Pandora The Pandora Game

Ehm, foxblock? Is the second post currently up to date with all the ideas collected and considered good so far? I'm not reading all the stuff here... Didn't you mention an alpha framework for sunday? No intention to put preasure on you, but I would be very intressted.
It is not entirely up to date, I have not included any of Blue Protoman's ideas, but the general layout has not been changed.

Also the framework is nearly done, I just wanted to wait until we got the lives decision done to include that, but I can release it beforehand, too.

I will most likely upload it to GoogleCode, so if you have a Google account and a SVN client I can add you and you can make your own commits. A packed version will also be available for download, but I won't keep that up-to-date on every update.

Also I want to write a small manual for the framework beforehand, so everyone knows what to do.

EDIT: Second post updated, I included the new ideas, but I was lazy so I just copied Blue Protoman's quotes (sorry to everybody else, this is no personal bias that I did not quote you, I was just too lazy to retype his stuff again.)

Also added a open questions category at the bottom, current urgent questions will go there, so check it out from time to time!

Btw, all stuff in italics is also very open to discussion and still not fully decided.

Last edited by a moderator:
An idea for the fourth level excuse move.

We could make a bar with multiple levels, so for example when you trigger the excuse move at the lowest level it will just be a lame excuse (the volcano hindering cargo for example ;) - I kid, I kid!) only dispelling the weakest enemies, but when you release it when the bar is completely filled you will get the ultimate move scaring away all enemies for a while (aka the "What is your order number"-scream, maybe we can also include a nice animation here, when you trigger the move it zooms out, shows the roof of the house with Craig sitting on it, shouting - like Emnasut suggested).

Upon using the move the bar will empty and then start to slowly fill again (and we could also increase the fill time after each use).

I think it could be placed on the left or right side of the screen.

foxblock out

I got bored, so i took a quick crack at a plane sprite for level 1.

Tell me what you think.

plane sprite.png

That sprite actually looks really good.

A bit of an addendum;

Van Level:

• Encourage drifting, and reward it by lowering your Heat Meter
  • The van does not start on fire, it lights up after a few seconds. Then the music changes and the Heat Meter appears.

I have another idea as well; Second Batch mode. A lot of arcade games have a second "loop"; when you beat all the levels, you go on to play harder versions of them. (Every game made by Psikyo does this, for example.) There can be two Batches; the first (the one you start on) and the second (unlocked after completing the last level). The Second Batch is faster, more difficult, and has modified color palettes. (Perhaps taking place at sunset or night now?) Of course, you can play unlocked Second Batch levels any time after unlocking them.

I might be able to make some music in WarioWare DIY. I'd do better with screenshots or a video first, though, so I can set the mood properly.

And now, for some Level 5 ideas;

Fifth stage: Side-scrolling racing/reflex game, similar to Canabalt
Code: Scntrblob

Delivery, all over the world

You control ED or Craig trying to deliver all the Pandoras.

You travel around the world (jump from roof to roof, run over the sea, etc.) and need to drop Pandora in mailboxes while avoiding hazards (ideas?).

-Control like the first stage of Dynamite Headdy, where you move forward automatically, but the D-Pad changes your position on the screen.

-Possible obstacles; Rocks, signs, cars, barrels (oh ho ho), environmental hazards (wind, lightning, etc.), potholes and open manholes

-You have to throw Pandoras into mailboxes, chimneys, people with their arms up, or other spots. You're running fairly fast, but you will be warned when a delivery spot is coming up. (An image will point to where exactly it's coming from)

-To deliver the Pandora, simply toss it forward, and if it hits the mailbox, you get the points. You have a limted supply, though, so you can't miss.

-You will also encounter enemies, like more Apple ninjas, etc. that you can attack by swinging a bat, or perhaps with a (stun?) gun.

Apple plane.

Just a basic recolour and a few minor tweaks.

Tell me what you think nonetheless.

apple plane sprite.png

Also good, but you should make it different than the Pandora plane besides color and logo. Perhaps modify the wings?

I heeded your advice:

apple plane II.

Better? Or should I go with a completely different design?

apple plane sprite mk II.png

@Blue Protoman:

I like the idea with second batch mode, that would increase replay value and add some more challenge for the hardcore crowd ;)

I also like ideas for the fifth level, sounds very good.

I would limit movement to jumping, maybe sliding (to avoid obstacles in the air) and acceleration/deceleration.

@moz:

Great work, looking really good!

I think the planes could use some more shading to make them look less "flat", but aside from that it's looking very good :)

The apple plane should be delicate, design over functionality, like their products ;) - but the version 2 actually looks good, maybe just make the wings a bit thinner.

I think the Google planes should be small and numerous (reference to cloud computing).

I am just putting the final touches on the framework (aka writing the manual), so I think it will be ready tonight.

foxblock out

Got some possible locations for Level 5:

-Neighborhood (Deliver to mailboxes and people; obstacles are cars, trash cans, and potholes)

-City (Deliver to people; obstales are cars, piles of trash bags, potholes, and gang members)

-Rooftops (Deliver to off-screen people at the bottom who are marked by arrows; obstacles are gaps between buildings, weathervanes, and air vents)

-Train (Deliver to open windows, you can run either besides or on top; obstacles are rocks, signs, livestock, and tunnels if you're on top

-Beach (Deliver to people, obstacles are umbrellas, hot sand, shells, rocks, the occasional SUV, lifeguard chairs)

I heeded your advice:

apple plane II.

Better? Or should I go with a completely different design?

I like your planes! The second version of the iPlane looks fine I think. I wouldn't make the wings thinner as this way they somehow remind me of iPhones. :)

So many great ideas here. Love the zombie defence ideas, Pandora pipe bombs, order # smart bomb, van chase, level names and the paper boy style delivery.

I know turned down already and the plane sprites are great Moz but I do think winged iPhone icons and boss iPads with those annoying aluminium handle frames would be a therapeutic laugh. How about turning the wings over Moz,into iPhone screens or having that effect if the planes loop over?

How about the Pandora plane being a bi-wing RedBaron?

Regarding weaponry being non-violent and in keeping, could ammo auto change per character (if/when any Vapourware twats are possible enemy sprites) i.e if ED is being used as the character its 'Wideo tapes' or he lassos with LCD cables, MWeston chucks PCB's, DaveC fires cases and styli, and Craig lobs random handhelds, empty vodka bottles and furry santa hats!

Call me the guy that ruins the party but wouldn't it be better to not so subtly imply the Apple and Google connection to the enemies rather than using their logos...I mean, we don't want the community, or OPT, to get in any hot water over a little parody. I mean for the enemies like the Apple planes, they could all be white or black with a silver underside and very thin, and the Google planes and soldiers could have multi-coloured uniforms using the Google colour order. Just an idea. I don't want anyone to get annoyed about it I just think any legal backlash, even over a small community game, would not be a good thing.

Oh, I forgot one thing; names for Level 5.

-You Only Deliver Twice

-For Your Mailbox Only

Cameleon: That works, too.

Got some possible locations for Level 5:

-Neighborhood (Deliver to mailboxes and people; obstacles are cars, trash cans, and potholes)

-City (Deliver to people; obstales are cars, piles of trash bags, potholes, and gang members)

-Rooftops (Deliver to off-screen people at the bottom who are marked by arrows; obstacles are gaps between buildings, weathervanes, and air vents)

-Train (Deliver to open windows, you can run either besides or on top; obstacles are rocks, signs, livestock, and tunnels if you're on top

-Beach (Deliver to people, obstacles are umbrellas, hot sand, shells, rocks, the occasional SUV, lifeguard chairs)
Like it, we could connect all these locations, so at first you race through the neighbourhood, entering the city after some time, then at one point race up a ladder onto the rooftops, from there you jump onto the train which takes you to the beach.

Or something like that, maybe three of these regions would also suffice...

Call me the guy that ruins the party but wouldn't it be better to not so subtly imply the Apple and Google connection to the enemies rather than using their logos...I mean, we don't want the community, or OPT, to get in any hot water over a little parody. I mean for the enemies like the Apple planes, they could all be white or black with a silver underside and very thin, and the Google planes and soldiers could have multi-coloured uniforms using the Google colour order. Just an idea. I don't want anyone to get annoyed about it I just think any legal backlash, even over a small community game, would not be a good thing.
First of all:

This is a community project and does in no way represent the opinion of OpenPandora.
This will also appear in the game, because I exactly don't want that to happen.

Second of all: I still think you are right. Subtlety might be the key here, it also might be better to just hint at the "enemy" than rubbing the players face in it. When seeing a white plane everybody will think of Apple (same for google), we don't have to include any logo.

foxblock out

Okay, the repo is up (SVN):

http://code.google.com/p/pandora-game/source/checkout

If you want to commit some code or general changes you will need to send me your gmail address (via PM), I will add you to the project then.

I included a read-me which you can find here (plain text for compatibility):

http://code.google.com/p/pandora-game/source/browse/trunk/Readme.txt

A packed version can be found here (for those without SVN):

http://code.google.com/p/pandora-game/downloads/list

You will need Penjin:

http://code.google.com/p/penjin/

The framework currently is in a working state, but I have not included all features yet:

- The "Single level" menu item does not do anything

- There is no highscore list yet

- also the supplied example level is very very basic, it should just give you an understanding of how the framework works (Press A to restart the timer and increase your score, press B to lose a life - Pandora controls, see Readme for PC mapping)

- There only is a CodeBlocks project for building, I don't use Makefiles, cmake or whatever, if you need that I can help you set it up by generating a list of needed files and classes. Also I would be glad if anyone could create something like this for any non-CodeBlocks-users out there.

- The CodeBlocks project comes with a W32 (MinGW), Linux and Pandora target already set-up

- The font is ugly and temporary of course! (we might want to go with a nice custom bitmap font)

But these changes do not affect your level, so you can start work on it now and I improve the stuff around it without you noticing or needing to change some code (hopefully).

Questions and comments can be posted here, but I hope I explained everything as well as possible.

foxblock out

PS: We also need some title, main menu, intro screen, score screen, game-over screen and highscore screen art ;)

I think the Google planes should be small and numerous (reference to cloud computing).

foxblock out

Sorry I lost track, are the Google planes friendly or not? Google is somewhat OSS..

Also, I think I'll try my hand at the Google planes tomorrow, I've got a good idea ;)

Back