The Reason There Is No Full Firmware Update

Much obliged to all of you, the update went fine. It's good to be on common grounds with the release units.

It was a pleasant surprise to find the built-in games in there too, I never tried the flash player until now.

I had to run it in twice, but it worked second time. (First time only the boot loader changed). Works well enough (though with the usual USB not working, etc. Coudl be BoB?)

jeff

Same for me, after 2 runs (1st seemed to work but it panicked at the end of the cat of the massive vfat virtual partition that they seem to write straight to a chunk of NAND :blink:) it now seems my pre-release Wiz is happily running all of the 1.0 firmware not some hacked up halfway house.

That said, it's interesting that the upgrade screens are for the Vocamaster hardware (the so called F300 GP2X) not the Wiz. I still find it odd that GPH are basically wrapping the same hardware into 2 form factors but I guess they have there reasons ;). I'll have to get my hands on an F300 one of these days :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz posted on May 27 2009 at 11:13 AM said:
Worked for me too.
it now seems my pre-release Wiz is happily running all of the 1.0 firmware not some hacked up halfway house.

Yeah, what were they thinking with that vfat partition? It won't be long until we see reports of dead NAND user partitions.
Thank you for this! it allowed me to downgrade my wiz back to 1.000 from 1.01 ...101 has terrible screen tearing, I can live without better video for now

:)

If by better video you just mean the video player, then you should be able to copy the video player from the new firmware and dump it into the 1.00 firmware. As far as I'm aware, the video and flash apps are a single file in /usr/gp2x.

If by better video you just mean the video player, then you should be able to copy the video player from the new firmware and dump it into the 1.00 firmware. As far as I'm aware, the video and flash apps are a single file in /usr/gp2x.
Yes, that's correct.

"TCPMP.gpe" is the video player, "EmflashPlayer.gpe" the Flash application.

i just got my wiz today its on 1.00 firmware i dont really want to upgrade it now after reading this thread i mite just wait untill they iron out all the bitnbobs first then upgrade but i really like the wiz over the dingoo.

Well this doesn't really apply to you.
We have prototypes with firmwares less then the 1.00 version you have.
You could easily upgrade tot 1.01 without problems.

:)

I upgraded to 1.01 and i have to say the screen tearing was a hell of alot worse. I know some have said its in the mind, but when using picodrive after the upgrade the tearing was pretty constant. Ive downgraded again and it's still there but it's not half as bad as the new firmware.

I upgraded to 1.01 and i have to say the screen tearing was a hell of alot worse. I know some have said its in the mind, but when using picodrive after the upgrade the tearing was pretty constant. Ive downgraded again and it's still there but it's not half as bad as the new firmware.
I can't confirm this, but I'm not using PicoDrive. I think 1.0.1 is the best choice and recommend the update...

Back