The port request topic

There are many games that would be great on the Pandora, but dont want to start mentioning games that are probably not open source :(

Anyone got any good URL's or sources to find out what commercial games have become open source? I cant find any good lists like these anywhere :huh: and it would be a nice thing to knw.

Also I knw HL2 is open source now... is the 1st HL also open source? what about deux ex?

I'll cast a second vote for Warzone 2100, or I suppose should properly say Warzone 2100 Resurrection.

As long as I have that and the ability to play Xcom through DOSBOX, I'm all set. :wink:

PoisonedV said:
UGH.

1.http://www.google.com/search?q=open+source+games

2. HL2 isn't open source. the code is available, it isn't open source. it's not viable.

Thanks for the thought PoisonedV :( but ofc Ive googled already, I said commercial games.
Games open source aside from quake 2 etc, I knw HL2 probably isnt viable I just ment it as an example.

Dont worry I hate it when ppl dont look for things themselves, but as I said I'd looked :<

Don't know how feasible it would be but the Pandora seems a perfect home for BackTrack (http://Remote-Exploit.org. It's a Linux distro based around security and penetration testing apps, one of the guys over there was getting very excited a while back about having a eeePC as a portable pen. test machine but the Pandora would seem even better. Might be a case of making them aware of it and seeing if they can/want to port to the Pandora rather than someone involved in the Pandora project trying to port it across though.

I've found an open source counterstrike clone called assaultcube,and I have acquired the linux source!
This game is perfect for the pandora,it is designed to run on low power hardware,overclock the cpu to 800-900mhz and it would run perfectly!
It's minimum requirement is 64mb of ram.
At the moment I am running the windows version full speed on a laptop running win2k at 600mhz with 128mb of ram and a 16mb graphics card.The online play is designed to function at dial up speeds!!
What's more is the game is only 19mb in size!!

Some graphical features specifically dynamic lighting (map) and dynamic lighting (player) have to be turned off but these make little or no difference to the game!
The game feels and plays exactly like counterstrike and has nearly all the same features.
The game will require little or no dynarec optimisation to run full speed,hurrah!

This will be my 1st port to the pandora and can be expected some time in early 2009 when I can get my hands on a pandora (missed the pre-ordering window).
ryan0

ryan0 said:
I've found an open source counterstrike clone called assaultcube,and I have acquired the linux source!
This game is perfect for the pandora,it is designed to run on low power hardware,overclock the cpu to 800-900mhz and it would run perfectly!
It's minimum requirement is 64mb of ram.
At the moment I am running the windows version full speed on a laptop running win2k at 600mhz with 128mb of ram and a 16mb graphics card.The online play is designed to function at dial up speeds!!
What's more is the game is only 19mb in size!!

Some graphical features specifically dynamic lighting (map) and dynamic lighting (player) have to be turned off but these make little or no difference to the game!
The game feels and plays exactly like counterstrike and has nearly all the same features.
The game will require little or no dynarec optimisation to run full speed,hurrah!

This will be my 1st port to the pandora and can be expected some time in early 2009 when I can get my hands on a pandora (missed the pre-ordering window).
ryan0

I think you've got yourself a bit confused there buddy. If you've got the linux source, there's no need for a dynarec...

Something tells me that this port is your first attempt at porting software in general and likely won't get completed.

sorry,english is not my 1st language,I'm French,moved to Ireland a year ago and my english is not very good yet!

If an app will not run on the hardware of the pandora then it will need code optomisation or dynarec,even if you have the source. e.g. the n64 emulator for the psp,the emulator was coded from scratch,so the creator had the source code for the app on the platform it was coded for.The emulator did not run fast enough so he used dynarec to speed it up.
You sir,are wrong.
And don't ever say what I will or won't do,don't even give me an opinion,because I don't care.

I've ported software before but I have never had to optomise it,usually windows to linux or coding apps for the PSP from scratch.
Tell me this:
Why so serious XD

I'd like ioQuake3 (mostly for Urban Terror). I've heard it mentioned as a good thing to port several times, but I haven't seen it in this thread, nor have I heard if it's being worked on.

I would love LOVE to see X-MOTO ported

Is it possible?
Im no expert but it seems like it should be
X-Moto is a free and open source 2D motocross platform game developed for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows, where physics play an all important role in the gameplay. The basic gameplay clones that of Elasto Mania, but the simulated physics are subtly different. The project was started in 2005. [1]

here is a link http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/

please

Capn_Fish said:
I'd like ioQuake3 (mostly for Urban Terror). I've heard it mentioned as a good thing to port several times, but I haven't seen it in this thread, nor have I heard if it's being worked on.

I think we'll see Quake 3 in some form or another, but I get the feeling people are forgetting about the VM. Getting an ARM VM interpreter working is not going to be an easy task, unless we have someone with a lot of know-how in ARM assembly help with porting it.

Otherwise, we'll see the game code having to be statically or dynamically compiled in ARM code, which isn't mod friendly, especailly if the mod you want to play dosn't have its game code available for compiling.

As far as I know, the pocket pc version of Quake 3 uses ARM dynamic libraries and dosn't support qvm's (although there does seem to be incomplete code there for it). Any other ports of Quake 3 to ARM devices out there?

Re: I would love LOVE to see X-MOTO ported

stupot said:
Is it possible?
Im no expert but it seems like it should be
X-Moto is a free and open source 2D motocross platform game developed for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows, where physics play an all important role in the gameplay. The basic gameplay clones that of Elasto Mania, but the simulated physics are subtly different. The project was started in 2005. [1]

here is a link http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/

please
Yes, it should be possible. I'd love to see this ported also

Spring

Though probably impossible, i'd still like to see if theres a speck of hope left for me.

This game based on the engine looks less demanding Kernel Panic
But hey, I don't know much about these things anyways.

Tom_Cooksey is porting ioQuake3, I'm pretty sure he has a dev board. He's posted about it on GP32X.

I think we'll see Quake 3 in some form or another, but I get the feeling people are forgetting about the VM. Getting an ARM VM interpreter working is not going to be an easy task, unless we have someone with a lot of know-how in ARM assembly help with porting it.
On X86, X86_64 and PPC architectures it can compile the bytecode to native, failing that it falls back on the interpreter. The interpreter is written in C and looks very portable to me. Obviously, not as fast as native but probably fast enough. What is a knowledge of ARM instructions required for? Unless your writing a compiler....

I would most definately like GZDoom and Skulltag, which are my favorite Doom source ports. And maybe even a portable Doom Builder? ^_^
I'll do a basic port of Zdoom from my GP2X sources. However its still got some nasty bugs. It might be a good basis for a GZdoom port.

Adventus said:
On X86, X86_64 and PPC architectures it can compile the bytecode to native, failing that it falls back on the interpreter. The interpreter is written in C and looks very portable to me. Obviously, not as fast as native but probably fast enough. What is a knowledge of ARM instructions required for? Unless your writing a compiler....

If the code was that portable, I'm sure the coder that ported quake 3 to the Pocket PC wouldn't of had to rely on dynamic linked libraries (.dll's) for the game code ;) maybe it was down to laziness, but I don't know, looks like he made a good attempt at it and managed to only get so far.

I tried porting Quake 3 to the psp but it was a real headache.

I am new so if this is a silly question just delete it..
Do you think a port or a clone of diablo is possible?

vixenreindeer said:
I am new so if this is a silly question just delete it..
Do you think a port or a clone of diablo is possible?
No, but there is a PSX version of Diablo that could run on PSX4Pandora.

Back