The Random Thoughts Thread

What the hell is up with that? The software setup for the ripper I'm using is exactly the same on both the Macintosh and the Xubuntu box. Is this some Mac OS X thing, perhaps? If so, that's not cool at all.

It probably has something to do with the kind of dvd drive that's in there... I'm not sure, but I believe there's a 'security' feature on a lot of discs that prevent them from being ripped in a lot of drives.

Then again, I may be wrong.

Random Thought: Does anybody else think there should be a hunting season for these things?
lady_gaga.jpg

Random thought: I am seriously unimpressed with Apple's computers right now. I've traditionally found them to be alright, and I have a MacBook as a secondary machine because it has a bit more grunt than my workhorse ThinkPad, and because there are occasions where I come across software that requires Mac OS X or Microsoft Windows (since I don't get on well with Microsoft Windows my preference for a machine to serve this purpose is a Macintosh). I also use it for ripping my DVDs (for use on my Pandora) using HandBrake.

I've noticed, of late, that newer DVDs cannot be read for this purpose on this machine, and that scanning to attempt to do so takes at least an hour (and usually more than that), and I had until today been putting it down to DVD publishers trying to foil this usage. However, in frustration I just took some time out to set up HandBrake on my workhorse box, and I found that not only did it read the DVD fine, it was able to rip it perfectly as well.

What the hell is up with that? The software setup for the ripper I'm using is exactly the same on both the Macintosh and the Xubuntu box. Is this some Mac OS X thing, perhaps? If so, that's not cool at all.
Now here's a subject that I know a lot about. Do you have the DeCSS package installed on your xubuntu box? You'd have to, actually. I can guarantee that your Mac has a decrypter built into the OS. If anything, I'd be willing to bet that your Apple conforms to industry standards for protection (and therefore speed/ways it will read the disc), while your Linux box does not (and therefore actually works).

It probably has something to do with the kind of dvd drive that's in there... I'm not sure, but I believe there's a 'security' feature on a lot of discs that prevent them from being ripped in a lot of drives.

Then again, I may be wrong.
It could also be this. I've removed the "rip lock" feature from drives' firmware before. That keeps your drive from reading pressed (commercial) DVD's at high speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now here's a subject that I know a lot about. Do you have the DeCSS package installed on your xubuntu box? You'd have to, actually.
Indeed I do. :p

I can guarantee that your Mac has a decrypter built into the OS. If anything, I'd be willing to bet that your Apple conforms to industry standards for protection (and therefore speed/ways it will read the disc), while your Linux box does not (and therefore actually works).
That's what I was leaning towards. The funny thing is, it only seems to have been occurring with discs released within the last year or two.

Most likely the disc structure (physical ways the sectors are laid out) is setup in such as way as to confound a computer's DVD drive. Stand-alone DVD players don't suffer from this problem (nor does Linux with the proper setup).

I used to use AnyDVD on my Windows box years ago when I was backing up my movie collection. You'd be amazed at the speed difference when it was turned an (and therefore ignored the disc's trickery) and when it was off (and therefore conformed to protection standards).

I'd look to see if AnyDVD is available on Mac - or some (possibly free) equivalent - to see if that's where the problem exists.

I used to use AnyDVD on my Windows box years ago when I was backing up my movie collection. You'd be amazed at the speed difference when it was turned an (and therefore ignored the disc's trickery) and when it was off (and therefore conformed to protection standards).
That alone narrows it down. Hours to scan on my Mac, seconds on my Linux box. :p

I'd look to see if AnyDVD is available on Mac - or some (possibly free) equivalent - to see if that's where the problem exists.
Nah - I'm happy enough just using my Linux box for this. :) I'd only gotten used to it on the Mac because previously there wasn't a build of HandBrake for the version of *buntu I was using - there now is, so all is well!

I've been having dreams about my ex-girlfriend. Good dreams. Makes me... well, I don't like waking up from them. I haven't slept in over a day. Coming up on two right now (2:15ish here). I've been trying to get her out of my head for around two years now and every passing thought has her in it in some way or another. The last thing I want in the world is to dream about her as well.

I've been having dreams about my ex-girlfriend. Good dreams. Makes me... well, I don't like waking up from them. I haven't slept in over a day. Coming up on two right now (2:15ish here). I've been trying to get her out of my head for around two years now and every passing thought has her in it in some way or another. The last thing I want in the world is to dream about her as well.

That's though. I've been there. The only cure for me is to find a new girlfriend.

I hope it was very wet.

go talk to her. only two things can happen from it, one, you'll get closure, two, you'll get back together and realize why you broke up in the first place. and as mentioned, the best way to forget about a womans touch is to get another ones touch

I've been in that situation, I'm still there even. It's tough, but eventually, a time comes to move on. Take your time though.

If there's no hope left, take some distance from her. It really helps.

-lada gaga picture-
Meh, still not my type though. :)

What about Kat Dennings?

Back