Release Temper (Split from other thread)

*Picks chin up from floor*

I'm dumbfounded by silence, as we say.

I didn't want to do zip support because bz2 is usually superior, but I guess I'll think about it. I can't help you with your encodings if I don't know what they are, but there's no way I'm adding mp3 support.

That's OK, MP3 support's not what I'm asking for. As for compressed games, I see no reason why not to add both. For the encoding, lemme give you one of the tracks to Fantasy Star Soldier, converted to OGG (as is the music for all my other ISOs) as per this tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't give me an OGG, tell me what the whole thing looks like. A good start would be a directory listing and the contents of the .cue file.

And yes, I'm sure you see no reason not to add both, because that doesn't represent work on your part..

You know what, you're right. I'm sorry for making such a selfish assumption, then. Here's a screenshot of what I've got;

A5O9G.png

And here's my .cue file;

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-01.OGG" OGG

TRACK 01 AUDIO

INDEX 01 00:00:00

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-02.iso" BINARY

TRACK 02 MODE1/2048

PREGAP 00:03:00

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-03.OGG" OGG

TRACK 03 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-04.OGG" OGG

TRACK 04 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-05.OGG" OGG

TRACK 05 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-06.OGG" OGG

TRACK 06 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-07.OGG" OGG

TRACK 07 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-08.OGG" OGG

TRACK 08 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-09.OGG" OGG

TRACK 09 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-10.OGG" OGG

TRACK 10 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-11.OGG" OGG

TRACK 11 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-12.OGG" OGG

TRACK 12 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-13.OGG" OGG

TRACK 13 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-14.OGG" OGG

TRACK 14 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-15.OGG" OGG

TRACK 15 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-16.OGG" OGG

TRACK 16 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-17.OGG" OGG

TRACK 17 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-18.OGG" OGG

TRACK 18 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-19.OGG" OGG

TRACK 19 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-20.OGG" OGG

TRACK 20 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-21.OGG" OGG

TRACK 21 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-22.OGG" OGG

TRACK 22 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-23.OGG" OGG

TRACK 23 AUDIO

FILE "Fantasy Star Soldier (U)-24.iso" BINARY

TRACK 24 MODE1/2048

PREGAP 00:03:00

This works perfectly in Mednafen, but not in Temper. If I recall, when I opened it, the emulator not only crashed, but left a black square on the screen (an imprint of the screen at crash-time, I recall. One of SDL's quirks, I think.) And I can't test any further changes you make for some time, as I RMA'd my Pandora today.

Crap, I forgot entirely about them! Thanks for reminding me. Only wish I'd thought of that yesterday. :/

The syscards go in a syscards directory inside appdata/Temper/, correct?

This is, as expected, excellent. I've been playing a few select ones - R-type, Fantasy zone, Ai cho Aniki, Chew-Man-Fu - and it worked excellent. I did get a few crashes (Temper crashes, leaves its display in front of the xfcd desktop making everything very difficult) from Parasol Stars, but I haven't found a reliable way to replicate it, so it's just a note.

I need to read up on the TG16/PCengine, though. I have no idea what the different console modes are, really (SuperGrafx? CDrom2 v3? Game disc?) or what games belong in what category. Am I right in assuming that "superGrafx" games would behave as normal on a unexpanded/stock TG16/PCE, but contains extra graphics data that gets used if the machine happens to be correctly expanded?

I really should have added something to the startup script to make it remove the fb1 stuff.. Weird that one game is crashing :/

You are correct, SuperGrafx was an updated version of the console that has improved graphics and more memory. To be specific, it basically takes the BG/sprite chip from the original and adds a second one, along with a priority decoder chip that picks from the two. So you go from having one real layer and 64 sprites to two real layers and 128 sprites. Unfortunately only 5 real games were made for it, and one game that works as a normal PC-Engine game and just utilizes SGX to reduce sprite flickering.

On the bright side, 4/5 of those games are worth playing, and I'd say two of them are pretty good (but really difficult)

Now I've tried both 1941 and Ghouls'n'Ghosts, and I'd say that the SuperGrafx compability is a) really good, and B) really worth it. Somewhat excellent games those, eh? :)

Parasol stars still seem to randomly crash. I seem to have, ehm...aquired...5-6 different dumps of that, and I haven't yet been systematic in checking if there is any apparent difference in their stability, but still. Is there any diagnostic I could usefully do to help?

The other thing that crashes is something along the lines of "5-in-one Nintendo compilation" or something, but since that, by the looks of it as far at it gets (a cruddy menu where you can select between Super Mario Bros, Iceclimber and 3 others), is a cruddy pirate hack, I'm not expecting more :) That one doesn't crash, per se - it just never goes into gameplay, but the emulator is still running.

That is todays report :D

PCE CD games unexpectly crash *whole* system [X11/LXDE] after load *.CUE [with ISO / WAV's ] into TEMPER.

Just a wee heads up. It's only by reading through the thread and piecing together clues that I was able to work out what the heck "Temper" is.. Might be an idea to edit the first post to explain what it is and what it does :)

PCE CD games unexpectly crash *whole* system [X11/LXDE] after load *.CUE [with ISO / WAV's ] into TEMPER.

That, I believe, is not unexpected, since the documentation specifically says that only bin/cue with oggs are supported ;)

That, I believe, is not unexpected, since the documentation specifically says that only bin/cue with oggs are supported ;)

*sigh*. I guess i never like to read manuals. My fault.. :/. Will try with OGG then..

Thanks for all your hard work on this Exophase.

We all appreciate it and we have great respect for ALL of your hard work.

It is guys like you that make this community special.

Thanks!

Actually it is supposed to support ISO/WAV. More stuff to test I guess! Maybe you can give me more info StreaK.

If Parasol Stars crashes and other things doesn't my best guess is that it does something video-wise that makes the new rendering code unhappy. I would say the best thing to do is savestate like crazy and if it crashes see if it's repeatable after loading the save state.

Back