The Gp2x F-100 Original Joystick Appreciation Thread

cador

Still Fresh
Was the original joystick for the GP2X F-100 really that bad? I thought that it fitted comfortably under my left thumb and was very functional. It was also unique to have this type of controller on a handheld games system.

I had a first edition F100 and a non first edition F100 (The one after the FE without the FE labeling), And can safely say (IMHO) they were both bloody horrendous for controlling (or lack there of) anything, Even the menu.

Trooper

ALthough dpads were better, i only ever had problems flying in super mario world

cador said:
Was the original joystick for the GP2X F-100 really that bad? I thought that it fitted comfortably under my left thumb and was very functional. It was also unique to have this type of controller on a handheld games system.
Get the datasheet (I have it around somewhere, if you really want PM me) for the stick and check its rated life, only so many thousand presses, it is doomed to failure.

Basically it had a throw of 1cm and strike zones of 1mm, this is very bad.

The case was poorly designed, merely tightening the screws in the wrong order would cause the stick to hit the case and be unable to move in one or two directions.

I had a First Edition MK1, and a couple regular MK1 and a MK2, the stick is pure crap (all the same stick, although the MK2 rotated it 45°, trading one frustration for another and doing nothing to alleviate the poor quality).

I do not have anything against a stick! I put forward many times that I would at least like a proper stick with tact switches for example, and maybe a throw of less than 1cm, more like 1mm. With contact area of 100% of the side you are trying to hit, instead of a mini "landing pad".

The stick they chose was cheap off-the-shelf crap from the get-go, they did it to save money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I still preferred the f100 to the f200 for fighting games. Easier to use those circular motions. However, besides that it was pretty finicky. Sometimes it would work ok but other times even with the better cap (davec cap or one used for mk2 models) the cap wouldn't quite be in the right place and things wouldn't work. Also just going in the cardinal directions could be hard cause of the way it was designed.

I don't think it was quite as bad as some people made it out to be but it was still always the weak point of the f100 model.

I wouldn't go so far as to appreciate the F100 stick, but I never had any big problems with it. It did ok for Noiz2sa, Doom, Cave Story, etc., though I thought it was useless for fighting games.

I played for hours without cap on stick and can say that F100 cap rules!!!

I find the F100 stick fine, yeah, not the best controller I;'ve ever used, but it does the job. And despite its low life expectancy, its survived for near two years, and I use my GP2X lots.

Joystick in the first GP2x system was bad as it was too easy to press the wrong direction by mistake, when it was rotated in MK2 version it was perfectly acceptable. A D-pad is better for most things but the MK2 joystick was better for shoot-em-up side scrollers.

I can honestly say that the original joystick sucks the sweat of a dead man's balls and is the first and foremost reason I don't use my GP2X F100 Mk1 that much anymore.

bacteria said:
Joystick in the first GP2x system was bad as it was too easy to press the wrong direction by mistake, when it was rotated in MK2 version it was perfectly acceptable.

Unless the program didn't read the specific diagonal, then it was a freaking bitch. Or even if it did read the specific diagonal, because the diagonals were now the small ones.

A D-pad is better for most things but the MK2 joystick was better for shoot-em-up side scrollers.
Interesting, which model do you have with a Dpad? GPH doesn't make one. (F200 has four buttons, no common axis of rotation, it is not a d-pad).

Unless you are one of the guys who did a d-pad mod, I forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back