The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sadly having many tourists (especially this time of year) means having many tourist scammers.

Don't worry, regular taxis will rip you off as well.

Just walk, or take the metro when going really far (and keep your valuables out of reach). You'd be surprised how small Paris is.

So I am currently in France and its like everyone is trying to rip me off.

Even had one dude try and kidnap me possibly.  In 2 hours I had a good 3 people try taxi scams on me, countless petition scams, and a few people attempting to pickpocket me. I feel like I have to be on guard all the time.  I love the architecture and the city but I just can't relax.

The guy who tried to maybe kidnap me (or a taxi scam) went down like this. I went to the taxi rank and he looked like one of the attendants, he asked where I was going so I told him and he said ahhh wrong rank.  Being my first time in France I didn't think much of it and he gestured me to follow him.  I did and then just started feeling sus as we walked for longer than I thought it would be to get to another rank.  I just thought as long as I stick to the main road it's fine as it's not like his going to pull a weapon on a street and I am a big guy so his not going to try and overpower me.   We get to this van with no markings and midnight black windows and he opens the back and gestures me to get in.   I just laugh and say he can't be serious and walk off and I think he thought I was going to tell the cops as he just jumped in the van and drove off but wtf is going on France.  

It's one place I am not going to come back to until they fix that shit up.   
Sounds like Marseille or Paris.

Try checking out the better parts of France. I'm fond of the Région Centre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some days I really am tempted to just walk off into the woods carrying an axe and a machete and just live off of the land and turn away from society. h34r: I've been having an F load more of the later then the former.
I hear ya. Likewise.
Maybe more of us should do it instead of just thinking about it. If it isn't obvious, I frequently consider options like this as well.
Could make a little community from the community..
I'd be the blacksmith :D
I'd be the one that looks after wild animals and does healing and other spiritual things. Or just the weird one
I'll be the 'other' one.

Yeah, sadly having many tourists (especially this time of year) means having many tourist scammers.

Don't worry, regular taxis will rip you off as well.

Just walk, or take the metro when going really far (and keep your valuables out of reach). You'd be surprised how small Paris is.
Yeah had a taxi rip me off 15 euro.  I was too tired to argue it though big day.   Although he tried to rort me 30 Euro so I have that as a consolation at least.  I also fucked up his seat belt when I was leaving due to the fact he was ripping me off and it will probably cost him 30 euro to fix.  Lol

Some days I really am tempted to just walk off into the woods carrying an axe and a machete and just live off of the land and turn away from society. h34r: I've been having an F load more of the later then the former.
I hear ya. Likewise.
Maybe more of us should do it instead of just thinking about it. If it isn't obvious, I frequently consider options like this as well.
I'd be the one that looks after wild animals and does healing and other spiritual things. Or just the weird one
I'll be the 'other' one.
You can be the maker/seller of spiritual things, and we can share the taking care of animals and healing etc :)

Do you look like a typical American tourist ?Seriously, though. I live there dayly, and I dont feel unsafe. Right I do look like a local guy, so i'm less prone to pick-pocket. But that's it.

Have you ever been to any large touristic place that's completly secured from pickpocket and scam for tourist ? As far as I know there's none

The guy who tried to maybe kidnap me (or a taxi scam) went down like this. I went to the taxi rank and he looked like one of the attendants, he asked where I was going so I told him and he said ahhh wrong rank.  Being my first time in France I didn't think much of it and he gestured me to follow him.  I did and then just started feeling sus as we walked for longer than I thought it would be to get to another rank.  I just thought as long as I stick to the main road it's fine as it's not like his going to pull a weapon on a street and I am a big guy so his not going to try and overpower me.   We get to this van with no markings and midnight black windows and he opens the back and gestures me to get in.   I just laugh and say he can't be serious and walk off and I think he thought I was going to tell the cops as he just jumped in the van and drove off but wtf is going on France.
He was "just" an illegal taxi.You should have gone with him, the ride would have been cheaper... and probably as enjoyable (if not more...) as a regular taxi ride in Paris.

I hear ya. Likewise.
I'll be the 'other' one.
You can be the maker/seller of spiritual things, and we can share the taking care of animals and healing etc :)
You know, I haven't seen a good quote pyramid in ages!

Do you look like a typical American tourist ?
Seriously, though. I live there dayly, and I dont feel unsafe. Right I do look like a local guy, so i'm less prone to pick-pocket. But that's it.

Have you ever been to any large touristic place that's completly secured from pickpocket and scam for tourist ? As far as I know there's none

He was "just" an illegal taxi.
You should have gone with him, the ride would have been cheaper... and probably as enjoyable (if not more...) as a regular taxi ride in Paris.
I am Australian so I don't know how that makes me look.  I sound Australian and I am white.  Also YES Australia is practically free from pickpockets.  That shit just doesn't exist where I come from. Tourist or local no one gets picked on by thieves scammers etc.

How can you say that about the taxi driver?  There are plenty of places warning exactly of what that guy was doing and saying it would rip you off.

I hear ya. Likewise.
I'll be the 'other' one.
I want to play too.  I will be the heretic hermit that steals the animals and either releases them or takes care of them in hidden places.  Other services offered include construction, repair, demolition, destruction, fire building, blasphemy, and minor electronic, electrical and some technical work if anyone brings those things wherever you people make your settlement.  Don't be surprised at random raids and attacks.  If this happens I also can am willing to help out with defense.  Maybe some fishing and hunting for those that don't mind animals dying.  There are many other things I would be willing to do, so just ask.  If you die on your way to ask me for my services...well, things happen, and I like my privacy and being left alone.  Maybe there are others you can have ask me for you.   I don't do medical stuff, although I have some training that may be valuable for such a venture, and feel it would be better to teach others than to take on those responsibilities myself.  Edit: There are actually many things I can teach or provide training for.

Also, keep the weird people away from me.

I hear ya. Likewise.
I'll be the 'other' one.
There's our engineer ^. Quick nab him!

I hear ya. Likewise.
I'll be the 'other' one.
Nothing goes without a woodworker and here I am.

Besides that I'm a musician and martial artist as well and could be of use in many ways.

So uh..who's going to get it going then? :p
Except for the woods part (there may be forest or wooded areas, but that is not the main thing I am looking for), I already have plans for something like this, but nothing large scale.  The problem I have yet to figure out is property taxes.

So uh..who's going to get it going then? :p
Except for the woods part (there may be forest or wooded areas, but that is not the main thing I am looking for), I already have plans for something like this, but nothing large scale.  The problem I have yet to figure out is property taxes.
Crowd funding? .. Just offer a chance for funders to come vacation here. Hey if we get 300 people sending in 5 bucks 1500 if we get 300 sending in 10 bucks a month that's 3000.  Granted alot of people just might like to see it as a social experiment alone...and root for our downfall..... that'd be okay too they'd have to pay to see any "Chaos" that emerges. I have a few plans in my head of how to make a place like this survive.. Hell I'm one of those people who hope for an apocalypse of some sort.... and if we need anything gasoline powered I'd be making moonshine,or using wood gasifiers or just straight up steam if its stationary.  :D

Also I'd suggest we make a greenhouse from scavenged windows...  :p

I hear ya. Likewise.
I'll be the 'other' one.
Nothing goes without a woodworker and here I am.Besides that I'm a musician and martial artist as well and could be of use in many ways.
I could be that weird guy in town who thinks he has an answer to evrything - part wise, part insane.
Let's build a community based on the Venus Project ! :D

I hear ya. Likewise.
I'll be the 'other' one.
Nothing goes without a woodworker and here I am.
Besides that I'm a musician and martial artist as well and could be of use in many ways.
I could be that weird guy in town who thinks he has an answer to evrything - part wise, part insane.
I think there are already too many people that fit part or all of this.  I might qualify, if it weren't for one little thing: I don't think I have an answer for everything, I do have one. :D  Oh, and my "wisdom" is just stupidity that people misunderstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back