are going to be shipped monday the 25th....
The next time the 25th falls on a monday... is January 2010. I hope this is just due to screwy time zones and stuff, and I'm wrong.

MW said he would be getting some samples, is this so he can look them over and give the go-ahead for mass production?

Here's what I think is a reasonable timeline:

25 Oct-4 Nov: shipping samples(10 days)
4 Nov -6 Nov: giving go ahead for MP(assuming no problems)(2 days)
9 Nov-13 Nov: Case Mass Production(4 days)
16 Nov-27 Nov: case shipping(11 days)
30 Nov-11 Dec: Assembly and packaging(12 days) Boards should definitely be done by this time.
14 Dec-on: shipping

I thought I was pretty liberal with time allotment, this is assuming no work done on weekends
Can anyone see gaping holes in this timeline?

Let's hope it goes that way, Mweston stated yesterday that mould would be done by 23 october at the latest. MP of cases is done in 1 day + shipping time(of all components all over the world)+MP of the boards+ Assembly and packaging... If no problems come with the moulds or MP then december will be the final date , so confirmed: we will have our pandora's in 17 december ( just in two more months :p )

Monk said:
But thank you for your concern that I might be getting confused by the terminology.

As far as I recall, craigix has only said the case design was finished. I don't think he ever said the mould design was. Your quote appears to be taken out of context, what was the rest of the sentence there?

Perhaps this exchange right here is what is causing the confusion :

[quote name="Monk" color="#FF0000"]Really? When did that happen? the last I heard the mold design was still being "tweaked" (code for "not finished yet")[/quote]
Craigix said:
The last you heard? From who? Your gay lover?

The design has been finished for months.

Classy.

wait wait wait, so...

the MOLD design is also finished, and this whole time China has been doing what? Milling the mold itself?
You know what, nevermind. Tell when it's ready. Fuck details.

Well we know the case design is long finished. They couldn't have started the moulds without the design being complete. As far as I see it, mould creation is not a design process but a construction process, whereby they make a mould to match the case design. The design which is complete.

But yeah, we could debate semantics until the dead horse is flogged back to life. +1 on "tell us when it's ready" and not obsessing over it in the meantime.

Gruso said:
Well we know the case design is long finished. They couldn't have started the moulds without the design being complete. As far as I see it, mould creation is not a design process but a construction process, whereby they make a mould to match the case design. The design which is complete
There is a certain amount of design that goes into the making of the mold. They have to decide how to assemble a mold, they have to decide where to put the holes to do the actual injecting, etc. There is an art to making a mold that can work reliably with a minimum of fiddling. It's not a purely mechanical process of taking the part and turning it inside-out. Remember, we're talking about complex shapes here, not spheres and cubes.

If you make one mold, and discover that it leaves a bubble in your part, you're going to make a new one that works differently. I would call that a design process.

You may be right, but it's still a semantic debate based on a couple of hasty and ambiguous comments in an exchange that hasn't had a bridge built over it yet.

So there.

It's just a means to justify a point which carries no weight. People hear what they want to hear, and pass off that self understood information as an ambiguous piece of misinformation coming from a source even when it is clear that there are others, on the same level of "receiving said information" as the plaintiffs who are on the same page as the source. Semantics is the correct word for that, so lets move on.

It's good to discuss what's going on, we get that there are quite a few people who don't understand. I'm not trying to attack anyone there is allot of weight as to what some of you are saying, however the tonality and consistency of what's being said over several threads from the same people are borderline trolling.

This is a team effort, even though Craigix carries a great deal of the weight, there are plenty of others on the team who you can put your trust into for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back