The Archos Gamepad.

If this thing were to release with top of the line graphics, dual triggers, and a proper mapping program to map the hardware controls to any game, it would be a must buy for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds interesting - a good quality analogue stick and dpad would make this nice -

The relatively clever bit of the GamePad comes from some patented Archos tech that remaps touch-screen controls to physical controls with no extra developer input. This means there are already "over a thousand" games on Google Play that the Archos GamePad can play.

This sounds interesting - a good quality analogue stick and dpad would make this nice -

The relatively clever bit of the GamePad comes from some patented Archos tech that remaps touch-screen controls to physical controls with no extra developer input. This means there are already "over a thousand" games on Google Play that the Archos GamePad can play.

Yes, it sounds like they developed there own sixaxis type software to map the real controls to touch controls. To be honest, that to me is the most interesting bit of this Archos Gamepad.

We just need to know which chipset it is, and an early hands-on reviewing the controls. Since it's that cheap, there's no way it'll be perfect.

Trying to get my head round the point of this, most newer games are thd only ie zen pinball, so will not run on this but archos insist all android titles available at launch will run, doesn't make sense.

I agree that doesn't exactly make sense to me either, as those are for the Tegra 3 'only' devices....

but that aside, I still see a point to owning this. All the other games still will work, and for me personally it will be mainly emulation used, with the odd Android game.

It's all about the built in controls for me, I had my eye on the Wikipad, this looks like it might be released sooner so will probably grab this.

I agree that doesn't exactly make sense to me either, as those are for the Tegra 3 'only' devices....

but that aside, I still see a point to owning this. All the other games still will work, and for me personally it will be mainly emulation used, with the odd Android game.

It's all about the built in controls for me, I had my eye on the Wikipad, this looks like it might be released sooner so will probably grab this.
Yeah know what you mean m8 they have the right idea jst think itll be outdated a bit to soon, tegra3 will have another years life init the way tech moves forward so dual core for me is just to silly a route to go, cant have a handheld without zen pinball love that game, if this device had quad core and a better dpad it would be perfect.

Just going to buy a nexus 7 and hope a proper controller with a similar layout to this tablet comes out.

This forum gactor with nexus 7 internals or better, with 2 3ds circle pads instead of those tiny nubs. With shoulder button AND shoulder trigger (nyko play pad style), that is what android gaming g needs

Do you think the Archos guys teamed up(bought a license) with the Sixaxis guys to embed Sixaxis into this thing?. It's a possibility.

Do you think the Archos guys teamed up(bought a license) with the Sixaxis guys to embed Sixaxis into this thing?. It's a possibility.
I think it's self made as their little quirk to convince the public, if you ask me it should be a give on any android device as controls on android can be a pain.

At around 150 euro it will probably steal a lot of the open source handheld market. It might not be perfect, but considering Archos has a lot of experience building tablets it should be good enough.

nice, I hope it's waterproof that would make a nice bodyboard...

Seriously wtf are they thinking when they design their device, I'm a bit surprised there's no wheel to transport it...

This is the kind of thing that would make me not care if the vita is jailbroken when it comes to emulation.

the soc will most likely be rockchip rk3066...the allwinner 10 is single core/gpu and better amlogic stuff has dual core/gpu configs...what would be interesting is if they use freescale i.mx6 becuase the vivante gpu sounds good or even better omap/exynos 5-series (they have been ti partners after all)

Yeah on current specs that seams about right basically like a dumbed down exynos dual core configuration although would prefer quad core and would pay £200 if the controls are any good pity companies need to dumb down to suit the market.

Looks powerful but the design is shite and it looks like a tablet on which you added small controls. Buttons sure look like crap.

Otherwise, interesting device, but it's a little too big and I prefer the Pandora form.

There's no FPGA, x86, or MIPS processor; what's there to like? :p

I'm not trolling, I'm telling you to use the search function before making a new thread about something that would have an awfully high likelihood of already having a thread on these forums.

Back