The Reason There Is No Full Firmware Update

Hm, I just remember that my first WIZ broke the filesystem after changing the theme and language for a few times... looks like the pre-production models really had some filesystem issues :/

Source code would also help to resolve this. The firmware kernel is very minimal and doesn't support ext2 or even initrd.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=245689
^ There is an old kernel source, and the latest SDL source I was given up there (as well as the 2.6.27 port I was arsing around with). I do have a much later kernel source. I didn't upload it before release because I was asked not to (I don't know why, but equally I don't care since it is nothing to do with me). People are now entitled to the source however, so I will try and find it. Similarly, I will try and find a copy of the bootloader source and the recovery app. Oh, and GPH said something a while back about being able to boot a file called 'uImageUP' straight off SD, I never actually tried it though.

I don't know how up to date these things will be, but they should be at least pretty close to latest.

Serial recovery tool:
http://x11.gp2x.de/openwiz/pollux-loader.zip
NOTE: The included polluxb is ancient, don't use it.

1. Set J9 low, J5 high.
2. Run the tool and set to the right COM port.
3. Serial Port > UartBoot_16K.
4. Press '1'.
5. Serial Port > Transmit, NAND.nb0.
6. Press '2'.
7. Serial Port > Transmit, Choose your bootloader file.
8. Press '4' to write to NAND, or '3' to run the image you downloaded.

(The rest of the stuff is on its way, just taking ages to upload)

Orkie posted on May 25 2009 at 01:33 PM said:
Thanks!

Orkie posted on May 25 2009 at 01:33 PM said:
Oh, and GPH said something a while back about being able to boot a file called 'uImageUP' straight off SD, I never actually tried it though.
Yeah I've already tried that, just need to be holding R on power up and it loads the kernel from SD. Just need to remember not to have polluxb and uImage on SD or those will be flashed too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone used Orkie's recovery tool yet with success?

Update: ok i played with it a little and Orkie's steps dont match up with what i saw, i select the 16k option and it wants me to select a file to download. Press number keys does nothing.
I also think with my bob the first 2 switches are supposed to be in the low postion

I also got a reply from GPH, they will see what they can do and if they can offer a special 1.0.0 for you :)

Sorry, for the first step, you need to chose UART.nb0. The number keys will of course only work when there is an app running which listens over serial :p. It does work, honest - it is an official MES tool.

This one is bootloader recovery tool, isn't it? Pickle, IIRC your booloader was fine, we need to fix our filesystems, not bootloader.

notaz posted on May 25 2009 at 11:16 AM said:
This one is bootloader recovery tool, isn't it? Pickle, IIRC your booloader was fine, we need to fix our filesystems, not bootloader.
Yeah im in the same spot you are so bootloader and kernel are fine

ED: keep us posted :)

I remember having an initrd from GPH which basically blanked the nand, formatted, copied some files over and then crashed. I don't think the last step was intentional, but it might allow you to get a shell prompt so you can extract Ed's file system. I think it also overwrote your kernel with one that gave you a garbled gp2xmenu, but updating the kernel should clear that.

Now to remember where I put it, or whether or not I deleted it because of the above (I think it was meant for units with different nand than mine, hence the 'issues')

Hiya!

I got the 1.0.0 full flash firmware for you devs :D

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY FOR DEVS WITH A BRICKED WIZ, NOT INTENDED FOR NORMAL USERS YET!

I used it to restore my bricked v0.3 WIZ (the same unit from last year October most of you guys got) and it worked flawlessly :)

Just extract everything onto the SD Card, switch on the WIZ and keep L and R pressed as usual until you get the "Upgrading Firmware".

It displays VocaMaster while updating ;)

The update takes about 10 minutes and the only way to find out that it finished updating is checking the serial console output (it says "All work done" :))

In case you don't have serial output, just start it, have some nice coffee and come back after 15 minutes.

Switch it off after it finished and a nice v1.0.0 should reboot your WIZ.

Okay, now Come and get it :)

Is this good for a dev w/o a bricked Wiz too? I want to have the same firmware as everyone else.

Exophase posted on May 26 2009 at 01:31 AM said:
Is this good for a dev w/o a bricked Wiz too? I want to have the same firmware as everyone else.
Sure, it should work ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Evil!

To those who try it on non-bricked dev units, please post if it worked out fine. I don't want to risk too much, not having a BOB and all :D

Alex. posted on May 25 2009 at 07:51 PM said:
Thanks Evil!

To those who try it on non-bricked dev units, please post if it worked out fine. I don't want to risk too much, not having a BOB and all :D
Mine was bricked and the update works.

Alex, it really doesnt appear to matter if it the wiz is stuck or not. Just be aware that the wiz does not reboot once its finished, it will say work complete at the end, but without a bob your better just letting it sit for a good amount of time.

Thanks ED. The update worked fine for me - you should be clear too Alex.

Going to test USB and see how Temper works.

EDIT: USB doesn't work, Temper = black screen. I'd really like to know what they did to prevent this from working. It's not crashing or stalling, it even plays audio. Just nothing on the screen.

EDIT2: Actually, it turns out code to try to switch to 320x240 mode (which it already is) was breaking it, but not just then.. permanently until the menu was started up again, which made me think that everything was broken. It's working okay now, but there's a bug with going into the menu that needs to be fixed. It also feels kinda choppy, so I might want to see if vsync can be done or something..

Exophase posted on May 25 2009 at 06:20 PM said:
Thanks ED. The update worked fine for me - you should be clear too Alex.

Going to test USB and see how Temper works.
So, if I brick, I'll be able to use this to restore my firmware?

Back