Pandora The Pandora Game

Use GIMP! GIMP GIMP GIMP GIMP!

I agree, don't use the Apple logo - those assholes are really strict about their logo - yet still distribute stickers of them (yes, my school is covered in them, pilfered from the admin room(not me, eww)). Google should be more understanding, but much too risky...ofcourse, I won't stop you, I don't want to, and how could I? ;)

Umm...anyone need a (more RPG-centric) tiling map drawer thing? Tiling engine/blar? C++/SDL, GPLv3. Was being used in my Pokemon remake, which I had to cancel due to fear of copyright issue (damn, again, that's my worst fear. And it's something that need not be.)

But I have plans for an all original RPG, think like a standard adventure book, as a game. If I can pull it off, it will be awesome. Enough teasing:

How about using ripped graphics, from games which the publisher has released/with permission?

And failing that idea....

USE PLACEHOLDERS FIRST! Art is what you should concentrate on LAST. Make it work before you make it fast. Make it fast before you make it pretty.

Use GIMP! GIMP GIMP GIMP GIMP!

I agree, don't use the Apple logo - those assholes are really strict about their logo - yet still distribute stickers of them (yes, my school is covered in them, pilfered from the admin room(not me, eww)). Google should be more understanding, but much too risky...ofcourse, I won't stop you, I don't want to, and how could I? ;)

Umm...anyone need a (more RPG-centric) tiling map drawer thing? Tiling engine/blar? C++/SDL, GPLv3. Was being used in my Pokemon remake, which I had to cancel due to fear of copyright issue (damn, again, that's my worst fear. And it's something that need not be.)

But I have plans for an all original RPG, think like a standard adventure book, as a game. If I can pull it off, it will be awesome. Enough teasing:

How about using ripped graphics, from games which the publisher has released/with permission?

And failing that idea....

USE PLACEHOLDERS FIRST! Art is what you should concentrate on LAST. Make it work before you make it fast. Make it fast before you make it pretty.
Your generalisation at the end is fine if you are flying solo for everything. If you are primarily a coder, then why should you spend all your hours trying to make the GFX pretty. Coloured squares can even work to check if the engine is functioning, then you can have the artist supply the art later.

This doesn't have to start later, the artists can work on the art as you tinker with the engine. They may want to rough things out first and then go back once they've seen it in the engine, but working collaboratively means you can work in parallel...

Your generalisation at the end is fine if you are flying solo for everything. If you are primarily a coder, then why should you spend all your hours trying to make the GFX pretty. Coloured squares can even work to check if the engine is functioning, then you can have the artist supply the art later.

This doesn't have to start later, the artists can work on the art as you tinker with the engine. They may want to rough things out first and then go back once they've seen it in the engine, but working collaboratively means you can work in parallel...

Oh, of course, just don't wait on art, that's a bad idea ;) . And, this isn't my project, I didn't want to sound bossy or anything - it was merely some sagely advice that came from a mouth not qualified to say such ;) .

But yeah...GIMP = pwnage.

Oh hey, that tile studio looks pretty cool - maybe I should have a further look into that...bleh - windows only tho.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but what do you mean by that?

Your not stupid at all Moz and I was speaking out of place anyway. What I was referring too was that a prior poster had commented that the model II of your sprite, reminded him of iPhones, and to my mind the wings with the Apple Logo, looked like the metallic backs of iDevices, hence you could turn them over to display the screens and app icons when a plane rolls.

It was a dumb suggestion anyway so just ignore it.

Your not stupid at all Moz and I was speaking out of place anyway. What I was referring too was that a prior poster had commented that the model II of your sprite, reminded him of iPhones, and to my mind the wings with the Apple Logo, looked like the metallic backs of iDevices, hence you could turn them over to display the screens and app icons when a plane rolls.

It was a dumb suggestion anyway so just ignore it.

I like the suggestion, it's not dumb at all.

As I work on retrofuturistic Googleplanes, here's a few level title screens for From China With Love:

2n8x02h.jpg

25qawpy.jpg
25qawpy.jpg
"]

Opinions?

Also, I created a page on the Wiki for us to work on:

http://pandorawiki.org/User:Jourdy288/Pandora_Game

http://pandorawiki.org/User:Jourdy288/Pandora_Game/BeginHere/Graphics#Undecided

Last edited by a moderator:
My new plane. Should I continue with more like these Foxblock?

[…]

I love retro-futuristic looking planes.

It would be great if you try making them look like the planes from crimson skies.

A few examples :

crimson-skies-high-road-to-revenge-.jpg

crimson_screen002.jpg

(the plane's front is on the left, the cockpit is on the rear, near the propeller)

Hmm, just got a flashback to Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII..

Yeah, the title screen. The proportions for the plane look strange, too. Tiny wings, bulky body. Go for it with both barrels, not halfway. Good start, though.

The sprite or the title screen? I presume the latter..
The latter, of course ;)

Title/Intro screen should of course be 800x480 if possible, but the image has a lot of transparency issues at the borders and very small lines... some issues which have to be resolved before it can go in.

Also I am missing the case/Pandora reference in there as it currently is just a picture of China.

Not sure about the Wiki pages, to me this discussion thread fully suffices as I will just update the second post with all important info. I don't have a wiki account and I really don't want to have to check an additional place :S

foxblock out

Yeah, the title screen. The proportions for the plane look strange, too. Tiny wings, bulky body. Go for it with both barrels, not halfway. Good start, though.
The strange proportions are intentional, retrofuturism doesn't have to make sense. Besides, remember what we decided for Google? Cloud computing=swarm of planes.

Also, you don't get the title screen? I see the issues, naturally, but From China With Love? I suppose I should make it something more obvious..

The strange proportions are intentional, retrofuturism doesn't have to make sense. Besides, remember what we decided for Google? Cloud computing=swarm of planes.

Also, you don't get the title screen? I see the issues, naturally, but From China With Love? I suppose I should make it something more obvious..
The size of the plane (for a swarm) is right, nobody commented on that, though. Retrofuturism aside the very thin wings just look a bit odd :S

Also I get the title screen (seriously!) you don't have to make it more "obvious", I am just missing some reference to the Pandora apart from the title, which is more of an inside joke (in this community).

I just think some more graphics beside the map of china would be nice.

foxblock out

Hmm, maybe it could be animated, with little factories? Also, did you open the spoiler tag? There's a couple more for evaluation in there.

EDIT: They both look the same, but one is actually more transparent.

Hmm, maybe it could be animated, with little factories? Also, did you open the spoiler tag? There's a couple more for evaluation in there.

EDIT: They both look the same, but one is actually more transparent.
Yes, I did, but I don't really like the colouring (orange+purple+brown :-||)

Well, I can't agree that retrofuturism doesn't have to make sense.

This "tiny wings and big body" plane doesn't work for me.

The planes have to be probable, not realistic, but they must at least give the feeling that they could fly.

As I said, try to look at crimson skies planes, you'll get what I mean.

Yes, I did, but I don't really like the colouring (orange+purple+brown :-||)
Alright, neither do I, just tossed them in to see if I was alone on that ;)

@Kodeln Haha, when I say 'retrofuture' I mean steampunk. When I think art I think Salvador Dali. I think you know where I'm going with this.

Ok, maybe I won't go that far.

Here's that plane animated. Opinions?

213af6.jpg

My opinion? Go for the plane with both barrels. Either make the wings AND body thick, or slim and thin. Do not mix them.

Back