The Archos Gamepad.

Yeah well the article is unsubstantiated and probably wrong. They even say that Archos "presumably" hopes to lure people away from Vita, ie it is merely their presumption. The actual Archos quote, on the other hand, clearly shows they're targeting Android users who game.

It's a silly mistake to see anything with gaming controls as trying to take on Nintendo and Sony. If they aren't announcing their own unique game library then clearly that isn't their intention. This is all to enhance an existing library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah well the article is unsubstantiated and probably wrong. They even say that Archos "presumably" hopes to lure people away from Vita, ie it is merely their presumption. The actual Archos quote, on the other hand, clearly shows they're targeting Android users who game.
I didn't really look into it farther than this thread and that article . I ussally do but I thought " oh fantastic yet another android device " Android is nice but the market is getting a bit stagnant with them .

Edit : it's almost like how 90 percent of the average consumer's tech uses Microsoft Windows . The other 10 percent being their wii and their kidses IPods as well as their calculator

Launching a device like this without Android would be outrageous. Pandora 2 will launch with Android too.

I doubt this will dual boot anything but at least Archos lets you root and has in the past officially supported other OS distros. Maybe they'll do that here.

Launching a device like this without Android would be outrageous. Pandora 2 will launch with Android too.

I doubt this will dual boot anything but at least Archos lets you root and has in the past officially supported other OS distros. Maybe they'll do that here.
At least the Pandora 2 will dual boot .

I remain firm in my beliefs .

When I say dual-booting I mean shipping with multiple OSes. It is not at all confirmed that Pandora 2 will ship dual booting. Right now the best we have is ED saying it'll be nice, while I think Craig doesn't care.

I don't mean that it'll lack the capability. Anything that can be rooted could end up multi-booting. My HP Touchpad can boot three things.

When I say dual-booting I mean shipping with multiple OSes. It is not at all confirmed that Pandora 2 will ship dual booting. Right now the best we have is ED saying it'll be nice, while I think Craig doesn't care.

I don't mean that it'll lack the capability. Anything that can be rooted could end up multi-booting. My HP Touchpad can boot three things.
I'd prefer if it has angstrom so I can transfer all of my stuff ( emus and the like ) fairly easily .

I'd prefer if it has angstrom so I can transfer all of my stuff ( emus and the like ) fairly easily .

You mean this product or Pandora 2? A lot of people would prefer a Linux distro w/Pandora 1 compatibility for Pandora 2 (but it doesn't really have to be Angstrom). And a lot of developers would prefer not having to use Android because it can be a lot of work to port code to Android and it might end up slower. But a lot of us also don't want to develop for an OS that only some fraction of an already small userbase is actually using.

I bought the Archos AV440 when it came out years back... Cost me about £400

At the time though was awesome media player/recordre and was solid.

This is appealing to me, I want an android tablet with built in controls, I'd sell my existing to get this almost definitely.

Roll on end of October.

Dpad is a shame though eh, not a fan of those type, still going to seriously consider this though.

I bought the Archos AV440 when it came out years back... Cost me about £400

At the time though was awesome media player/recordre and was solid.

This is appealing to me, I want an android tablet with built in controls, I'd sell my existing to get this almost definitely.

Roll on end of October.

Dpad is a shame though eh, not a fan of those type, still going to seriously consider this though.
better hope the analogs are mapped separate also dualcore is a huge no no

Glad to see companies have brainwashed tablet users into thinking you absolutely need quad core Cortex-A9s.

You mean this product or Pandora 2? A lot of people would prefer a Linux distro w/Pandora 1 compatibility for Pandora 2 (but it doesn't really have to be Angstrom). And a lot of developers would prefer not having to use Android because it can be a lot of work to port code to Android and it might end up slower. But a lot of us also don't want to develop for an OS that only some fraction of an already small userbase is actually using.
I mean The Pandora 2

I don't know, Craig has been quite vocal in his support for Android on The Pandora.

I don't know, Craig has been quite vocal in his support for Android on The Pandora.

Yes, obviously. What I meant is that I haven't seen any indication that Craig cares about shipping Pandora 2 with a standard Linux distro in addition to Android. Whenever the question is asked he responds with something like "you can put whatever you want on it, we'll never lock you down."

Yes, obviously. What I meant is that I haven't seen any indication that Craig cares about shipping Pandora 2 with a standard Linux distro in addition to Android. Whenever the question is asked he responds with something like "you can put whatever you want on it, we'll never lock you down."

From what a I gather from the comments i have heard from the community, none of the people that maintain angstom give a damn about android. So i think it will be very likely there will be a standard linux flashable image.

If android wasnt guarenteed to be supported chances are we wouldnt see a flashable image.

I do wish OP would commit to supporting both out of the box. But that is a large commitment im sure.

Sorry for O/T

I think the point is that android is a given (because all major SOC manufacturers take it into account (and it may be a requirement for for of the hardware(?))

OP doesn't have the money to hire developers, so if real linux exists on it, it will be because community devs put it there.

I'm sure P2s will ship with real linux once its been ported

I'd also bet of ED(or craig) supplying prototype/devkits to a few people

Glad to see companies have brainwashed tablet users into thinking you absolutely need quad core Cortex-A9s.
Not thinking of needing just now , just like a tablet that will have a bit of staying power in the next 10 months

The Obvious advantage of having android is the much wider and ever growing selections of apps available. Believe it or not, legacy software isn't the end of all for many.

But the iPad still is the best selling tablet by far :ph34r:

Archos started building media tablet way before the tablet hype. They know their s**t and used to build high quality devices. I wouldnt worry much about that.

They USED to build high quality devices in the past. These days... their quality is not as good as they pretended to be. They clearly destroyed their image in my eyes.

But the iPad still is the best selling tablet by far :ph34r:
Nah, it's struggling versus the iPad 2. B)

Localytics-iPad-device-share-US.jpg

source

Back