The 'select' Button

Gruso said:
"TILT" :p

I like the program switching idea, and I think the word Select fits it nicely (select app, swap app, switch app, all the same thing really). Sometimes the status quo is the best way to go, imo. Yo.
I think a "select" button that can't be used as select in emulators is a pretty bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
I think a "select" button that can't be used as select in emulators is a pretty bad idea.
Good point. For some reason I was thinking that it could have the usual emu functions when emulating, and the "app swap" function when running native Pandora programs. But considering that the emu itself will be a native app, that could get complicated.

Exophase said:
Gruso said:
"TILT" :p

I like the program switching idea, and I think the word Select fits it nicely (select app, swap app, switch app, all the same thing really). Sometimes the status quo is the best way to go, imo. Yo.

I agree. I think the three should be start, select, and Pandora. I like the idea of the Pandora button a lot. What about a button that can truly be customized? An LCD button that displays whatever words you want on it? Now that would be money well spent! :D

Leave it blank, we could call them symbolicaly M1 M2 M3...M is for middle.

Last week, when I saw the new render with those blank keys, it looked less bloated, give some space in the middle area of the unit!

I like it the way it is in the render.

How about this - Reduce the font size of DEL on the delete key and print SELECT above it. Now you have an easy-to-reach select button for the emulators that need one.

bad edit, anyway of canceling a post! ;)

while we're at it, I would even consider another font for the labelling of the keys
The one used is not that bad, but a more straightfoward font would be nice

Here's my opinion:

START and SELECT are generic and mapped however any program wants to use them. In an emulator they are exactly what they say. In a web browser, SELECT could switch tabs if multiple pages are open. These buttons can be anything to any program.

The MENU button (now considering a Pandora logo, how cool is that? :)) would be tied to the OS. Obviously, hitting it should not automatically kick you out of anything because mistakes happen but it could bring up a task manager that you can use to switch between tasks, kill tasks, go into standby (power button can do that too), enter a kernel menu with all kinds of stuff (like what to do when lid gets closed of power button cycled) or just cancel and go back to the current task running. To me that seems really handy, what do others think?

A Pandora button logo for the Menu button would be pretty cool. The task manager idea sound goods too - something like the Home button on PSP (but better).

So long as apps can override these buttons for their own uses if needed. For example, I was thinking how nicely they'd map to Start/Select/Option in an Atari 800 emulator. But if Menu needs to be hard coded to the kernel menu, that's fine too. There's plenty of other ways to map things.

Prophet said:
So long as apps can override these buttons for their own uses if needed.
Actually, I like the idea of the software application not being able to control that button. It might be a nice way to get out of a stuck program as long as the kernel isn't crashed. Plus it kind of is like the HOME button on the PSP and it should always have the same function on everyone's system all the times.

MWeston said:
Prophet said:
So long as apps can override these buttons for their own uses if needed.
Actually, I like the idea of the software application not being able to control that button. It might be a nice way to get out of a stuck program as long as the kernel isn't crashed. Plus it kind of is like the HOME button on the PSP and it should always have the same function on everyone's system all the times.

Yes, good idea.

Pandora Button. Get back to the OS and give me options! Dude, seriously just make a poll now that people have contributed their ideas.

I also like the North South East West layout others have suggested for the right side buttons.

Something like this would work as a simple program switcher with one-botton options to go out to the main UI or to system settings. Basic system stats are an added bonus.
popupmenufw7.th.jpg

Of course, the real one should look less crappy.

The only problem with keeping the select button and making the menu/pandora button bring up this menu is that it leaves no menu button for the software. We still need to drop the select button to get both system menu and software menu buttons.

I vote for an "ANY" key - I can never find it on my keyboard when the app asks me to "press any key" :p

A Pandora button that exits the current app and returns to the Pandora menu is OK, but only if the app asks if this is OK first - I wouldn't want to press the button by accident and quit a game I've been playing for hours without warning.

iprice said:
I vote for an "ANY" key - I can never find it on my keyboard when the app asks me to "press any key" :p

A Pandora button that exits the current app and returns to the Pandora menu is OK, but only if the app asks if this is OK first - I wouldn't want to press the button by accident and quit a game I've been playing for hours without warning.
I agree, a button quick knocks you back to the OS (or even terminal mode) would be useful but not so close to the START button.

Whatever we call this button of course arbitrary anyway, why call it anything? The render with the 3 buttons in the middle that arnt mapped looks cool.

If we must label it tho, I would vote for some greek/mathematical symbol, Pi is universally loved, personally I'd vote for aleph-null ... because it's hip to be square.

iprice said:
Good point - perhaps Fn+pandora key could be automatic exit, and pandora by itself something else.

MWeston said:
Here's my opinion:

START and SELECT are generic and mapped however any program wants to use them. In an emulator they are exactly what they say. In a web browser, SELECT could switch tabs if multiple pages are open. These buttons can be anything to any program.

The MENU button (now considering a Pandora logo, how cool is that? :)) would be tied to the OS. Obviously, hitting it should not automatically kick you out of anything because mistakes happen but it could bring up a task manager that you can use to switch between tasks, kill tasks, go into standby (power button can do that too), enter a kernel menu with all kinds of stuff (like what to do when lid gets closed of power button cycled) or just cancel and go back to the current task running. To me that seems really handy, what do others think?
Sounds perfect to me. Menu brings up task manager, but becomes known as the Pandora button. Start and Select stay as they are :)

I concur with MWeston's idea.

OS locked Pandora button(Menu button with logo) that allows task switching for the definite win.

However, if people are really concerned about the position juxtaposed the start button(personally I don't see it), maybe recess the button a bit further in(or put a raised border around it) so you really have to push it intentionally to switch tasks and it'd be a really cheap and easy way to provide it its own tactile feedback for those too glued to the screen to look at what their thumbs are fiddling with.

butpan.jpg

Ugh, I don't care what you call it, as long as what it does pleases me :p.

I thought the Xbox had a Select button too?

I would vote for Home or Alt-Tab type of functionality, but then the emulators that need it would have trouble stealing it. I say leave it as select.

Back