This Thing Is All Kinds of Awesome

I really like Evopedia: It's an offline Wikipedia reader which means you can put the complete Wikipedia (with equations, but without pictures) in your language of choice in your pocket. I have collected a few tips for using it in the following posts:

http://boards.openpa...ra/#entry182467

http://boards.openpa..._40#entry183903

Hummm....seems to take a lot of room, English version 13.8 GB.

I got a 32 GB card at the moment...nothing in slot 2.

I'm wanting to get all my music on here before go eating up too much GB space.

Maybe I could put something like that on a second card.

By the way, when you DO a second card, I assume it also needs to be formatted to FAT32...

do you put the same folders in there, you know...

apps

appdata

desktop

menu

And then does it read everything from both cards, and put it all in the right place when you boot up?

I'm totally curious just because have so far done nothing with Slot 2 and even thought of putting an unformatted 1GB card in there for the moment, just to avoid the possibility of any junk getting in the slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes make the folders the same.

It should put everything in the right place without rebooting.

The two slots act independently so if you put a PND on the second card it will use the appdata directory on the same card.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes make the folders the same.

It should put everything in the right place without rebooting.

The two slots act independently so if you put a PND on the second card it will use the appdata directory on the same card.

Thanks.

By the way, would you then get TWO icons for SD Cards on your desktop?

If so I'd have to resort to desktop settings to remove them, then, my desktop is crowded enough with all the good stuff.

It is kinda helpful to have ONE icon show up though, then you know immediately if your card mounted right.

Yes two would show up..

Personally I hate a cluttered desktop, why I put every thing in the menu directory..

Personal taste. I like my REALLY COOL STUFF to be right on the desktop...and everything else in menu.

This is why my desktop currently has

PSXreARMed

FBA

GPFCE

SNES

GPSP

GNGB

PicoDrive

Hugo

Atari 7800

PanMAME

MAME4ALL

QOrganizer and

RACE

plus the SD card shows up.

That leaves two open spaces on my desktop left...

One is going to be for my audio player...I'm thinking I like the look of Rockbox...

The other...for another cool emu. Perhaps GNGEO

At which point I'll have to start taking some things to menu-only...probably starting with GNGB, as that is just GB/GBC, and I usually do more GBA stuff...after that, maybe the Organizer....

But I certainly don't want 2 SD card icons, so that will have to go when I get a second card...

LOL, I'd have to get all the ROMs, but I know where to do that...again, because it is a system I'm not very familiar with, I'm wondering what kinds of games does it have that might appeal to me?

Keeping in mind that for me, growing up, the Atari 2600 was high-flying technology. Keeping in mind that when someone says "video game" the image that comes to my mind is Space Invaders.

Basically, I'm VERY old-school in my video game likes. Although, when I'm in the right kind of mood, I am known to enjoy thousand-bullet-hell type games.

my tastes tend to the same as well. i can recommend Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Wipeout3, Front Mission series, Carnage Heart, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Tail of the Sun (or anything else from Artdink). the Bushido Blade series are very good fighting games.

Ah....since you HAVE Rockbox, I have to ask you about it....do you put your music files all jumbled in one big folder?? Or are they in folders by artist and album title....so that the app can tell you onscreen what the song title and artist are, the way my Sandisk MP3 player does it?

You can disable showing external media on the desktop, it's in the desktop settings (right click on the desktop to get to it).

I knew about that, thanks. Got rid of the "File System" "Home" and "Trash" icons that way. I know how to lose the SD Card icon, too, just don't want to, yet.

Ah....since you HAVE Rockbox, I have to ask you about it....do you put your music files all jumbled in one big folder?? Or are they in folders by artist and album title....so that the app can tell you onscreen what the song title and artist are, the way my Sandisk MP3 player does it?

At the moment I only have Beethoven on it :) . It's sorted by symphonies / piano sonatas / other stuff.

Doesn't it display the ID3 info anyway? Maybe if that's not available, it falls back to foldername - filename or something...

At the moment I only have Beethoven on it :) . It's sorted by symphonies / piano sonatas / other stuff.

Doesn't it display the ID3 info anyway? Maybe if that's not available, it falls back to foldername - filename or something...
That's kinda what I was asking you, as you are currently using Rockbox.

I have it installed, but no music on it yet. I'm waiting till I get all my emulators running everything I want and the basic apps I want, then putting more memory-intensive music files on...then whatever space I have left can be used for more memory-intensive apps.

A bit of topic as the program is not pandora related (yet?).

Few years ago I decided to ditch winamp for a better music player on my PC.

I have full rage against i-tunes and the main stream, I hate when such attempts to rename my songs or are not able to organize things based on my folder structure.

I finally found FOOBAR, and that is going to live for a long time in my comp.

It is not open source unfortunantly as it looks like it would be good on the pandora too.

I put two Bon Jovi songs on Rockbox, just for shiggles to see how it worked.

It took .OGG music files, which tripped me out. Wasn't expecting that. Most of my files are .MP3

Nevertheless, I just put the files in there, and guess what it did?

It knew the Song title, Artist, and Album. No extra files/folders needed, like my old Sandisk.

I still need to figure out the controls on Rockbox - it might be helpful if whoever did this awesome app were to provide some documentation about controls, but I saw none.

It seems once you're listening to music, the only way to adjust controls is to kill the app and re-start....I can't get back to the controls menu. When I do...by pressing the C button...the menu comes up, and does not respond to the d-pad or anything...so you can do nothing with the menu. And you gotta press all kinds of buttons then to make it go back away.

Of course, the volume can be controlled with the volume wheel...and I figured out how to rewind, fast forward and skip tracks while playing...but, beyond that...I'm clueless on the controls. But it's definitely a nice app.

Anyone with more experience with Rockbox who can address the controls for me, would be much appreciated.

Back