Pandora The Pandora Game

Not to rain on your parade here, Jourdy, but I thought I would have a go at a retro-futuristic style plane. There is no colour cos i'm lazy, I'll add colour if you like the design. :)

google plane mk II.png

Dude, there's no parades to rain on ;)

I like that one! I think it looks rather like an Apple plane ATM with no color ;)

As for retrofuturism, it needs more gizmos doing nothing. Mine is a lot more steampunk, maybe the iPlanes could look rather Jetson-esque?

I've made two of them with colour, but I didn't know which on was best, so I'll leave it up to you guys to decide :) .

I've also included a base with the colour palette if you have your own ideas for colouring.

(also the first one is supposed to be a similar colour formation to the chrome logo, but I think it looks bad)

google plane mk II - chrome.png

google plane mk II - other.png

google plane mk II - base w. Pallette.png

I get where you're going with the first one, but I also see the trouble with it..

The second one is pretty nice!

OK Moz, I've recolored your planes. I'll be animating them soon. Feedback?

@Blue Protoman I like the theme, though I was hoping for something a tad more.. Menacing. More minor key tonality plz.

EDIT: I've animated them here:

10715ad.jpg

PlaneSpellGoog.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Moz, I've recolored your planes. I'll be animating them soon. Feedback?

@Blue Protoman I like the theme, though I was hoping for something a tad more.. Menacing. More minor key tonality plz.

EDIT: I've animated them here:

<SNIP>

thats a better idea, having them all separate colours. It seems you have some issues in the red planes animation though ;)

I noticed the trouble with the red plane too, do you like the clouds?
The planes look nice that way, but the clouds look like they use a lot of alpha blending which we need to avoid at all cost (I wrote that in my second post).

foxblock out

EDIT: Also you don't have to animate a group of planes, this will be done completely in code. We just need the individual planes (which can be animated with a spinning propeller or things like that).

The planes look nice that way, but the clouds look like they use a lot of alpha blending which we need to avoid at all cost (I wrote that in my second post).

foxblock out
Sorry, noob here, alpha blending?

Alpha-blending is like... transparent stuff. fully transparent stuff is nice and fast and we use Magenta to represent areas that will be fully transparent.

Semi-transparent things require more CPU time with standard SDL.

Alpha-blending is like... transparent stuff. fully transparent stuff is nice and fast and we use Magenta to represent areas that will be fully transparent.

Semi-transparent things require more CPU time with standard SDL.
Oooh, OK, So I just leave the clouds against green? Then, in the game we flip to transparent somehow?

Oooh, OK, So I just leave the clouds against green? Then, in the game we flip to transparent somehow?
Yes, in-game we remove all the green and just have whatever was surrounded by it.

But it would also be better if you used magenta (255,0,255) instead of green as it is a better defined and it's a colour not often used for images. (of course we also could remove the green, no problem)

Anyway, this is all stuff I wrote in my second post ;)

foxblock out

EDIT: Of course you can make use of alpha-blending if your graphic has a solid background (like when we would not remove the green background behind your clouds), which should not be masked out. But this does apply to level backgrounds rather than sprites.

Back