The Pandora Bookmark

Middo

Website
www.fillsites.com.au
Congrats!

But you know, I just realized something... while fantastic as a Pandora bookmark for the PC, the many images take too long to load on an actual Pandora. Is it possible to create a mirror that has the same links but without the images?

didn't even know this existed!!!! VERY useful! :D kind of like Opera browser's speed dial (which means I can fill only one speed dial link with this on my Linux box and go from there... hmm, brings up a good browser idea...

A heirarchal "speed dial" structure... like merging a file browser and a web browser... Think that's a novel idea, but I have nowhere near the expertise to build such a beast, so I'll put the idea out into the wild and hope the designer credits me for the idea... :p

unfortunately, I believe it is dead and gone... And it was looking so promising too... Hopefully, someone else will get a startup similar and continue the idea...

Esn said:
Congrats!

But you know, I just realized something... while fantastic as a Pandora bookmark for the PC, the many images take too long to load on an actual Pandora. Is it possible to create a mirror that has the same links but without the images?

Thanks, may have to break the 'main page' down and have more sub-pages for the less used stuff. As for the mirror site, it would be easy to have a /lite.html I have all the 'href' on the images. Maybe change to a single generic image (like the soon.png on that I use) Would be a pain to do all images. Maybe just the ones on the main page? Will do a test and see what u think.

Reducing the main page may be enough though.

Thanks for the feedback.

edit: added bookmarks.openpandora.org/lite.html for testing. Only front page is LITE though. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd actually prefer the "Lite" site to have no images at all... the reason is that the Pandora's screen resolution isn't all that large, so I'd rather have more links visible on a page than have to scroll down a really long time.

Would it be possible to create one like that?

Esn said:
I'd actually prefer the "Lite" site to have no images at all... the reason is that the Pandora's screen resolution isn't all that large, so I'd rather have more links visible on a page than have to scroll down a really long time.

Would it be possible to create one like that?
Hi Esn,

Maybe will do something like that when I get more time, however for the meantime I made a quick 'superlite' version for now.

http://bookmarks.openpandora.org/superlite.html

Smaller image, still large enough for finger use etc. Hope this is a little better etc.

Cheers,

Middo

Hi there,

nice site you got there, I like that it is easily browsable with a finger on a touchscreen and has all the useful information in one place.
Some explanatory text to every entry would be nice though, maybe you can build a system like here: http://m.xkcd.com/ (click (alt-text) ) So it only is shown when clicking the title of the entry and does not waste any screen-size otherwise.

What would help speed up the load time is compressing the images some more, for example by using an 8-bit PNG (and dithering) you can get most down to 25% file-size with minimal worse image quality (the apps.open-pandora thumbnail for example easily compresses to 6KB instead of 22).
Also the image to my YouTube account seems to be missing :-3

Anyway, keep up the good work :)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Hi there,

nice site you got there, I like that it is easily browsable with a finger on a touchscreen and has all the useful information in one place.
Some explanatory text to every entry would be nice though, maybe you can build a system like here: http://m.xkcd.com/ (click (alt-text) ) So it only is shown when clicking the title of the entry and does not waste any screen-size otherwise.

What would help speed up the load time is compressing the images some more, for example by using an 8-bit PNG (and dithering) you can get most down to 25% file-size with minimal worse image quality (the apps.open-pandora thumbnail for example easily compresses to 6KB instead of 22).
Also the image to my YouTube account seems to be missing :-3

Anyway, keep up the good work :)

foxblock out

Thanks foxblock. Have prepared a pic for your youtube, however upload died. Must be to excess use on the openpandora.org site.??? <ust be SONY's free DS? Will upload later. On this, I use a program to automatically extract the screen shots so I would have to find another program to sweep the image directories, load each file, and re-save etc. with new settings. Know of any?

As for the Alt-text, I like that site example. Maybe down the track I may look closer at it. For now, as I like your idea for the additional info etc., I may just use title="" for a mouse-hover-over for now to add some extra info etc.. Thanks

Cheers,

Middo

just a random thought... maybe you could contact the devs for Midori browser... I think the concept you are looking for is related to their "speed dial" screen (which your site kind of reminds me of)... maybe there could be a few tricks/functions you can find yourself in their code or by contacting them to ask them specifically about their speed dial feature. Again, just a thought...

New BETA released for THE PANDORA BOOKMARK for anyone to try out and comment etc.

Only loads the sections you want etc., defaults with the SOFTWARE section, click on the top or bottom links to load different sections etc.

http://www.bookmarks.openpandora.org/beta.html

Cheers!

Middo

@Custom Processing Unlimite: Thanks for feedback etc. maybe down the track will take a look. The new BETA is cool though.

Back