Release Temper (Split from other thread)

Actually it is supposed to support ISO/WAV. More stuff to test I guess! Maybe you can give me more info StreaK.

If Parasol Stars crashes and other things doesn't my best guess is that it does something video-wise that makes the new rendering code unhappy. I would say the best thing to do is savestate like crazy and if it crashes see if it's repeatable after loading the save state.

Loading syscard [Turbografix CD Super System Card v3.0] and presing [start/Alt] or pressing [pandora button] crashes system [video?] somehow [big black vertical stripe]. Even hard reset [power off + pandora button] reveals that this stripe stays a little longer than expected.

I've had it crash a few times on me, usually when loading bin/cue cd images that are, for reasons beyond me, seemingly incompatible with Temper. It leaves a huge black area that takes up all but a centimeter on either side of the screen. I can then still use the mouse and the Pandora functions normally, except I can't see the Pandora Button's kill menu to kill the open task. However, I can navigate through the main menu and launch Temper again and it seems to clear everything up.

Hmm , I have like 15 iso's I tried and many of the rom games and not 1 crash...Bud

Um...After some more testing, it turns out that I had a few bad dumps. A good dump of Parasol Stars work flawlessly. So, false alarm, from me at least :)

Has DaveC died from a heart attack?
Almost.

Anyway just saw this thread, seems odd that there wasn't any mention of this on the GP32X site.

My suggestions were use the Pandora res for finer horiz scaling as now it is pretty course using the Wiz resolution to do it then doubled on the Pandora.

As for bugs most of the stuff I tried works fine although it has fits with Exile (I think the older one just crashed in battle sequence). This one has gfx tile corruption here and there and in the battle sequence the screen goes mental. Exo, I have a save state right before that part if you ever need it.

Also I was curious as it wasn't noted but what clockspeed is this running at?

Exophase thanks for releasing this now. We can at least play the best PC engine emu made on the Pandora right now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I´ve tried about 60 CDs and they are all working without any flaws on Temper. Very nice Emu. Unlike Mednafen, It has a nice front end and you can stretch to full screen. Thanks for this emu.

Exophase, will Temper for GP2X with SuperGrafx support be released at some point? or is the hardware not powerful enough?

random little minor request: whenever theres a next update to pnd, can you rename the docmentation to something like Temper Documentation, while right now its just readme.txt making it hard to distinguish from the other documentations

I hope that some day if this gets all polished out I can release a netplay library. Then lots of emulators on Pandora can start supporting it. Even better, emulators on other handhelds, and even more PC emulators.. It's my dream to see people netplaying against each other using different devices. I did most of my testing with Pandora netplaying against someone running a PC build of Temper on Windows.

Oh my goodness! :blink: :D

I hope that some day if this gets all polished out I can release a netplay library. Then lots of emulators on Pandora can start supporting it. Even better, emulators on other handhelds, and even more PC emulators.. It's my dream to see people netplaying against each other using different devices. I did most of my testing with Pandora netplaying against someone running a PC build of Temper on Windows.

Oh my goodness! :blink: :D
Just FYI, DOSBox (and probably DOSBox Ex as well, though I haven't tested it) already supports netplay on the Pandora. Tutorial for one specific DOS game called "NetKeen" here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw that this was released now while looking for medafen info. Thanks exophase, keep up the good work. Looking forward to this

When remapping buttons, how come the Menu / None options disappear? Also, is there a way remap one of the buttons, say the spacebar, to the menu button?

When remapping buttons, how come the Menu / None options disappear? Also, is there a way remap one of the buttons, say the spacebar, to the menu button?

I don't know anything about the first problem. As for your second question, no - I recommend using the m key to enter the menu.

Ah very good. Thank you kind sir. Great work. I was surprised this post went through. Seems like the forum had a hard time connecting to the database yesterday or something. :)

I'm using Temper 0.80 a lot these days and i must admit it's really good.

But i noticed some problems:

- compatibility for CD games can be better. Some games show gfx errors (Sapphire, Beyond Shadowgate, Cho Aniki, Exile), others dont load at all (Macross 2036). I'm using ISO+OGG here.

- there is no zip format support for hu-card games.

- there is no autofire option.

Moreover, would be possible add support for Magic Engine's cheats?

Really hope Exophase will fix Temper soon.

Hello,

I've been using temper 0.80 too, and even if it's really good, it seems that some points are not as good as it was on Temper 0.75 for wiz.

Like the gfx error describe by mamemaniac. Sapphire works great with the Wiz emulator, but not on this version.

Also, the sound doesn't seem as good as before. If feels "itchy", and it was perfect before (I tried Ys and Tengaï Makyo 2).

A workaround is to use the 0.75 with Ginge, but then, it doesn't feel as good with the scrolling (but the sound is good).

Perhaps it is possible to have a 0.75 version optimised for the Pandora?

Thank you for all your works.

It'd be better to fix the existing version, which uses a different graphics engine (to support different scaling modes, SGX, etc). I haven't heard of this issues before and would have to investigate myself. As for the other complaints, it can load bz2 compressed HuCard images and you can assign autofire to buttons in the configuration menu.

Don't know a thing about "itchy" audio, I never noticed a problem. You'll have to be more specific. But I didn't change the core audio code so it must be something in the way I'm interfacing with the emulated OSS device..

Back