The Rabbit Joint

I finally gave Windows the boot, been running Debian Lenny for the last three days and loving it! :)

Drank bottle. Decided I don't like champagne. Going to the wholesalers tomorrow to pick up a boot load of beer to make up for it.

Alex. said:
I finally gave Windows the boot, been running Debian Lenny for the last three days and loving it! :)

I hadn't used windows in over six months (on my own machines anyway) as I hadn't needed to and then I won an iPod. Now I am in windows occasionally solely to use iTunes. It could be worse but I just feel like somehow Windows has made me it's bitch :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, IMO Linux on the desktop has a loooong way to go. I used to use openSUSE for a while and I had a really terrible experience. Most notably: a) Having to shut down the X server to install video drivers. B) Having these video drivers break(and get dumped at a console prompt with no clue as to what just happened) after I rebooted after the automatic update thingie install a new kernel version. I was getting kinda tired of having to jump through hoops to set up things that should Just Work™. I'm not saying that Linux can't be useful or that everybody will have a terrible time with it, but I'm definitely not trying it again for a long time.

(naw)mcx said:
Javacat said:
Drank bottle. Decided I don't like champagne. Going to the wholesalers tomorrow to pick up a boot load of beer to make up for it.
I thought I lived a lonely life.

It's not all for me <_< + I take some for more BBQs!

arrrgh said:
Eh, IMO Linux on the desktop has a loooong way to go. I used to use openSUSE for a while and I had a really terrible experience. Most notably: a) Having to shut down the X server to install video drivers. B) Having these video drivers break(and get dumped at a console prompt with no clue as to what just happened) after I rebooted after the automatic update thingie install a new kernel version. I was getting kinda tired of having to jump through hoops to set up things that should Just Work™. I'm not saying that Linux can't be useful or that everybody will have a terrible time with it, but I'm definitely not trying it again for a long time.

At work, I just re-installed Windows on a 4-year old machine only to find that it had no graphics, audio, or (most importantly) ethernet drivers installed by default. The whole thing is standard Intel parts, nothing fancy or exotic. On a Linux install, all of these would work out of the box (I know this from experience), or at the very least, networking would and I could apt-get/yum install whatever else I needed. It has been almost a decade since I've installed Linux or BSD on a machine and not had wired networking from the get-go. So driver hassles are a problem on every OS. I've had to jump through more hoops on Windows than I have in Linux since 2003 or so. But hey, if you're happy with Windows, don't let me stop you. I'm just saying, shit happens.

To quote Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie, "Every OS Sucks".

In happier news, I hadn't been to a football game (not soccer, sorry Euros) in ages and it was awesome to see the Eskies stomp all over the Alouettes after losing to them recently. Good times were had, even though we were way up in the cheap seats.

Peter R said:
Alex. said:

I hadn't used windows in over six months (on my own machines anyway) as I hadn't needed to and then I won an iPod. Now I am in windows occasionally solely to use iTunes. It could be worse but I just feel like somehow Windows has made me it's bitch :( .

Install rockbox, then you can manage music from whichever platform supports using the iPod as a USB Mass Storage Device

You may have luck with the development build of gtkpod, depending on your iPod Touch version. Also, there's apparently a way to manage it via SSH, although I've never looked into it.

Back