Pandora The best programming language for the Pandora?

There is no best language to learn.

I HAMMERED python (only been progging since feb) and for all it's uses and I love the way it's so easy but...

C++ is more important and puts you in the deep end of things.

Python is a lovely language but it's not as efficient as C++. If I'd written my first game in C++ I would've had the 60fps I wanted as opposed to the 20fps I got. On top of that C++ gets you used to compiling (python u dont...you just double cilck the text file with a .py extension)

I don't know much about progging at all but my vote goes with C++. It's quite easy to go from C++ to Python but python to C++ gives you a whole load of learning curves and at the end of the day you may as well start that curve from day one.

I suggest GLBasic. You can put something together really fast, build a packaged PND no problem, AND it's cross-platform. Everyone else is just cuddling their own baby, but I found this was the best if you want to focus on just making games and not worrying about everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest GLBasic. You can put something together really fast, build a packaged PND no problem, AND it's cross-platform. Everyone else is just cuddling their own baby, but I found this was the best if you want to focus on just making games and not worrying about everything else.
So you're not cuddling you own baby? Just sayin'.

I think Python is generally better than GLB, simply because it has more real-world applications. I'm not saying GLB doesn't have real-world uses, but learning Python will open more doors.

I like C because it's really useful on a wide range of hardware, from the µControllers to the full-fledged computer.

I don't like C because pointers are a real pain in the arse to learn
laugh.gif

But all in all I think C and C++ are the most useful languages you could learn.

(note that "most useful" ≠ "best"
wink.gif
)

But all in all I think C and C++ are the most useful languages you could learn.

(note that "most useful" ≠ "best"
wink.gif
)
I agree with this completely, even though C is becoming a little dated. For someone who is just starting out programming (i.e. has never written so much as an if-statement), I would still learning Python first, if only so that they don't get discouraged by the "Don't worry, this will make sense later" stuff.

C is definitely the language I would recommend someone learn if they are really interested in computer science and in becoming a programmer full-time.

Every other language pretty much maps onto C very well, especially the mainstream ones like Java, C++, C#, Actionscript, etc.

You will have a much easier time understanding these languages and why they improved upon C in the ways they did.

That said, Python is probably my preferred language at the moment, with C++ coming a close second. Python is an amazing language for getting programs written quickly, and is psychologically the nicest language I've used. It just seems to have done things that "Make sense" all of the time and I almost never feel like I'm battling with the language to get things done, which I think C/C++ have a problem with. Java is a nice language for writing large applications in but is overkill for most tasks. C# is the same.

Also functional languages are great, my favourite being Haskell.

My recommendation to anyone new to programming would be to learn in this order:

1) C (Not C++)

2) Python

3) Lisp

4) Haskell

5) C++ (or Java, or C#, etc.)

Visual Basic! (just kidding)

Though if you're on windows, and you have NO CLUE about programming it might be worth checking out,

even though it's pretty crap, and not cross platform. It's what I recommend to people who have no clue about advanced computing, and they still want to learn how to program. </lazymode>

That said, I'd still say go with python or C/++ first. I'm not familiar with GLB, but I heard it's pretty awesome too.

So you're not cuddling you own baby? Just sayin'.

I think Python is generally better than GLB, simply because it has more real-world applications. I'm not saying GLB doesn't have real-world uses, but learning Python will open more doors.

Just speaking from the perspective of a designer/artist. I already know C/C++, and Objective C, and I find that the trouble in optimizing for graphical performance just isn't worth the trouble. Call me unsophisticated in the matter of development, but I liked that GLBasic was one click to compile for Pandora, performing like silk so far on the device, and cross compiling is also a plus since I make games for iOS though I still prefer Corona with LUA for that. I considered Python, but I heard it had performance issues so it seemed counterproductive since the extra knowledge required to optimize graphic performance was the problem I was having with C++ in the first place. Also people on this forum seemed to be asking others to package PNDs for them.

GLBasic is free to download, try out, and it works in Windows, so I'd suggest the original poster try it for himself.

Back