The Reason There Is No Full Firmware Update

Pickle posted on May 22 2009 at 04:05 AM said:
Peter R posted on May 21 2009 at 10:14 PM said:
I may be drunk but I gather not to run this?
DO NOT RUN IT!
LOL id say dont run it , it prolly will brick you

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually found an official gph (pre 1.0) update sitting on my drive. I remember now why it didn't work - GPH seem to completely blank the nand as part of the update and reformat/repartition, they use direct sector sizes and numbers to do this, so of course the update breaks.

Glad I went to sleep yesterday without running this. Hopefully we can fix this later with recovery kernel, those peripheral boot modes (if they work) or some other way.

Are you sure you had FW 0.7.1 running before you were using these files?

@Squidge: It shouldn't be an issue with the new NAND setup, as that file I sent is simply a tar archive which extracts the new files onto the NAND...

I THINK I know what the problem is:
The libraries from 0.7.1 to 1.0.0 don't seem to have changed, so it worked from there.

From 0.3 (the latest pre-release) to 1.0.0, libraries have changed, so the 1.0.0 kernel will not work with the 0.3 filesystem and therefore it segfaults.
It might have worked FIRST running the unpack.gpe and AFTER that doing the kernel flash... damn, should have thought of that :)

For guys with a BoB who already upgraded the kernel: You could try to unpack the files onto the NAND manually, it might fix it.

I'll try that out as soon as I come home.

Don't worry, I got a 0.3 full flash, so we can restore the 0.3 on the Pre-Release units.

Basically, you'll only need to flash the 0.3 kernel to make it work again :)

EvilDragon posted on May 22 2009 at 05:13 AM said:
@Squidge: It shouldn't be an issue with the new NAND setup, as that file I sent is simply a tar archive which extracts the new files onto the NAND...

I THINK I know what the problem is:
The libraries from 0.7.1 to 1.0.0 don't seem to have changed, so it worked from there.

From 0.3 (the latest pre-release) to 1.0.0, libraries have changed, so the 1.0.0 kernel will not work with the 0.3 filesystem and therefore it segfaults.
It might have worked FIRST running the unpack.gpe and AFTER that doing the kernel flash... damn, should have thought of that :)

For guys with a BoB who already upgraded the kernel: You could try to unpack the files onto the NAND manually, it might fix it.

I'll try that out as soon as I come home.

Don't worry, I got a 0.3 full flash, so we can restore the 0.3 on the Pre-Release units.

Basically, you'll only need to flash the 0.3 kernel to make it work again :)

So should people with dev units go to FW 0.7.1 first, THEN to 1.0.0?

EvilDragon posted on May 22 2009 at 11:13 AM said:
Yups, I still had 0.7.1 on it, I own a Wiz just before the release, though it looks all black and the stylus is different...

RX Shorty posted on May 22 2009 at 02:31 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on May 22 2009 at 11:13 AM said:
Yups, I still had 0.7.1 on it, I own a Wiz just before the release, though it looks all black and the stylus is different...
That's weird, why would your 0.7.1 be any different than the 0.7.1 I got from GPH? :eek:
You first flashed the Kernel to 1.0.0... did it work AFTER that?
Or did it stop working AFTER you copied everything?

I just checked, my previously 0.7.1 one does still work without any problems.

Well, whoever has the OLD pre-production unit, PM me for a full flash you SHOULD be able to fix it with that.

According to Pickle, that doesn't work for the moment... which is VERY weird. What the heck has GPH done that a full flash won't fully flash? :eek:

I'm sending them an eMail to ask what happened and how to fix it. After all, all with a pre-production unit usually got a BoB, so it should be fixable with that...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on May 22 2009 at 03:27 PM said:
That's weird, why would your 0.7.1 be any different than the 0.7.1 I got from GPH? :eek:
You first flashed the Kernel to 1.0.0... did it work AFTER that?
Or did it stop working AFTER you copied everything?
Well it did work after flashing yes.
It did stop working after the files where copied.

ok, I've tried tried updating the kernel to one from Wiz_1[1].0.0_R14_090515.zip (haven't touched the filesystem), and now it says:
CODE
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

obviously it doesn't boot any further now and is bricked. If anyone has the original 0.7.1 kernel (or is it 0.17? For me it was showing 0.17 both in menu and serial), please PM me.

PM'ed you.
So on the old units, 0.7.1 nor 1.0.0 doesn't seem to work for the moment.
If you extract the 1.0.0 files onto a 0.3 firmware, it doesn't find any runlevel... damn.

Gonna pester GPH about a 1.0.0 full flash for old units. After all, devs releasing non-working stuff is not a good thing.

On the latest pre-production units which came with 0.7.1 preinstalled, 1.0.0 works fine (at least on my unit).

EvilDragon posted on May 23 2009 at 11:46 AM said:
PM'ed you.
Thanks. Now I have "full" 0.3.0, 0.7.1 and 1.0.0 (bootloader+kernel from GPH, filesystem dump from ED). Those "full" updates seem to rely on working system to boot and run gp2xupdate.gpu from SD card to update the filesystem. But for me kernel can't boot because it can't find init for some reason, so it can't run gp2xupdate.gpu and do the update. F*ck.

I wonder what has actually happened to my filesystem. I'm sure I haven't deleted any files, but I had it accidently filled once when trying to copy the old files (they copied to flash instead of SD card). Probably then it corrupted somewhow, I guess writing to root filesystem is not very safe.

However I have a copy of files that came with my wiz, and they are very different to ones in 0.7.1 update. Maybe it really was 0.17 firmware, like the menu and terminal said (they are even dated 2008.10.17)? The menu was very slow, maybe 2-3 fps.

notaz posted on May 23 2009 at 07:34 AM said:
But for me kernel can't boot because it can't find init for some reason, so it can't run gp2xupdate.gpu and do the update. F*ck.
Welcome to the brick your wiz club :p

Eee

If an official firmware update bricks your unit, will they send you a new one?

Mine doesn't do much either, but I did spend a LONG time trying to get SSNES to work on it properly, including sound.

When it stopped booting up, I lost interest in the project.

All I get now is the GPH logo, followed by it switching off again.

The following appears on the serial port:
"Segmentation fault
battry low level => power off
GO GO GO Power off"

If I connect power to it from my PC's USB port, then it just scrolls the last two lines up the screen constantly.

notaz posted on May 23 2009 at 01:34 PM) [quote="EvilDragon posted on May 23 2009 at 11:46 AM said:
PM'ed you.
Thanks. Now I have "full" 0.3.0, 0.7.1 and 1.0.0 (bootloader+kernel from GPH, filesystem dump from ED). Those "full" updates seem to rely on working system to boot and run gp2xupdate.gpu from SD card to update the filesystem. But for me kernel can't boot because it can't find init for some reason, so it can't run gp2xupdate.gpu and do the update. F*ck.

I wonder what has actually happened to my filesystem. I'm sure I haven't deleted any files, but I had it accidently filled once when trying to copy the old files (they copied to flash instead of SD card). Probably then it corrupted somewhow, I guess writing to root filesystem is not very safe.

However I have a copy of files that came with my wiz, and they are very different to ones in 0.7.1 update. Maybe it really was 0.17 firmware, like the menu and terminal said (they are even dated 2008.10.17"]? The menu was very slow, maybe 2-3 fps.[/quote]That definately was 0.17 with the Flash menu.
0.7.1 was the latest one before the 1.0.0 release with the non-flash menu.

But that NAND-error problem could be what happened with RXShortys WIZ. It had some problems from the very beginning, so maybe the NAND got corrupted while copying those files, too?
That would explain why it worked on my unit.

Anyways, I hope GPH can provide me with some more information. We all got the BOB which can put the WIZ into UART or MEM Boot mode, so we can boot without the NAND and therefore we should be able to fix the NAND, too.

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on May 23 2009 at 01:07 PM) [quote="notaz posted on May 23 2009 at 01:34 PM) [quote="EvilDragon posted on May 23 2009 at 11:46 AM said:
PM'ed you.

I wonder what has actually happened to my filesystem. I'm sure I haven't deleted any files, but I had it accidently filled once when trying to copy the old files (they copied to flash instead of SD card"]. Probably then it corrupted somewhow, I guess writing to root filesystem is not very safe.

However I have a copy of files that came with my wiz, and they are very different to ones in 0.7.1 update. Maybe it really was 0.17 firmware, like the menu and terminal said (they are even dated 2008.10.17"]? The menu was very slow, maybe 2-3 fps.[/quote]That definately was 0.17 with the Flash menu.
0.7.1 was the latest one before the 1.0.0 release with the non-flash menu.

But that NAND-error problem could be what happened with RXShortys WIZ. It had some problems from the very beginning, so maybe the NAND got corrupted while copying those files, too?
That would explain why it worked on my unit.

Anyways, I hope GPH can provide me with some more information. We all got the BOB which can put the WIZ into UART or MEM Boot mode, so we can boot without the NAND and therefore we should be able to fix the NAND, too.[/quote]
Great news! Haha, this puts me at so much ease now!

Back